Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• Mrs Grey it was me who said it. Although I read it Friday night:

Preston, cheers ;ok

So nothing about him being injured, just a concern about lack of pre-season and regular training, so when would he be match fit.

thorn take note! ;wink
  • Not a good day so far. Sakho is still here and Carvalho is not coming. To top it all U23s have lost 7-2 to Tottenham. What next? Are we going to sign Carlton Cole, Benni McCarthy and Bobby Zamora. I gather they are available for a modest price.
  • You could argue we're already in the relegation mire.

Nobody is in the relegation mire after 3 games.
  • As far as wingers go, I wanted to keep Feghouli but potentially ship Snodgrass. However after Feg went, we were told 1-in-1-out. So after Snodgrass was allowed to leave, we really should bring in another. We should only have agreed to release him if we were sure we could bring in a replacement - else keep him as we are now very light in wingers. Different situation to Sakho as Diafra has is playing silly britches on deadline day and only has 1 year of contract left so I'm angrily accepting letting him go even if we can't grab a replacement (though of course we should try).

Sticking with Snodgrass, as others have stated, very disappointed in his comments to the press. He still has 3 years left on his contract as a West Ham player. Yes he did his best work with Hull on the right, and yes he played a couple of games on the left for us due to player availability, but he was given ample games on the right to show his abilities in claret and blue and he did very little.
  • players like Sakho ... making so much noise about not wanting to be at the club.

Not really. Or have you got a ink that quotes him saying this?
  • Mrs Grey

We are West Ham , probably the only club that could possibly get itself in the relegation mire after 3 games!!
  • MrsGrey said:

re 'paying the money' for Carvalho.

His club asked £35.

West Ham offered £35m.

How is that being 'cheap'?

Sporting Lisbon subsequently upped the price. Whether or not WH was right or wrong to refuse to be messed around is a matter for debate.

But don't ignore the fact that they went straight in with an offer to match the asking price.

#revisionisthistory

The issue for me is that for the extra £5m that, rightly or wrongly, Sporting were asking for, we could have secured our No1 midfield target. A player that the manager said he wanted and a player that would have undoubtedly improved our first eleven.

So either we didn't have the extra £5m, which, with the new TV money and the sales we've made this summer, I somewhat doubt, or we simply didn't want to pay it, which seems a bit short-sighted considering £5m is peanuts in the modern game.

I get there's a principal involved, but I think we've dropped the ball big time on this one.
  • Mrs Grey

He has actually met the club with his advisers to state how he wants to go .
    He has had a medical off his own back with the club he wants to go to???

Why do I need ink ? What more does he need to do ?
  • Mrs G, I agree that Sporting seemed to move the goalposts as far as Carvalho's price is concerned which is most annoying. However seeing as it now seems he is not injured as the rumours suggested, and Sullivan is rumoured to be out of the country (Spain??), and we may potentially get cash for Sakho in the next couple of hours, I would pay the extra and bring in Carvalho. Yes it means paying a bit more than we would ideally, and we would be rewarding Sporting for mucking us about, but IMO it is of greater concern now to bring in quality extra bodies. Also as an out and out DCM, who I have seen and greatly admire, he would plug a big issue for us and allow us to (hopefully) strongly push on.

Please let this happen!!
  • edited August 2017
    MrsGrey said:

You could argue we're already in the relegation mire.

Nobody is in the relegation mire after 3 games.
    If I had any confidence we can turn our former around, I'd agree with you. But I genuinely think as a club we're a bit broken
  • I really don't understand the reason why we have moved to the os
  • Have to agree OCS

Now there are more stories coming out about Sakho being told nobody was available to talk to him as either out the country or away on business

More than a little bit disappointed that we didn't get anyone in and we now appear to have a very unhappy player on our hands

Someone has run a poll on twitter with over 2,000 replies saying SuGu should get out and they are now reminding Goldie about his tweet where he said if 87% wanted them gone he'd walk away

It's currently at 87%

• I don't believe it's been about money. It's probably smoke and mirrors from Carvalho. His club might agree a fee but he has no interest in us.
    If there was any chance of Carvalho joining it would have been done before his game tonight.
    As I said before why would Carvalho want to come here at the moment?
  • ;hmm so looks like Sakho will still be with us .guess we showed him .turned down 9 mil .he will go in the summer for nothing . and spend the time he has left with us in a sulk BUT WE SHOWED HIM ;biggrin
  • Put Sakho in the bin and play Martinez
  • I do feel sympathy to Gold and Sullivan as they steadied the ship but they just don't not have the funds or the ambition to take us further and the negativity is at a point where nothing it's hard to get everyone onside

They acknowledged that thy messed up last summer and they did well to pull off the 4 moves they did but you can't rest on your laurels

As far as we are concerned the club have spent £10mil net which could be 0 if sakho left (leaves?) And have broken even with wages

We need extra and the club haven't done enough to fill the holes and that stems down I BOTH the board and Slaven

They should sell up
  • edited August 2017
    Three games.

Have we had a bad start and could do with a couple of back to back wins soon? Yes.
    Are we suddenly destined for the drop? No.

Many more games to go, still yet to see our best 11 (of our current squad, may still yet bring in another) out there. Once Reid returns at the back, Arnautavic is back from his (stupid) ban, Lanzini and Antonio are back up to full speed, so the three of them are behind Hernandez, results will come.
  • Mrs Grey

He has actually met the club with his advisers to state how he wants to go .
    He has had a medical off his own back with the club he wants to go to???

Why do I need ink ? What more does he need to do ?

ink. ;doh ;lol
  • ocs/florin - fair enough. It's debatable whether or not WH should pay the inflated price. Views will differ depending on whether or not you thnk the player is worth it.

... my concern was with people who misrepresent what has happened in order to bolster a prejudice that has no foundation in fact. ;ok
  • at lest we keep Lanzini ;wahoo ;wahoo ;wahoo
  • Mrs Grey

You put ink instead of link!! I thought it was funny.
  • Florin if Sully is in Spain then I'd hazard a guess he's not there for Carvalho or if he is his geography is woeful.

• Now there are more stories coming out about Sakho being told nobody was available to talk to him as either out the country or away on business

What, they should have a chairman or director always on hand to attend a meeting immediately whenever an employee wants to talk to them in person?

imo, no.

(Edit: More stories coming out that he did talk to somebody. And further talks will continue by phone. )
  • edited August 2017

Florin if Sully is in Spain then I'd hazard a guess he's not there for Carvalho or if he is his geography is woeful.

The chairman doesn't have to be in the country of the player he is signing. That would be unnecessary and, if looking to sign more than one, impossible.

Surely you realise that?

• Joel Campbell off to real betis on loan. He wouldve done too as cover for Sakho.
  • Mrs Grey

You put ink instead of link!! I thought it was funny.

I know. Just noticed.

;yercoat
  • Thornbury - ;lol

I have no evidence for Sullivan being in Spain, only the rumour that he is not in this country. I put Spain in hope for this deal, forgetting that Sporting is in Potugal in my excitement! My bad!
  • edited August 2017

Now there are more stories coming out about Sakho being told nobody was available to talk to him as either out the country or away on business

Does it make me a bad person to hope that when his advisors demanded a meeting they were told 'sorry, mate - you've just missed 'em, they've gone to the races'? ;biggrin
  • BREAKING: Hammers' fans' spirits everywhere.
  • they have culled the squad and it looks paper thin this season is going to a car crash