Film, TV, Books. Maybe theatre? Gaming stuff also...

edited August 2023 in General Chatter
https://www.whu606.com/discussion/11546/films-and-tv/p7

That's the old thread - lots of good recommendations there!

I've got a question. I've just encountered Ben Aaronovitch books, Rivers of London series. So, why did I not know about this before?? Am enjoying it immensely ( 1st book).

Comments

• I’ve not read them myself but bought the first two for my dad last birthday, or maybe Christmas, and he loves them. I’ve just been given McMasters Guide to Homicide and I’m very excited to start it.

Also, if we’re doing recommendations, we watched Black Bird on Apple TV recently. It’s got Taron Edgerton in, and it was amazing. Very dark, but excellent.
  • I just watched “The Barking Murders” curious as I had not heard of the case, was quickly immersed by the overall production, obviously dark but ended up binging the whole thing in a single evening.

Really well acted and thought provoking.

They walk among us
  • MrsGrey said:

https://www.whu606.com/discussion/11546/films-and-tv/p7

That's the old thread - lots of good recommendations there!

I've got a question. I've just encountered Ben Aaronovitch books, Rivers of London series. So, why did I not know about this before?? Am enjoying it immensely ( 1st book).

Just looked that up, it seems like you've got a lot of reading ahead of you MrsGrey. =)
  • Good!

I love finding a new series - it removes all the stress of what to read next. (For a little while, at least!)

I read a lot. (No TV.)
  • alderz :+1: Just got that book.
  • MrsGrey said:

alderz :+1: Just got that book.

Just read it. :+1:
  • I might have a book for you to read 👀
  • MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

alderz :+1: Just got that book.

Just read it. :+1:
    I haven’t started yet!
  • Shogun by James Clavell. Brilliant book, quite a big book and the print in the book i read was tiny but wasn't I got over that I really enjoyed it.
  • Preston, I read that and some of his other books back in the 70s/80s, enjoyed all of them. Check out King Rat based on his personal experience of the Japanese POW camp at Changi in Singapore.
  • I might have a book for you to read 👀

Yours?
  • MrsGrey said:

I've been meaning to read them for years but never got round to it. Reading the first one now and really enjoying it. Reminds me of Neil Gaiman a bit, who's one of my favourite authors.
  • Question, a wee while back someone recommended a TV drama based around Western Approaches in WW2 Liverpool.

I have looked back in the chat and tried a few guesses but to no avail, could someone kindly remind me of the title?
  • That was me. I think it's called War Gamers and it's on Sky History.
  • Saw "Barbie" yesterday

Very clever, very subversive like "The Lego Movie".

Loved Will Ferrell and his gang of white male Mattel board members and Rhea Perlman, god bless her!
  • I really didn't like it.

A few funny bits, but massively over-hyped imo. :-(
  • MrsGrey said:

I really didn't like it.

A few funny bits, but massively over-hyped imo. :-(

More of a fan Sindy then Mrs Grey? Hahaha
  • I've read all of the Rivers books and I enjoy them. However, the latest books have become pretty predictable like Aaronovitch has rub out of ideas. The first 4 or 5 books were great, though.

If you like Gaiman you would like the Shadow Police series by another Doctor Who author (Paul Cornell) in which Gaiman actually makes a guest appearance. The first book actually has a West Ham connection with any player sciring a hattrick against West Ham being killed.
  • Love the Zadie smith play, wife of Willesden. An update on chaucers wife of bath tale. And written in the same rhyming prose.