Is it time for the agree and CMU buttons to go?

Comments

• ;ok

Problem is lgh got on well with a group of users whose behaviour on this site was nothing short of disgraceful, and I think he left as a show of support to them.
  • My 2p worth....

If I post something (and I try to make an effort most of the time in terms of composition at least) and people question it or pick it apart then I have to say it doesnt bother me.

Typed words can often be taken out of context and perceived as negative ( or more toward negative ) than the respondent intends.

This may sound a bit harsh, but I personally have a thick skin (self-confidence, or overly confident lol and belief in what I've typed to back it up and stand by it allied to the ability to bend if someone makes a valid point as to why I could be wrong or misinformed ) and perhaps some of us need to just step back from our original interpretations of negative responses and apply that written words and context thing to it. It's most likely not written to upset you or knock you (to any real extent, just to question or seek clarity)...

I avoid the USA politics thread purely because I think Politics is highly likely to cause issues (and I live in USA so will see what Trumps presidency entails) much like religion. A case of if you dont want to be offended or challenged in a stereotypical volatile area, dont go there.

I'm for the keeping of 'agree' and 'CMU' buttons (and also for the ability to see who agreed etc.). I try to make an effort to say funny things but I am the first to acknowledge I have a strange sense of humor. But its nice to see some CMUs by a posting I've added. I think the agree button does help with not repeating the same views and it also gives a potential gauge of what people basically agree with.

If someone agrees with a post knocking someone then I am sure seeing the persons handle will get things sorted out quickly enough (mods or not). At the end of the day, if you're using buttons to attempt to upset someone, you need to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why you cant just count to 10 or ignore the post.

The short version.... The written word is easily misinterpreted in terms of intent and severity. ;hmm
  • Baz

You are our fantasy football hero.
  • Can we 'transfer' that comment (just the 'hero' word) to every thread so I can massage my ego for a while?

Suz, I genuinely love your contributions and humor here as I am sure many others do ;thumbsup
  • ;ok

Problem is lgh got on well with a group of users whose behaviour on this site was nothing short of disgraceful, and I think he left as a show of support to them.

Luke,

That's not the case at all and it is misleading of you to say that. LGH left not as a show of support to those who you describe as disgraceful, but simply because he had had enough of whu606. The site is the poorer for the absence of LGH and those you describe as disgraceful, but as you see them, your fellow fans as a disgrace then from what you say of them the site must have improved for you.
  • bazWHUusa said:

Can we 'transfer' that comment (just the 'hero' word) to every thread so I can massage my ego for a while?

Suz, I genuinely love your contributions and humor here as I am sure many others do ;thumbsup

You mean bazfer the comment, surely?
  • edited January 2017
    Claret and blue.

Well I am aware of some of the actions some of those 'older' users displayed and for people of their ages, particularly one, it was quite simply an embarrassment. Like a schoolyard.

I know of a user who has contacted another user asking them to continue to disagree with me. Luckily, as me and the user he asked are mates and get on, he let me know what was said.

As I said. Embarrassing.

But each to their own, if that's what gave their life meaning.
  • Anyone else starting to think this site is actually Luke's psychology PhD ;hmm

I'd like an acknowledgement in your dissertation Lukerz ;thumbsup
  • ;bowdown
  • bazWHUusa said:

Can we 'transfer' that comment (just the 'hero' word) to every thread so I can massage my ego for a while?

You mean bazfer the comment, surely?
    I apologize for that embarrassing error ;yercoat
  • edited January 2017

Claret and blue.

Well I am aware of some of the actions some of those 'older' users displayed and for people of their ages, particularly one, it was quite simply an embarrassment. Like a schoolyard.

I know of a user who has contacted another user asking them to continue to disagree with me. Luckily, as me and the user he asked are mates and get on, he let me know what was said.

As I said. Embarrassing.

But each to their own, if that's what gave their life meaning.

You actually said disgraceful now you say embarrassing...make your mind up mate.
    As you say each to their own and all that eh?

I think you'll actually find that the atmosphere on here will change with improving results on the pitch. A similar situation to a couple of seasons ago on this site. The removal of agree/CMU buttons will make no difference and I think the addition of identifying who's liked/agreed will make things worse, Grey no doubt seeing it as an improvement won't and won't listen to any who disagree, situation normal on whu606.
    The important thing is you've had your say.
  • edited January 2017
    C&B ;ok

grey - I am happy for the CMU/agree buttons to stay as I like them (and get a lot ;wink ), but for me they have drawbacks in certain situations and when they happen it becomes impossible to mod or know for sure whether what you suspect is happening actually happens.

