Liverpool v West Ham 13:30 12th August 2018 Match Thread

Comments

• Anyone understand why Arthur let Salah run off him?

Same reason Noble let Mane, I think, run off him.
  • edited August 2018
    I see that Milner is tapping into his inner John McEnroe
  • just same as last season lol.
  • Arnie has had a couple of decent half chances, we are not out of this
  • Ref's having a decent game but the crowd are all over him.

How long before he cracks, I wonder ;hmm
  • just same as last season lol.

It’s game one mate lol
  • Even the ref felt sorry for us and decided to tackle a Liverpool player
  • Anyone understand why Arthur let Salah run off him?

Perhaps because there’s a huge gulf in difference in class and ability.
  • Let’s remember this is the Liverpool that got to the champions league final last season and have spent silly money improving their team.

The likelihood was always that (especially away from home) they would run rings around us.

Buying the 10 new players that we did, isn’t going to change that.

We’ve just got to try to stay in this game.
  • Where is this playing out from the back stuff.. same as watching Moyes...

New manager new players exactly the same performance...
  • Where on earth was our defence there?
  • Yeah not looking great though is it tbf
  • How many offside players do it take for sky to ignore scoring a goal
  • So easy for them
  • It seems odd to me that a player standing right in the middle of the goal, within the six yard box is considered as not interfering with play
  • Same of bias for top clubs
  • Really frustrating to concede like that having kept ourselves in the game up to then.

Not going to start digging anyone out.

We've new players in a new system, and you probably couldn't pick a harder team to play against when you are trying to bed things in.

Not all our passes are coming off, and we are losing possession at times, but I'd far rather see us try this, and not be afraid of having the ball, than take an easy, negative pass.

Despite the scoreline, I don't think we've looked nearly as shaky with a back 4 as we have done previously.

Got Beglin on Liverpool love-in duties on NBC. To hear him, you'd think he feels West Ham players should be paying to watch Liverpool.
  • Let’s stay positive five changes time to gel together can’t judge over one game against a top four team at very least, even though we ain’t played well we’ve had couple of chances to score ourselves
  • Too slow in midfield. I'm sorry but Rice isn't the answer to our DM problem, he looks like a carthorse. Noble has zero pace. We can't get on the ball. It looks like Anderson is going to take a while to get up to speed, unlike Payet who was on it from the very first game. It's looking like 10-15th place for us this season, I really hope I'm wrong.
  • Concerned about our right hand side for both goals. Antonio and Fredericks seem to be too narrow when defending (or completely absent in Antonio's case for the second goal).
  • What offsides?
  • Really can't see why people think we haven't changed.

We are clearly trying to pass and move - but Liverpool never make that easy for anyone, not least because they are reluctant to let us have the ball.

I like what I've seen so far, and remain optimistic that when we aren't playing away to one of the major title challengers, we will be able to make ore of a game of it.
  • Trying to be positive here; at least we have this game to bed the players in. We've been given another terrible fixture first up so we may as well take the hit, hope the players use the game to settle down and then the season starts against Bournemouth.
  • On sky they drew the offside line through the ball. I undestood the offside line is through the last defender. The second goal was close to being three yards off side. I don’’t understand
  • Anderson made no effort at all to follow back the Liverpool player for that second goal, actually just stood watching him close in on our goal. Defensively we look like we have just begun playing the game and waiting to work out how it all works.
  • Seriously, if people are judging our prospects for the season on 45 minutes away to Liverpool, there is, imo, a severe perspective shortage.
  • edited August 2018

On sky they drew the offside line through the ball. I undestood the offside line is through the last defender. The second goal was close to being three yards off side. I don’’t understand

But he was behind the ball so not offside, you can't be offside if you're behind the ball.
  • edited August 2018

Seriously, if people are judging our prospects for the season on 45 minutes away to Liverpool, there is, imo, a severe perspective shortage.

modern day football for you ;thumbsup
  • Liverpool could have 5 players-30 yards offside and the commentator would say 'maybe a hint of offisde in that move'.
This discussion has been closed.