Just when you thought proper football was back here's the International Break - September 2024

2»

Comments

• Pretty good display from England, their keeper stopped us getting three or four. Jarrod looked sharp when he came on and could’ve had at least one goal.
    Declan MOM for me.
  • Started ok then it all turned a bit Southgate.
  • Started ok then it all turned a bit Southgate.

Apart from their keeper stopping at least two certain goals in the second half.

• edited September 7
    Should have been creating chance after chance, that Ireland squad is really poor.

The comparison to Southgate is the lack of pace in moving the ball forward and too many passes which don't progress the move, which for me is his signature. Although to be fair we didn't work a short corner back to the keeper this time.
  • Slacker said:

Started ok then it all turned a bit Southgate.

Apart from their keeper stopping at least two certain goals in the second half.

Without trying to be pedantic, if the keeper makes a save then he stops a certain goal.
    The save from Bowen with his feet was rather good though.
  • edited September 7
    Füllkrug started for Germany this evening against Hungary, played 60 minutes, and scored a tap in.
  • Aaaaanway I thought it was pretty good really.
    Back to Green Day and Talking Heads……🎶🎶
  • Love Talking heads, this for me is one of the best live 'performances' recorded.

• Füllkrug started for Germany this evening against Hungary, played 60 minutes, and scored a tap in.

I’d like to read this when he’s in a west ham shirt…
  • Bazshuayi said:

Füllkrug started for Germany this evening against Hungary, played 60 minutes, and scored a tap in.

I’d like to read this when he’s in a west ham shirt…
    That's out of my hands I'm afraid.
  • Czechia got thumped 4-1 in Georgia with Euro hero George Mikautadze on the score sheet. Soucek and Coufal played 90 minutes, Coufal picked up a ywllow

Greece beat Finland 3-0, Mavropanos played 90 mins

Apart from Kudus's shirt no reported injuries
  • It's been reported on KUMB that Füllkrug dropped out of training early today and left the pitch alongside team doctors 😭😭😭.
  • It's been reported on KUMB that Füllkrug dropped out of training early today and left the pitch alongside team doctors 😭😭😭.

Great! Andy Carroll mk 2.
  • Niger 1-1 Ghana, Kudus played 90 mins and provided the assist
  • edited September 10

It's been reported on KUMB that Füllkrug dropped out of training early today and left the pitch alongside team doctors 😭😭😭.

According to an ITK over there Füllkrug has a long standing issue with his lower calf/achilles that requires management (don't we ever learn?) and that's where the problem is today. Apparently he's already left the Germany team base. Uncertain at this point if it's just a worse than usual flare up of the known issue, or if there's more damage/a tear.

• Word on the tweet is it’s Achilles tendinitis 🤷‍♂️
  • Ravel49 said:

Word on the tweet is it’s Achilles tendinitis 🤷‍♂️

Sounds consistent with what was posted on KUMB and is something that is usually managed with painkillers/injections. Hopefully it's just a flare up of this rather than a tear.

• Makes me even more sore that we didn't stump up the extra for Duran 😤
  • What does Bowen have to do to get a start for England
  • It does raise even more questions on Füllkrug's suitability imo. We know Steidten was keen on him, having suggested him to Moyes last summer, but to trump up considerably more money, a year later, with Füllkrug only likely to deteriorate rather than improve does cast a bit of a shadow over this summer's dealings. Now we find out that he's been managing an injury as well; if that's been going on for a while, it's again hardly likely to improve with age, is it?

Admittedly we've not seen much of most of our signings so far, but I'm quite pleased with our dealings this summer, apart from having a big question mark over our decisions at CF. I'm not saying we should have agreed to anything Villa wanted, but to move from a young, pacy target like Duran to Füllkrug just seems like a complete scattergun approach that I thought and hoped we'd moved on from, especially as we still paid decent money for him.
  • Bowen on for the final 10 minutes, replacing Kane as CF; unless Füllkrug makes a dramatic recovery I hope he starts there for us on Saturday.
  • Start Bowen up front. Antonio impact sub.
  • Start Bowen up front. Antonio impact sub.

That's a good shout as allows Kudus to go on the right, Summerville on the left, which I think could be a very good set up.
  • Soucek scored a penalty as Czechia beat Ukraine 3-2, both he and Coufal played the full 90 minutes. Mavropanos played 90 minutes against Ireland, Areola and Rodriguez both sat through their matches

Brazil lost 1-0 to Paraguay, Paqueta picked up a yellow card in the first half and was substituted after 79 minutes, Antonio also got a yellow, scored a penalty and was subbed in the 84th minute of Jamaica's 2-1 win over Honduras

BTW Jamaica's new manager is Steve McClaren (yes, that one)
  • Excellent round up as usual ASLEF 👏👏👏.
  • BTW Jamaica's new manager is Steve McClaren (yes, that one)

I’m so excited for him doing an interview in the local accent like when he was at Twente.
  • alderz said:

BTW Jamaica's new manager is Steve McClaren (yes, that one)

I’m so excited for him doing an interview in the local accent like when he was at Twente.
    Guessing you've not seen this nugget yet then:

• Excellent round up as usual ASLEF 👏👏👏.

Shucks

Thanks