Just thought worth bringing it up. Happy for them to stay especially if the majority feel they add value.
  • edited January 2017
    I've never picked anyone's posting apart before but this one deserves it....

You actually said disgraceful now you say embarrassing...make your mind up mate.

Seems like picking holes to dig Lukerz out. Perhaps inflammatory?

As you say each to their own and all that eh?

I think you'll actually find that the atmosphere on here will change with improving results on the pitch. A similar situation to a couple of seasons ago on this site.

Considering you've only been a member here since July 2016 I'm surprised you know what it was like two seasons ago. I guess its easy to gain anonymoity behind a new handle?

The removal of agree/CMU buttons will make no difference and I think the addition of identifying who's liked/agreed will make things worse, Grey no doubt seeing it as an improvement won't and won't listen to any who disagree, situation normal on whu606.

Again, you seem to know plenty more for a member of six months. Your comments re. Grey IMO are totally offensive and I'll wager the vast majority here think he does a great job (thankless in the main I'd say). I'm surprised the posting is still here. If I ran the site the post would've been cut and you'd be kicked out. If you have such a negative view of the guy who put the site together, why hang around?

Coming on here incognito and having your digs made me wonder why the hell you come here. Doesn't seem to be for any positive reason
  • Good effort Baz ;ok

Re Grey, I don't always agree with him but that's kind of the point of a forum. For me this is the best West Ham forum out there and without Grey it wouldn't exist, so for that I'm grateful.
  • edited January 2017
    I agree. Keep the button. CMU. Essential to encourage users to lighten the mood (which gets a tad fraught at times.) Disagree. I disagree, that can easily lead to cyber bullying. ID agrees. Not sure , it may lead to gang mentality, but it also tells you who thinks the same way.
    We all have lives, the last time I looked. Ours is richer and vastly more fulfilling than a Man U fan, because we use this site and support West Ham.
    PS is there a "I agree with some of that" button available?
  • Yes it`s this ;fence
  • edited January 2017
    I have a couple of comments re the C+B postings.

1. LGH is still a site member. If he wants to explain why he doesn't use the site any more, that's up to him. Anyone else purporting to represent his views, I take with a pinch of salt.

2. I think the addition of identifying who's liked/agreed will make things worse, Could you explain what, and also identify what you mean by 'worse'? Personally, I find it impossible to think of a valid reason why someone would feel unhappy with anyone knowing which posts they agreed with or disagreed with.

---

Finally, some of what C+B say breaks site rules (personal comments directed at other users). These will be removed from the post. As a result, a few bits need to go from other responses because the original comment isn't there any more.

I'm not going to do a separate PM notifications, but if anyone has any queries, do PM me. ;ok

(Sits back and waits to be called a mini-dictator ;wink ).
  • edited January 2017

. The site is the poorer for the absence of ... those you describe as disgraceful, .

A question for you.

Luke mentioned no names. Yet you seem quite sure you know who he is referring to.

And you only joined in the summer of last year. So how can you know their absence (whoever they are ;hmm ) has made the site a poorer place?

Are you a sockpuppet?
  • edited January 2017
    Just to clarify re: lgh

The only thing I know is that he said directly to me he would be too busy to continue using the site.

I've seen other things, but have no way of knowing for sure if they are true.

Like any user, he is free to use the site or not.
  • edited January 2017

;ok

I didn't know that. I wondered why he vanished. Shame as his humour always made me laugh.
    Also, whatever happened to Tex?
  • edited January 2017
    Giant, my understanding is that a group of people who are friends in 'real life', have formed another site. I don't know if it is branded as a west Ham site. Membership is by invitation only.

• Oh dear, that'll teach me to post before I read right through the thread. ;doh
  • edited January 2017
    ;puzzled You might be responding to my unedited post?
  • It's ok Mrs Grey but I'm an idiot so I'll take any excuse out there. ;biggrin
  • The pub thread was never one i got into. Some humour just seemed silly (rather than my intellectual brand - woof woof sausage time) but each to their own. Guess im not here to make friends as its unlikely il ever meet anyone but i still appreciate some peoples views and comments consistently more than others. Thus a forum is complete.
  • Sending someone into a chat forum you have been banned from undercover to post your nasty little missives shows a quite frankly worrying psychopathy.
  • edited January 2017
  • Sending someone into a chat forum you have been banned from undercover to post your nasty little missives shows a quite frankly worrying psychopathy.

I'd know all about it ;biggrin