How can we measure 'progress' for West Ham?

2»

Comments

• lol

Because I work with a bunch of nerds, that graph got circulated around our work WhatsApp group a week or two ago
  • alderz said:

lol

Because I work with a bunch of nerds, that graph got circulated around our work WhatsApp group a week or two ago

*WhatsApp's work nerds 'you wouldn't believe the graph related bants we had on the forum today, done you all proud'.
  • OCS every graph/curve is based on a mathematical equation/formula/statistics/readings. (I think I've covered my bases there.)
    What's the one for the duckie? ;biggrin
  • I think the more points argument as a measurement is not realistic TBH. The number of points you get will depend on the strength of all the other teams, so if there is a season where more teams are strong, the chances are you will get less points (more equally shared around through draws and win/loss ratios being closer). So we could get the same number of points as this year and finish either higher or lower or alternatively, depending on the strength of the other teams/league as a whole, get more and finish lower or less and finish higher.

Also depends on what you want to measure as a progress target. For instance would a target to have reduced injuries both off and on field through improved training methods and team management (player rotation) etc. be valid? - I would say yes because an objective that would feed into would be fielding a more settled team, which would also give a higher consistency of play (another target). Squad rotation could take two or three forms - like for like players (resting where necessary) to maintain the stability of the team/system/strategy, Cup strategy, change in tactics/strategy depending on opponents etc.

This may or may not get you better results depending on the strength of the other teams, but it may give you a higher league position, in which case that should be the target over points, and also you would look at the teams you are battling places with (top eight?).

Personally I think we should not be over ambitious in our expectations (although they did sort of get run away with last season as we did better for log periods than we expected). So progress next season would be 1. Improvement of the squad during the transfer period, 2. Reduction in injuries/length of time out injured, 3. Better consistency in fielding of a settled team, 4. Improve maintaining position in the league (hard one I know as it depends on other teams a lot and officials decisions), so if we get to 4th/5th again we do the job as a team/club to stay there.

A good cup run or winning a trophy should be regarded as a bonus at this stage, not saying it should not be a target, but as has been said before, too many variables including if we run into issues ourselves (injuries etc.).
  • Lukerz and Jorderz agreeing on something would represent progress...

I agree with this ;lol

Unless Lukerz does, in which case, I categorically disagree.

;hug
  • I disagree
  • Another factor for next season is how many other club's will be looking forward to playing in the Olympic Stadium and raising their game, making it more difficult for us to improve our home record. That could easily be a factor for a few seasons ...

I hope not, but should that make us adjust our expectations?
  • Next season will be very tough for us

Firstly as it is a season where expectations of Bilic will be far greater than this season

Secondly we will be playing in unfamiliar surroundings - a bit like playing away from home every time

So anywhere near what we did this season would be progress of sorts

Having said that, we really should have nailed a CL spot this season - a once in a lifetime chance to dine at the top table missed.
  • Job satisfaction, ;whistle
    Players that put a shift in ;bowdown
    All with in finance limits ;hmm
    Manager that allows entertaining football ;poormf
  • edited June 2016
    I agree with Grey in the original post. To establish ourselves in that second group (5-8th) will be progress in my eyes. Koeman's move from S'hampton could provide us with the opportunity (as long as he doesn't do too well at Everton).

Also +ve GD and entertaining football for which I don't mind losing 2-3 places in the league for.

Sorry, no graphs here!