Covid and Football, a circuit breaker or not?

edited December 2020 in Football Chatter
This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn’t think.... part three.

Comments

• Whats big Sam on about wanting a break ,If hes worried about covid should have never taken the job in the first place .Seems like he signed a contract without thinking just saw the pound notes coming his way .And now he is worried
  • Probably wants to gel his jan transfer signings in seems like a ploy of his
  • steve said:

Whats big Sam on about wanting a break ,If hes worried about covid should have never taken the job in the first place .Seems like he signed a contract without thinking just saw the pound notes coming his way .And now he is worried

The cynic in me says that he wants some time to work with the squad and get them up to scratch. But tbh I kind of agree that there should be some kind of break. Look at how many games up and down the leagues are being affected at the moment. A two or three week isolation break might help reduce the infections in squads.
  • A break might be a good idea.Just dont like Sam going on about being 66 and worried about covid .He was 66 two weeks ago and cases were going up .So why take the job ,Just stay home and be safe
  • If we have a 2 or 3 week break, then the Euros will have to be moved or scrapped because we won't have room in the schedule to play them all.
  • We're not at the peak of this wave yet so breaking now and returning when conditions are likely to be worse makes no sense to me. Carry on until it's obvious it needs to stop.
  • edited December 2020
    IronHerb said:

We're not at the peak of this wave yet so breaking now and returning when conditions are likely to be worse makes no sense to me. Carry on until it's obvious it needs to stop.

If you isolate the players properly, like they were until the summer, then you can break it off. Their peak doesn’t have to be the same as the rest of the country’s. It really seems quite uncontrolled among the players right now.
  • I split this off the 'don't know where to put it' thread. Think it's worthy of a separate topic...
  • If we have a 2 or 3 week break, then the Euros will have to be moved or scrapped because we won't have room in the schedule to play them all.

If we have a 2 or 3 week break the Euros will go ahead as scheduled and any English fixtures that haven't been played will have to wait until July. UEFA isn't going to cancel twice unless they absolutely have to and if the rest of Europe manage to complete their seasons they aren't going to make an exception for England.
  • Cancel FA cup to free up space? Or just take the PL out of it?
  • MrsGrey said:

Cancel FA cup to free up space? Or just take the PL out of it?

No way they'll run the FA Cup without the PL imo, especially as relatively few Premier League games (3 is it so far?) have been postponed so far. The PL players, imo, are hugely rewarded for what they do, so they should be prepared to put up with a few more restrictions than the rest of us for the next few months to keep themselves Covid free. BFS looking for time to work with his squad imo.
  • They will have to have like we have now with 3 games in 6 days.

No idea where they will fit in the world cup qualifiers if they keep pushing the season.
  • One of the measures that could help reduce the spread of Covid among the players would be to appoint each player their own personal hairdresser who only works for that player and is tested before each appointment. =)
  • Looking at the latest style, I think the players could self-haircut with a pudding bowl and a pair of shears.... =)
  • edited December 2020
    MrsGrey said:

Cancel FA cup to free up space? Or just take the PL out of it?

I imagine that the FA wouldn't be best pleased if the Premier League dropped out, I imagine there are contractual obligations and the FA might take the Prem to court either for damages or to force them to play the Cup fixtures

Also UEFA only gives Europa League places to Cup competitions that include top flight clubs, if the Premier League dropped out of the FA Cup it would break the agreement with UEFA.

No idea where they will fit in the world cup qualifiers if they keep pushing the season.

The international breaks are already scheduled by FIFA, the Premier League will just have to work around them

Other European nations have a distinct advantage over England as they already have a winter break, only one major cup competition and have plenty of free space for rescheduling possible postponed games. When the Euros start players from those leagues will have played less football than those in the Premier League and will be in better physical shape.

I seem to remember this issue was brought up a few years ago after England got knocked out in the Group Stage of either the World Cup or the Euros. We didn't do anything about it then and here we are again with the same problem.

