Welcome Simone Zaza - official

Comments

• IMO he's worth persevering with because there are signs he is adaptating and learning, although he still has work to do; for example, early on yesterday cresswell was put through and shot which hit the side netting- he chose to shoot because Zaza was lingering at the back post and not going near post into the space. Similarly the goal Lanzini scored is the type of chance Zaza should be in far more often but he has a bad habit of lingering and waiting for the ball, rather than attacking the 6 yard area which would almost guarantee him goals with the amount of chances WHUFC normally create.

I believe he will look more dangerous playing off a striker such as AC or Sakho because it would allow him to get his head up early, have the play in front of him and he can decide earlier what he wants to do because often he has trouble with his back to goal which is an important aspect when leading the line by yourself. When you have your back to goal you cant see everything, time and space are diminished and your decisions making has to effectual otherwise play breaks down and the team is disjointed, etc, etc. We know defensively he is good and he is willing to put in the hard work, so you can trust him in a lightly deeper position, especially in the system we used yesterday. IMO he'll score vs Sunderland.
  • The facts are he didn't play much for Juventus last season, ok he possibly had better players ahead of him but when he did play he didn't score many, 5 in 19, with the service he would have got it should have been higher. Slav may rate him but he also pushed hard for Tore and we all now know how that has turned out. Just sometimes owners have to save their managers from making a VERY expensive mistake.
  • His general running was good yesterday, which I think helped us keep the attacking pressure up but he was really bad at making attacking runs, it was like he didn't want to get in those positions where the pressure of a chance would come. There were so many times where he held his position instead of attacking space.

• I believe he will look more dangerous playing off a striker such as AC or Sakho

But how likely are we to play 2 up front? I just don't see it happening as a starting formation, and I can't see G&S paying €20m for a CF who struggles as a lone striker.
  • I'd much rather have Ayew as playing the deeper role. Someone whom we've already paid £20m for. Or lanzini for that matter.
  • For £25m we can get someone a lot better. Let's wake up people. He hasn't scored in ten and honestly hasn't made a keeper make a save yet. He's had a couple of two yard out shots that have missed, and he only likes to shoot on his left foot.

Just because the guy tries hard let's not waste another 5 years on a poor striker. Carlton probably had a better strike rate. Let's get real.
  • I really hope he gets his first goal next week. Will do his confidence a world of good. Who knows, he gets one, he could go on a run.
  • It was an improvement, no doubt.

Stick me on the pitch and I'll run around and try and get tackles in.

Needs to score. Has 0 confidence at the moment.
  • Austin £4m, gets goals
    How much was Deeney?
    We paid £7m for Ba
    Pelle was sold to China for not a lot if I remember
    Wilson scores for Bournemouth. How much was he?
    Sam Vokes for Burnley has more goals.

Not sure why we are deliberating this.

I wish I was wrong but let's not waste another 18 months on another Maiga. His stats prior to joining were poor.

• The worst thing that could happen is he scores a goal like Maiga did that one time and everyone thinks he's amazing.
  • And nothing comes for the rest of the season. Valencia was another one that we stuck with for too long and in a way so is Carroll.

Move on and get a couple of strong strikers. It seems as if other clubs all have someone.
  • edited October 2016
    I always believe in giving a player time,especially a foreign one but I've been completely underwhelmed so far. My biggest issue is that he is completely one footed & I've seen him stop to put the ball on to his left foot more than once & lose an opportunity. To be that one footed as far as I'm concerned is a disgrace,unless you're say a Maradona or even a Liam Brady.I was underwhelmed when we signed him( as indeed I was by most of our pre-season business) & I would rather let him go & maybe try to get a better option in January. If he proves me wrong I'll be delighted but at present I can't see it happening.
  • Luke was asking for Walcott for £20m.
  • Looks a steal now
  • Does anybody know how much longer it will be before Carroll is back.
  • Zaza doesn't score and he's a striker

Nor does he assist

Nor does he get shots off on goals, that was his best game yesterday mad he had like one shot all game.....

No chance we should get him permanently

Carroll, Ayew and hopefully Sakho should be back soon

• I believe he will look more dangerous playing off a striker such as AC or Sakho

But how likely are we to play 2 up front? I just don't see it happening as a starting formation, and I can't see G&S paying €20m for a CF who struggles as a lone striker.
    Not as an out and out 2 because thats more difficult to do with the players we have, but there are ways to incorporate him close to an out and out CF which could create more opportunities for him which may be more conducive for him. For example, If we go from Saturdays game (Ignore personnel debate): then you could fit him in between the lines in a freeish role like Payet (not rigid/static)- with Players close to him, a CF occupying the opposition CB's, runners, blah blah blah.

