Our Best XI (and formation)

2»

Comments

• edited April 2016
    The dilemma we have is that we need a new striker, but a fit lumber... Andy Carroll could be that striker.

But if he doesn't stay fit, we need a new first choice forward, IMO.

If he does, we could end up wasting £25m for no reason.
  • Was thinking about that

Problem is Carroll can be unplayable, but it has to be perfect
    He has the last 4 games of the season to prove that he can be relied upon

He has 9 goals in the premier league so he's on course to beat his best tally with us, but he's a time bomb

Imo, carroll can be our 20 goal a season striker but I'd still buy a new striker

He just cannot be relied upon to stay injury free

We all know what will happen
    carroll will score 3/4 more goals this season, we won't get a new striker he'll start the season on fire then on September 2nd he'll get injured for 3 months

We have to be brave in the summer and we have to assume that carroll won't stay injury free
  • We must watch different teams then.
  • edited April 2016
    IronHerb said:

We must watch different teams then.

Regarding Obiang?

He's rarely played consistently all season (11 starts) so it's a bit ;hmm how a judgement either way can be formed anyway.

• Adrian
    Tomkins Reid Ogonna Cresswell
    Noble Kouyate
    Antonio Payet Lanzini
    Sakho

I agree with this, as things are at this moment in time. Hopefully Byram will take over from Tomkins, but tbh I've not seen enough of him to know if he should be starting atm.

After finally having 4 cbs that I'm happy with, I fear Tomkins may push for a move in the summer as he can't even get a game at RB ahead of Antonio. Certainly wouldn't look to move Obiang on, he's looked very solid when he's had a chance to play (and solid is exactly what you want from a DM imo). Carroll great as an option for certain games or off the bench, but as Champo says Sakho (if his head is right) offers more all round.
  • I like Slaven's 3 4 3 but with 1 change- Lanzini in for Carroll who can be an impact sub.

Adrian
    Tomkins - Reid - Ogbonna
    Antonio - Kouyate - Noble - Cresswell
    Payet Lanzini
    Sakho
  • Its tough to definitively say one way or the other, however, One of the pleasing aspects from this campaign has been the variety in our formations and systems used. I like 3 at the back, Its worked well for us this season and IMO it plays right to our strengths. Its also a good alternative to have up our sleeve and allows a variety of subtle tactical changes if needed, without having to make wholesale changes. I really like:-

---------------------ADRIAN--------------------
    -------TOMKINS-----COLLINS----OGBONNA--------
    ---ANTONIO---------KOUYATE--------CRESSWELL--
    -------------NOBLE--------LANZINI--------------
    ---------------------PAYET---------------------
    ---------------CARROLL/SAKHO------------------

P.S:-

-I like Obiang. I've been impressed whenever he has played; he's probably been a victim of Lanzini's surprising success in a deeper position. He's very composed, calm, tidy and quite subtle in what he does; sometimes it may look simple but often players would play a more risk adverse game and play safe all the time instead of having that positive intent.

-I would love us to get europa league qualification because I believe we can compete on all fronts next year and generally speaking, its a good fit for us; its something which improves the club, improves the players and is something we can really to build upon.

- I dont think we need that much business in the summer, maybe just 4-5 high calibre signings. (Including nordtveit who has already supposedly signed a pre-contract).
  • Intersting discussion no best x11 can be decided on any one week it changes week to week but for the last 4 games
    Adrian
    Byram (Antonio) struggled but been pretty good going forward
    Reid
    Ginge (Ogbinna) looks iffy at mo
    Cresswell
    Noble
    Kouyate
    Payet
    Antonio
    Moses
    AC tempted with Sakho but AC 5 goals 4 games cant leave him out

Subs Sakho Lanzini Eminike can much a difference

Not place for EV had his chances Tonks Oxford Obiang also good backup
    COYO we can do this 10 day break refreshed we are in pole position top 6 ;scarf
  • Will we have the investment to take us to the next level?

You look at the first team and think striker and a right back 1st choice we need to get in.

But everywhere else i think we would need 15m+ players to usurp their counter parts in the first team already. So it becomes a matter of buying back ups unless we have the money to buy those players.

Nice to see us spend on youth but only worth doing that if they have a genuine chance to break through.
  • edited April 2016
    twc - no way would our best XI not include Reid, IMO.

Ginge has been fantastic this season, but we know he's playing above his usual standard. It's not like he's played like that his entire career.

Ogbonna is a ;hmm one. Sometimes he looks very classy and I rate him, but at others he looks like he's making his debut.
  • Am I right in thinking that we've only.played 3 at the back twice, once in the win against Spurs and again in the first half of arsenal where we were torn apart

Think the personnel is all but done it's just the formation