West Ham give donation to Conservative Party

Comments

• While I don't think the club should have donated any money to any political party, I think people need to put it in perspective. The amount is £12,500 folks, not millions. Players like Payet earn £12,500 for playing 15-20 minutes of football, so, for people to come out saying we bribed our way into the new stadium with such a small donation is laughable.
  • Herb, it's not about who the money belongs to but they should've made the donations personally. Making it from the club sets out a position that the club supports the party and I'm sure many of the members, season ticket holders and general fans don't. At the end of the day, it is a club and relies on its community, it isn't an ordinary business, so they shouldn't just represent the club however they want.
  • Could it just be that the £12500 was the cost to the club of taking the corporate guests to the ball or a donation towards it.
    Labour holds similar events and I'd bet my life it wouldn't be free so I think the club would have done the same.
    I think people are totally over reacting here. My two remaining brothers would never vote Tory but sometimes go to the local party club events when drinks are cheap. They also go to the Legion but have never been in the forces.

• But KHA, that is exactly the point many are making. In the great scheme of things it is a miniscule amount so why do it?
    What does it mean for a private institution to donate to a political party? I know what it means if I personally donate, it is a measure of MY support for that cause but in the case of West Ham United as opposed to David Sullivan or Gold (or Brady).
    They want to support the tories then do it personally in their name not in that of a football club that has its roots in working class east London.
  • East,

I agree they should've made any donations personally and not through the club, but, the media are blowing this way out of proportion imo.
  • edited May 2016
    the media are blowing this way out of proportion
    ;nonono

Shurely shome mishtake? ;wink
  • Did they give Harry a brown envelope to deliver on their behalf?
  • Comments such as those from the Taxpayers Alliance in this article are exactly why this donation should have been avoided.

The Taxpayer's Alliance is a front for the more "libertarian" wing of the Conservative Party, low taxation, small government and Eurosceptic with connections to UKIP and the Tea Party in the States.

As the only person that could come out of this badly is Boris it makes you wonder what motivation there was behind drawing attention to this?

On the plus side Barry Hearn was quite complementary about us, which was nice....
  • ASLEF - absolutely spot on - it was a donation to pay for West Ham's owners to take some corporates to a Tory fundraiser.
    Not really much different to paying out £10k for a table at the players awards event recently - you were asked to make out your check to West Ham United FC. That was also a fundraiser.
    Really got to look at the motivation of those who chose to publish this - and tie it into the old "West Ham got their new stadium for nuffing and its all Boris's fault" brigade - the Telegraph , who are on a mission!
  • Maybe they've realised that paying Boris £250k per year for a twice weekly column wasn't such a good deal after all.......
  • A sum Bozzer famously described as 'peanuts' in an interview.
  • "Chicken feed" I believe
  • rubbish rubbish rubbish. no class no understanding no hope. I'm done with these owners and the chairperson. I actually thought they cared for the fans and the community but obv they don't. However I didnt believe a word they said before and I still don't, and now I never will, but such a pity that yet again they prove that they are so ridiculous, fawning servile cowards bowing down to a disgraceful and corrupt government. Maybe they really did pay what must be regarded as the least amount of money necessary to qualify for the ermine, the deal on the site, the planning permission etc, etc. And not least the communications stupidity, worthy of Boris's bro Trump. I'm out. I really am
  • Swiss. Calm down.
  • Tell us what you really think Swiss.
  • Swiss

You did see that it wasn't a direct donation, didn't you?
  • and I thought Swiss would understand.....
  • Exactly. It's on a par with a company paying for a corporate box to entertain clients none of whom may be hammers fans.
  • yes but West Ham is Moore than a private company right?

I hate the way the owners try to manipulate the fans through their shoddy PR and their ham fisted announcements and their tawdry comments. I love it when they're hoist on their own petards.

They deserve all the over-reaction and ridicule they get while they search for their 30m striker ;doh Meanwhile I cannot be the only one who wonders when we can stop a situation in which the club (sorry, someone's private company) is run thanks to a filthy-rich-club-tax dodge in which yield from artificially inflated interest on big loans is paid to millionaires. I wouldn't mind 7.5% on my deposit with a nice chummy board to endorse it. (yes I know this is true of other "top" clubs..)

Doesn't matter if the ticket was 12k or 12 mil, it's still a massively stupid donation to the political party who are sucking this country dry. As usual we are the
  • ...suckers because we contribute the money both directly and indirectly.
    ;weep
  • Have to be honest it didn't bother me too much, from a media standpoint and giving them the opportunity to have a pop at us, that annoys me but as Thorn has said it like buying a Corp box and the sum is pretty small in the grand scheme of things

It came well after the OS was decided but of course the papers will always take that angle
  • I had also seen the Southend donation which surprised me as they're normally skint ;biggrin
  • and have you seen Roots Hall ;whome
  • Did anyone else hear about Cameron waxing lyrical about Sadiq Khan just weeks after questioning him over links with extremists? ;lol

I'm not really keen on historical drama.

Thought that Downton Abbey was better

;yercoat
  • Its raining outside, you will need this too...

• upos said:

Why then was it done? There only seems downsides to all involved and no benefits. Surely someone must have realised this was a no win situation, so why put the Club and themselves in this position? I am completely baffled!

The role of the PR / Communications Dept. is to foresee and avoid incidents such as this. This isn't the first time and probably won't be the last. So, either our Communications people aren't doing their jobs or our owners are not paying attention to their advice.
  • I doubt the board care, I really do.