Is it time for the agree and CMU buttons to go?

Comments

• Perhaps add a disagree/thumbs down button on there?
  • Don't you think that will make it worse?
  • KHA

I'd definitely be against that.

I can see a benefit to being positive without having to say why, but not one for being negative.
  • I don't think so, many sites have a thumbs-up and thumbs down buttons, gives users a chance to agree/disagree anonymously... sometimes people don't have time to get into a debate and put their case forward as to why they they agreed with a post or not.
  • KHA

It's always been a conscious decision not to allow anonymous negative posts on here.

I accept people haven't always got time to chip in, but for me, in the context of this forum, if you are going to disagree I think you should at least have to say why.
  • edited January 2017
    tbh, I think that's a good reason for NOT having the buttons. (to KHAs post)

I can see why other sites like Facebook do, or you see them below various news articles on newspaper websites. They serve a purpose there. They allow a bit of reader participation and (where it's a site that clicks matter - eg for advertising revenue) it garners them money. For Facebook, 'likes' are not anonymous.

Neither of those types of sites are set up as discussion forums, though. So again, I can see that having 'click buttons' creates a sense of being involved.

But this site IS a discussion forum, so I think its reasonable to not go out of the way to create something that encourages people NOT to discuss. ;hmm

If we want people be able to have an input without a discussion (eg, Payet - sell now or keep) we always have the poll option.

That would allow a view to be registered anonymously on the issue rather than attaching the 'agree' to a particular user's post. (Which is what is and has caused some upset.)
  • I see no reason to get rid of the buttons at all.
  • Fair points Mr and Mrs Grey, then imo the cmu and agree buttons should also go as they too are anonymous. I have clicked many times on agree or cmu as I haven't had time to comment further on a subject or post.
  • KHA ;ok

Herb, so what about the concerns that have been raised as to their use, and the effect on people. Any thoughts?
  • Personally I like the buttons and use them a lot.

I think they add value.

However, if they are contributing to any sort of hate campaign against a user then imo they should go.
  • I think the buttons add more to the site than they detract. Perhaps we should have a vote. Although if the result runs contra to my wishes I reserve the right to ask for another vote, seek recourse through the courts, consult Nicola Sturgeon on the possibility of independence and enlist Boris and his bus as a future campaign leader.

#saveourbuttons
  • Personally I like the buttons and use them a lot.

I think they add value.

However, if they are contributing to any sort of hate campaign against a user then imo they should go.

The buttons or the user?
  • Fair points Mr and Mrs Grey, then imo the cmu and agree buttons should also go as they too are anonymous. I have clicked many times on agree or cmu as I haven't had time to comment further on a subject or post.

The difference being that if you agree with a post, you're saying that this post conveys my opinion on the matter. Therefore unless you have addition information to add, you don't need to add further comment, as the post you agreed with should contain your view.

Where as if you disagree with someone, then you should take the time to explain why you disagree with their opinion.
  • Pot Noodles
  • There is a new Vietnamese Curry flavour. Its not poodle.
  • Moojor said:

The difference being that if you agree with a post, you're saying that this post conveys my opinion on the matter.

That is one of the issues though - some feel that people are (sometimes) using the Agree button for something else entirely. (I don't know, obviously, if this is in fact the case.)
  • Mrs G,

I guess people use the buttons in different ways, or that is what is being implied. I personally use them at face value.

If there is considered to be campaigns against individuals, which is obviously wrong, then that is when the mods should come into play isn't it?
    By the same token if there are a lot of Agrees on a counter opinion to the one you may have posted then so be it. At various stages we have all been in the majority or minority.

I hope you Agree ;biggrin
  • ^^^^

This

(just getting practise in)
  • Perhaps instead of removing the buttons, we should be more attentive to posts that may be seen as 'personal'?

Mods try hard to keep on top of it, but it's not always possible to imagine how others might feel.

We do have the flag button, but it is seldom used.
  • IronHerb said:

Mrs G,

I guess people use the buttons in different ways, or that is what is being implied. I personally use them at face value.

Me too ;ok
    IronHerb said:

If there is considered to be campaigns against individuals, which is obviously wrong, then that is when the mods should come into play isn't it?

Yes - but contrary to what has been said (jokingly, I hope) they really are anonymous and there's absolutely no way of know who has clicked what buttons.

(Apart from rav being cheered up when Spurs do well ;wink )

• ;wahoo

#rumbled
  • I'd like the buttons to stay, I like to think it gives an honest appraisal as to what the majority think of the comment. Can't believe it is taking all this discussion.
  • Moojor,

Respectfully disagree, often, users post many observations/comments in the same post that I may agree with some but not most... those I don't hit the agree button, if I agree with most of them I will hit the agree. But it's still anonymous, most of us are adults and personally it doesn't bother me too much if people disagree with a post I make, as everyone is allowed to voice their opinion, that's why adding a disagree button would imo be good.

I'm not pointing any fingers, but, there are times where this site appears cliquish and can make some users uncomfortable posting comments if it goes against the clique stance.

Is it possible to make it more like Facebook where you can see who agreed with a post?
  • How will i know how funny i am without CMU? I need reassurance or my confidence will go Zaza!
  • McHammer, face it. You just ain't funny. ;lol
  • Poll it

set a deadline

no recounts

decision made
  • Think Madcap may be onto something.

Maybe do a poll with a simple 'Keep buttons' and 'Remove buttons' option and run it for the weekend. Majority rules.

My two'penneth worth, I think they do add value and with Herbie on this one ;ok
  • I'm looking at a different system which adds the details of who reacted, which I think would be a better system.
  • KHA,

From a personal stand point I want to know why people disagree with me. To be honest, we learn nothing when people agree with our opinions. It is really only when people disagree and put their side of a view point across do we actually have the chance to become more informed about something and possibly change our own opinion.

If you have a disagree button then there is option for no interaction, there is no chance for someone to perhaps learn a different view from their own.