MOTM vs Brighton

Erm… ok? We won?! Who was your MOTM??

Comments

• There were quite a few who could have won it but for me... drum roll........ Areola wins it for me. Some outstanding saves at the right time.
  • Close call for me between Antonio and Areola….
    IMO it’s AREOLA as MOM 👍🏻⚒️
  • Areola. Saved us so many times.
  • Areola - all day long
  • Sorry didn't see enough of the game to pitch in.
  • Moyes

Do a proper answer though.

I was going to say Antonio or Areola, but because Areola was close last week and missed out I’m going for him.
  • Antonio - looking like his old self just edged it from Areola for me.
  • Antonio just edged it from Ariola for me but two stand out performances. the defence as a whole were well drilled throughout and superb.
  • Ariola for me ,just ahead of Antonio .Also the ref a close 3rd gave Brighton nothing
  • Ariola shaded it over Antonio
  • Tough call this. Without his early fumble that could easily have ended in the back of our net Areola would have walked it, but he still squeaked it for me. Honourable mentions to Zouma (surprised he's not appeared so far), Paqueta and Antonio. Despite not making my top 4, Benrahma has to get assist/pass of the season for the second goal.
  • edited August 2023
    Zouma was top of the rankings for clearances. Otherwise according to stats comparing him with other defenders, didn't do anything special. Was really poor at passing.
  • Everyone stuck to their job very well. A special mention for Areola, but for being back to his old self,
    Antonio.
  • Ward-Prowse
  • Antonio please
  • MrsGrey said:

Was really poor at passing.

So were we all I think. Pretty sure a stat came up at one point that had 220 completed passes for Brighton, and 15 for us.
  • The number isn't really significant, because we had such little possession. Percentage is a better measure.

Player passing stats - I tend to mostly not worry too much about defenders cos so many are 'to m, to you, to gk, to me' under little pressure.

My comment above was relating to whether Zouma was worthy of special plaudits - but he wasn't particularly different from our other defenders except the stat I mentioned.

Ogbonna had 82% compared to Zoumas 45% pass accuracy. Emerson + Coufal 64%.

Overall, Bowen and JWP had good pass accuracy stats.
  • I think we spent most of the game defending, so a defensive player for me gets MOTM. Areola was good but also almost dropped the ball in his goal & also a couple of wayward throws. I thought Zouma seemed to be everywhere.
  • Areola, without his superb saves we would have been slaughtered
  • Areola - avoided a West Ham collapse- but some superb performances from Antonio, Bowen and JWP. Hats off to Arry...
  • Harry Maguire, for messing up his transfer and staying where he was. Class positioning that helped West Ham hold on to a 3-1 lead.
  • I'd like to give a special mention to JWP for looking as if he's played for us forever. He's slotted seamlessly into the team and been instrumental in both games he's played in.
    I'd go so far as to say that if he'd been here for the first game we'd be sitting on 9 points now.
  • I'll go for Alfi Areola

• I'd go so far as to say that if he'd been here for the first game we'd be sitting on 9 points now.

That's on Moyes.

;)
  • MrsGrey said:

I'd go so far as to say that if he'd been here for the first game we'd be sitting on 9 points now.

That's on Moyes.

;)
    Or Southampton.
This discussion has been closed.