Maybe the FA, Football League and Premier League will get together to sort something out between them - unlike other countries who just have one FA that administers everything
  • All good points, Aslef. But it's not s normal year, and we've seen at the end of last season that pragmatic decisions had to be taken. So as you say, maybe the various governing bodies will cooperate and compromise.

The postponement of league games is affecting the Championship too, I see. Some of whose players will also be expecting to play in the Euros.

All very tricky.
  • I wonder what's happening with the FA cup as no spectators means a big drop in revenue for the smaller lower league clubs.
  • I seem to remember this issue was brought up a few years ago after England got knocked out in the Group Stage of either the World Cup or the Euros. We didn't do anything about it then and here we are again with the same problem.

Maybe the FA, Football League and Premier League will get together to sort something out between them - unlike other countries who just have one FA that administers everything

Wasn't there going to be a winter break this season, had last season been uninterupted?
  • I seem to remember this issue was brought up a few years ago after England got knocked out in the Group Stage of either the World Cup or the Euros. We didn't do anything about it then and here we are again with the same problem.

Wasn't there going to be a winter break this season, had last season been uninterupted?
    The idea was that half the teams would play midweek after the FA Cup 3rd round (13th), no games on the following weekend (16/17th), then the other half play midweek (20th).

The winter breaks have been shorter this year because of Covid, Spain only had 5 days without football while Italy and Germany have 10 days.
  • If there's a break then the league may just rearrange more mid week games, then the managers will moan they're playing too many games in a week. There's no easy answer
  • We had the bizarre winter break last year where half the clubs played one weekend and the other half the next. Then came lockdown and there were extra fixtures to be fitted in.
  • edited December 2020
    yoyo said:

If there's a break then the league may just rearrange more mid week games, then the managers will moan they're playing too many games in a week. There's no easy answer

That might work for the 13 teams not involved in Europe and only if they're playing each other
  • winter breaks not so attractive now you cannot fly aboard play in a meaningless tournament for money
  • Yeah those outside seats are really draughty =)
  • Why is football being played, especially in London and other Tier 4 areas? It's not for the well being of the fans, as none are at the matches. It can only be to satisfy Sky and other pay as you go services. The way it is going, there will be a huge backlog anyway. Why not close for January and run into the warmer weather, probably evening games?
    Just a thought
  • What does help is idiot players going to parties, lanzini amongst then, which is probably why he was benched vs Everton
  • Why is football being played, especially in London and other Tier 4 areas? It's not for the well being of the fans, as none are at the matches. It can only be to satisfy Sky and other pay as you go services. The way it is going, there will be a huge backlog anyway. Why not close for January and run into the warmer weather, probably evening games?
    Just a thought

I’ve seen a lot of comments about how the football is positive for people’s mental health. There is a lot that’s been taken away this year, and football carrying on is at least something people have been able to have.
  • alderz said:

Why is football being played, especially in London and other Tier 4 areas? It's not for the well being of the fans, as none are at the matches. It can only be to satisfy Sky and other pay as you go services. The way it is going, there will be a huge backlog anyway. Why not close for January and run into the warmer weather, probably evening games?
    Just a thought

I’ve seen a lot of comments about how the football is positive for people’s mental health. There is a lot that’s been taken away this year, and football carrying on is at least something people have been able to have.
    While that's true you can't put individuals at risk for others mental health
  • What does help is idiot players going to parties, lanzini amongst then, which is probably why he was benched vs Everton

And how stupid are they to take photos, and let someone post them on, I'm guessing, social media somewhere.

• While that's true you can't put individuals at risk for others mental health

True but it's the same discussion with schools over here. If we want people to be able to go to work and keep the economy going then schools and Kindergardens need to remain open,thus putting teachers at risk for the good of others.

From that point of view (and seing hiw much they earn we should be able to ask them to bubble up) I surely think they could carry on playing, simply going into bio secure bubbles tournament style.