Best ever player

2»

Comments

• edited March 2016
    chicago

;ok

I've always felt a lot of the negative press about him stemmed from prejudices about working class southerners: if you don't talk proper you must be fik, and there's something distasteful (and frankly unfair) about 'oiks' making tons of money while one toils away, genius unrecognised.

Whenever I've heard either of the Beckhams interviewed, they cone across as thoroughly nice people who have had the good fortune to make a stash of money without it seeming to have affected their core values.

Perhaps he isn't a top 10 world's best player, but the clubs he played for, and the medals he collected, are testimony to just how good he was.
  • Well said Grey ;clap
  • Hammerex said:

Hainault, in that case it would have to be Billy Bonds.

Committed to the cause could be Billy's epitaph and no one comes near for me.

I would like 3 statues and an empty plinth at the four ends of the new stadium, the existing statue of Bobby, one of Billy Bonds and one of John Lyall the last one left empty for now as an invitation to those who follow in those footsteps, perhaps Slav when he wins the champions league?
  • I can remember Brooking giving an interview regarding training.He said when they had to do cross country, he used to jog along near the back of the pack and put a bit of a spurt on to get away from the stragglers at the end. Whereas Billy Bonds was right at the front determined to win, slugging it out with the youngsters.
    He also said he remembers playing an away match over the Xmas Holiday, it was freezing cold, they was getting stuffed, and all he wanted was to have a hot shower and go home with about ten minutes to go. Whereas Bonds is ranting at his
    team mates, crunching tackles and giving 100%. That was Billy as know him.
  • I don’t think Beckham would even be in the top 10 English players of the modern era (let alone ever). Yes, hes a nice guy and there’s nobody better than him in terms of making a financial success compared to his talent (which was basically the ability to put a cross in and take a decent free kick)
    However, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes were appreciably better midfielders IMO and I’d also put players like Le Tissier, Hoddle and Gascoigne in front of him purely from a skill/talent point of view too (others too but those three are a lot in front of him). Then, away from midfield, you have players such as Lineker, Shearer and Rooney...
  • Wouldn't rule out Zola or Rossi either.
  • For me, it has to be Lee Cattermole.............. ;biggrin
  • I think you mean clattermole ;wink
  • Whack-a-Mole
  • A player who could dribble, send a player the wrong way with a drop of his shoulder, who could tackle, defend and score goals. There was only one, the late great George Best. There was no other player came close.
  • Balancing it out: Lev Yashin, Gordon Banks, Gigi Buffon
  • Messi
    Zidane
    Franco Baresi
    Van Basten
    Maldini
    Zola
    Bergkamp
    Suarez

;ok
  • Maldini ;thumbsup
  • Carlton Coleinho.
  • For a few moments on Monday - Dean Ashton!
  • Seeing Carlton on Monday shows how far we've come the first touch of a leper...
  • ;puzzled