Ground sharing the OS or Wembley [yes they can / no they can't]

Comments

• edited January 2016
    No honestly sock it to her.......

Stand up tall, deep breath and shout out from the bottom of your lungs

"DID YOU MISLEAD US ABOUT THE OLYMPIC STADIUM!!!!"
  • "As anchor tenant we have primacy of use during the football season and our contract gives us overriding priority to use the stadium, ensuring our‎ fixtures and events are ring-fenced and will always take priority over all‎ other events," said a West Ham spokesman.

"It would therefore be impossible to accommodate the fixtures of another Premier League club without West Ham agreeing - a position which was fully supported at today's hearing.‎"

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35406023
  • No honestly sock it to her.......

Stand up tall, deep breath and shout out from the bottom of your lungs

"DID YOU MISLEAD US ABOUT THE OLYMPIC STADIUM!!!!"

No.

• edited January 2016
    Don't need to ask on my account,suz.

I've read what the LLDC say, what KB says and what the club spokesperson says, and they are all in agreement: no groundshare unless West Ham gives it the ;ok

As far as I am concerned, there's no question to be answered.
  • It would therefore be impossible to accommodate the fixtures of another Premier League club without West Ham agreeing - a position which was fully supported at today's hearing.

Slizzy

Not sure what bit of that isn't clear enough, tbh.
  • Will be interesting to see if the appeal will force all of this to be opened up and if there is anything in writing that says WHU have the right to veto any groundshare.....and I don't just mean stick their hand in the air and say "sorry don't like that"
  • I think we should let them play in the claret and blue stadium with West Ham advertising and highlights going around the big screen on their match days ;thumbsup
  • Slizzy

Pretty sure that is all available atm.

The appeal is the LLDC trying to avoid revealing certain financial aspects of the contract; the club have no objection to the whole deal being made public, and are not appealing the case.

Seems to me that if the club can show a ground-share would be detrimental to our tenancy, it can't be done.

If it isn't detrimental to our tenancy, can't see why we'd be bothered.
  • Izzy, the PL would have to agree too - that's in the PL rules (so no need for it to be in any contract).
  • Greys.

All this opened up, as in not just the veto piece about ground sharing but on that subject the exact details if any.

PL yes I know....clubs and league would probably have to agree.

My point is, I don't think WHU get the final say, even though we may voice our disproval to anything the LLDC may want to do.

;ok
  • Slizzy

Not sure how you work that out, given what both the club and LLDC have said about it, but lets agree to disagree and see what happens.
  • edited January 2016
    The LLDC have said there is no "veto" agreement in place for WHU to STOP any ground sharing, they (LLDC) admitted it yesterday.

Sorry, thought that bit was clear.

I don't believe the club get the final say, do they get a chance to voice their concerns, yes, but not the final say.

Brady was quoted as saying that WHU would probably say "no" to any ground sharing. It doesn't sound to me like they even need to be asked?
  • edited January 2016
    The LLDC finance executive, Geraldine Murphy, told an information tribunal that a groundshare could happen “if the teams co-operate and the Premier League co-operates”,

Why say that, if it doesn't require our cooperation?

"It would therefore be impossible to accommodate the fixtures of another Premier League club without West Ham agreeing - a position which was fully supported at today's hearing.‎"

You seem to feel that our spokesperson yesterday is either misinformed or lying... ;hmm
  • edited January 2016
    Co-operation would probably happen because of so much public pressure. West Ham would be pushed into a ground share if there is no water tight option written in the contract. I dont see the club winning any argument otherwise. Groundshares have happened before to, there is no reason they can argue that fixtures would not be impossible because that's complete rubbish as sky literally make the PL bend over to change fixtures for TV.
  • We seem to be entering the realms of idle speculation now.

The club have made it clear that if a ground-share materially impacts on our tenancy, they can block it.

If a ground-share doesn't materially impact on our tenancy, then why is anyone bothered if we have one?
  • Grey, ;ok

• lets just stay ;cool
  • edited January 2016
    Depends grey, doesn't seem as cut and dried as that though does it, especially when Sully said this in 2014.

www.thfclatest.com/2014/11/04/spurs-to-play-in-olympic-stadium/

"Speaking on Sky Sports News, David Sullivan admitted that West Ham can only prevent another club using the Olympic Stadium during the Hammers inaugural season of 2016/17".
  • We seem to be entering the realms of idle speculation now.