-----------------------ADRIAN---------------
    --------------REID---KOUYATE--OGGY---------
    -ANTONIO-----NOBLE----OBIANG-----CRESSWELL-
    --------------PAYET--------ZAZA-------------
    ----------------------SAKHO-----------------

• Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Lanzini, Ayew and probably Feghouli would all be ahead of Zaza for that position, as genuine defensive work would still be expected from the 2 players in behind the CF, and I can't see G&S allowing the purchase clause to be triggered for a bloke to be 4th choice in a position that he's not even particularly suited to.
  • How long did it take Tevez to score his first goal? Zaza needstime and a goal to build up his confidence. Once he has that he will be alright.
  • He is learning eg to stop trying to hold the ball up. If he keeps putting Lanzini through to goal with flick headers, lettuce could end up with 10+ goals this season. This nonsense about 20+ goalscorer is unreal: where did the myth start? 10 is fine for us, because our goals should come from all over.
    Having said all that, I'd be amazed if Zaza scores more than 5 this year....
  • Sakho won't play another game for West Ham according to some ITK. Apparently he is still on strike and training by himself with no coach doing his own training so he can be fit enough to be offloaded in Jan. West Brom still interested in him.
  • I don't know when this was but Lanzini posted it last night...

It's good to see him fitting in on a social basis.

IMG_5050
  • I still reckon Zaza can do it for us.
    Call it blind faith, but I'm not giving up on him just yet.
  • Problem is it hasn't worked for 10 games and in under 10 games time we trigger a 20m+ clause. For someone of that money they need to hit the ground running. We cannot afford another over expensive striker mistake we have done that too many times.

He works hard but isn't a striker that will propel us to the upper part of the table its that simple. If we want to progress we need to find a striker who can and can do it from the off. Ambition needs to match reality in terms of squad and if the Daves ambition is to get us to Europe, the reality is Zaza isn't the person who will get us there.
  • edited October 2016
    Yeold

Ambition needs to match reality in terms of who we can attract.

The club tried to go big with strikers during the last window, and got knocked back.

Who can we realistically get who is better than Zaza?

As someone pointed out earlier, Tevez didn't score until his 20th appearance for us.

I don't think it is reasonable to judge a new player on his appearances in a misfiring, makeshift team.

Yesterday was the first time since Watford we have looked any good, imo and I think that helped him to be more effective.

We didn't have an all-guns-blazing striker last season, and we finished 7th, and that is where I would say our ambition should be to finish for the next couple of years.
  • if you said

Your only options are Zaza for 20m or Shane Long for 20m, I'd take Shane Long all day.

We threw 15m at Valencia, runs a lot didn't do much
    We threw 15m at Carroll, barely plays

I think throwing 20m at Zaza to do the same Valencia would be stupid. We also don't have the luxury of waiting 20 games to see if he somehow comes good, we have less than 10 games to make a decision.
  • How long did it take Tevez to score his first goal? Zaza needstime and a goal to build up his confidence. Once he has that he will be alright.

Problem is he doesn't have time. After a certain number of games we have to pay like 25m
  • Players who have been mentioned in this thread aren't 20 goal strikers, though. I see the point people are making, but saying Zaza isn't the guy to propel us to the next level and then throwing out names like Shane Long isn't really convincing me that there are many other options out there.

Shane Long: 206 PL Appearances, 43 goals (1 in 4.8 games)
    Carlton Cole (WH Only): 207 PL appearance, 47 goals (1 in 4.4 games)

The only one that I feel we missed out on was Charlie Austin, but there's not much we can do about that now.
  • So, in Slav we trust, but not in this particular instance?
  • edited October 2016
    He didn't actually start until Watford, 3 games in.

He is lacking a goal. His movement outside the area is good, but he doesn't have the belief he'll score, so he doesn't make goal-scoring runs in the box. Almost like he knows he'll miss so doesn't want to embarrass himself.

He also looks slightly slow in terms of football intelligence. So many times Lanzini and Payet skipped little balls to him but he wasn't awake.