;wahoo
  • Great news Suzanne ;wahoo
  • ;wahoo watch him score the winner against city
  • Good - can we have the three points too ;hmm
  • All ye doubters. I was never worried!

;whistle

;yercoat
  • MrsGrey

I agree about the trial by media comment, but this is exactly why I think the referee should give a statement / interview after the game about the decisions made. Mike Dean doesn't get to come out and say anything, but Keith Hackett, Howard Webb, Gary Lineker, Gary Neville, and whoever else you want to add to the list all get to slate him with no come back? Surely that's exactly the reason for a referee to be able to state why?

If he came out and said "at the time it looked to me as though Feghouli had gone in with his studs up and caught Jones late, having seen the replay I can see that this was not the case and, with the benefit of hindsight, I would not make the same decision again", who would actually be mad about it? And, those people who would be mad about it are already mad anyway!
  • Are we top of the rescinded decisions league?
  • I agree Alderz, if managers are forced to come out and give an interview and asked about incidents which if they speak openly about thenrisk being fined the least an equally central character in the referee can do is the same. As you mention if they are hands up and admit a mistake made in real time without the replays that the pundits have no one will hold it against them.

Part of the anger inducing feel of this is Mike Dean's look of arrogance about the whole thing, which he may not possess, but unless we hear his side then we are left with the opinion he gave us during his mishandling of the incident when it happened.
  • So after all that we should remember the guy wasn't good enough to get into the ACON squad...

But still another body helps.
  • Its not about not being good enough imo vorse, he just hasnt had game time
  • edited January 2017
    alderz, I do take your point, in the situation you describe. If it was just a short written or verbal statement. And left at that. And only for these overturned decisions.

Having said that, wouldn't the statement always be along the lines you have described? So, really, what would be the point? Especially if it was just a statement, not an interview. Or are we just wanting them to publicly admit their mistake? For me, that's unnecessary.

If it was done in an interview/press conference type event, I think it would be a disaster: the journalists would hound the referee and keep asking the same question, would almost certainly ask questions that go beyond their remit as referee to answer or comment on (for example, questions about the whole regulatory process). Even worse if the interview was allowed to rehash ALL their decisions - they'd be there all day arguing and going back and forth. For what benefit?

At the very most, I'd say an explanation might be offered to the two clubs involved, privately. Maybe. ;hmm

Finally, on a matter of principle, I don't think it right that when an employee makes a mistake in the course of their job they are required to go in front of the public and account for it. I think that is a dangerous path to go down, in terms of the scrutiny employees are expected to undergo. ;hmm
  • Alderz ;ok I hope so, out Summer business has been a bust so far.
  • At the very most, I'd say an explanation might be offered to the two clubs involved, privately. Maybe.

Mrs Grey - how long before the private statement is in the public domain? Almost instantly - so we would, as you state, be left with a nondescript anodyne statement which would not satisfy anyone!
  • I don't know why a public statement from the PGMOL concerning the controversial incident and an explanation on behalf of the official couldn't be issued? Either directly from the official or on his behalf.
  • How about issuing the refs with bodycams on their heads so TV viewers can experience "the ref view"? I mic would be great, too.
  • And what if he says 'I was right'. Still gonna get villified.
  • Mike Dean for China now. sign him up
  • McHammer said:

Are we top of the rescinded decisions league?

We must be close. That's four I can think of in the last in the last 4 years or so -

Cole v Everton (Gibsons rescinded as well)
    Noble v Liverpool
    Kouyate v Palace
    Feghouli v Man Utd

Not to mention the retro action for Aguero v Man City.
  • edited January 2017
    upos, ;ok

tbh, while I do get how ;angry it makes us fans when we see a ref making (in our opinion - which isn't always right) a mistake, I don't think making the refs explain themselves after the event is really beneficial.

The anodyne factual statement will, as you say, not really enlighten anyone. We can all imagine what it will say - it's obvious. Nor will it satisfy those who think the refs are biased or cheating.

A referee explanation after the event won't turn the clock back, so it is of no practical use.

I juts can't see what the advantages would be, when measured against the very significant (imo) disadvantages.

Now, using technology ... that's a different matter. If a ref instead of announcing afterwards it looked to me as though Feghouli had gone in with his studs up and caught Jones late, having seen the replay I can see that this was not the case and, with the benefit of hindsight, I would not make the same decision again he could say to a monitoring referee: 'it looks to me as though Feghouli has gone in with his studs up and caught Jones late, can you have a look at the replay and tell me if this is indeed the case, so I can make a more informed and hopefully better decision' I'd be all for it.

(which by the way would deliver some of what people are asking for, in that it would provide an insight into the refs thinking, without having to subject him to the Spanish Inquisition. And at the same time, and much more important, for me, actually lead to better decision-making during the game. Which after all is what we all want, isn't it?)
  • When a 'misplaced' red is overturned, after the game, the team should be awarded the points that were relevant at the time of the card. In that case we would be given 1 point as we we were level at the time
  • McHammer said:

Are we top of the rescinded decisions league?

4 out of the last five straight red cards have been rescinded.

Plus Cresswell couldn't appeal his two yellows, one of which (if not both) was wrong
  • Slizzy, that's because you can't appeal a two yellow red card ;ok
  • MrsGrey, you mean, just like they do in Rugby, at least in the internationals.
    Football is the world's richest sport yet we're relying on poor man's technology ie. solely the human view/opinion.
  • edited January 2017
    Alderz, ;thumbsup I wouldnt mind the trialling of some kind of head/body camera on the referees, so at least when people are analysing we could get a real time POV which would give significant perspective because then at least, on a large scale, people can get into the mindset of the processes the referee has taken, which would then place greater emphasis on the two most important elements at the heart of the debate-players conduct/gamesmanship and the interpretation of the foul/incident.
  • edited January 2017
    Continuing the comparison with Rugby, before a yellow or red card is issued, it is reviewed by the video referee who then advises the on-field ref. In this case, the card is accepted as deserved and the offending player leaves the field and his team justifiably suffers his loss.
    Rescinding a wrongly awarded red card in football is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, because the team has already unjustifiably suffered the consequences of the player's dismissal.
    All the more reason to have the decision reviewed before a red card (and probably a 2nd. yellow) is issued.
  • FIFA are already trialing video technology. Infantino looks keen to get it brought in.
This discussion has been closed.