The club have made it clear that if a ground-share materially impacts on our tenancy, they can block it.

If a ground-share doesn't materially impact on our tenancy, then why is anyone bothered if we have one?

Okay Grey, lets see.

Probably won't ever be a ground share, but I think the point could be that the board may have over stated their "power" in all this, should a share ever be proposed or considered and that's my point.

;ok
  • Meanwhile...

I think the point could be that the board may have properly stated their "power" in all this, should a share ever be proposed or considered and that's my point.

;ok
  • edited January 2016
    tbh, we would only ever really know the full extent of West Ham's power to object to a ground-share if:

a) a ground-share was proposed

b) West Ham objected, but were overruled

and

c) launched an appeal with whoever the relevant authorities might be.

My personal feeling is that the comment from the LLDC yesterday was an ill-advised attempt by a body under fire to show that they have not been given the run-around by the club, and the caveat of 'if the teams co-operate and the Premier League co-operates' shows that.

• edited January 2016

Depends grey, doesn't seem as cut and dried as that though does it, especially when Sully said this in 2014.

"Speaking on Sky Sports News, David Sullivan admitted that West Ham can only prevent another club using the Olympic Stadium during the Hammers inaugural season of 2016/17".

Where is the link to the actual comments on Sky Sports in which Sully made this comment?

To me it really seems as if you are trying to find something where there is nothing.

The club have the ability to stop anything which has a direct impact on them being able to fulfill their sporting obligations.
    If someone can come and prove that there will be no distruption to that they get to groundshare.

E.g. West Ham and Spurs are both in the FA cup/League Cup. We both get drawn to play at home. The FA cup people/Spurs/West Ham ALL have to agree and co-operate to find a solution.

• Don't think the PL has any jurisdiction over the FA Cup.... just saying ;whistle
  • edited January 2016
    Don't know what you're talking about ;whistle
  • I would imaging our board would flight tooth and nail to prevent any other club having the OS as their home ground, all be it on a temporary basis.

I also believe that we have the final say.
  • Moojor said:

Where is the link to the actual comments on Sky Sports in which Sully made this comment?

To me it really seems as if you are trying to find something where there is nothing.

The club have the ability to stop anything which has a direct impact on them being able to fulfill their sporting obligations.
    If someone can come and prove that there will be no distruption to that they get to groundshare.

E.g. West Ham and Spurs are both in the FA cup/League Cup. We both get drawn to play at home. The FA cup people/Spurs/West Ham ALL have to agree and co-operate to find a solution.

What?

I'm trying to find something where there is nothing?

Sorry bud.....but there appears to be a slight descrepency here.......

Son let's get this straight....I've presented a direct quote that Sully said in 2014, unless you want me to personally knock on his door and ask him again, not much more I can do.

Secondly I don't actually think there will be a share, but if it does come up ITS MY OPINION that the club haven't quite been 100% with their comments, I.e Brady in her Sun Column.

Why would she say anything else? I mean if she says "actually there could be a share, we would be consulted but powerless to stop it" then it's hardly going to go down well with getting the fans onboard in the last 2 years is it?

Juat because they're our owners and they've done a fantastic job in the main in the last 6 years doesn't mean they don't spin stuff or come out with statements in order to appease fans from time to time.

;ok
  • I would imaging our board would flight tooth and nail to prevent any other club having the OS as their home ground, all be it on a temporary basis.

I also believe that we have the final say.

Agree with the first bit.

Respectfully disagree with the second bit.
  • edited January 2016

Do you believe that the fans would've been happy sharing our new home with Spurs or CFC for any period of time? If that had been on the table in the last 18 months or so?

Because I would guess a significant number wouldn't.

Just my opinion of course.

;ok
  • It's more speculation, but I don't believe it would have had any real impact, apart from in Twitland, where even Fox Mulder wonders about some of them users...

It would have no impact on the stadium branding, nor on the match day experience, so I don't see that it would have had any impact on season ticket sales.