Lets take some Libertys! Swans away Match Thread (3.3.18)

Comments

• Blind faith Suze. We are the team who are in a downward spiral at the moment and before that started when we were on an unbeaten run we were mostly drawing.
    I still believe we are going yo be dependent on relying on other teams to fail but some of those teams appear to have woken up to the situation they're in whereas we haven't.
  • edited March 2018
    Unless we plan to surprise the likes of Man City or Chelsea, we could do with waking up next week v Burnley
  • But thorn that is no different to every season ever. The teams who go down don't get as many points as those who stay up. That's how leagues work!
  • Not blind faith Thorn, no.

But I do believe...
  • Not sure I understand what you're point is IH. What I meant was other teams seem to realise that they're in a fight but we don't. If the expectation this season is 40 points are needed then I don't see us getting to that figure so I hope that it's a few less than that and three other teams don't get there either.
    We are only one game away from the bottom three and the way we are shipping goals our goal difference is not likely to help us.
  • Luckily for us we have six homes games left and it is perfectly feasible for us to achieve a positive result in 5 of them. However none of this will arrive gift wrapped on a plate. It will be zero points if yesterday’s application is showed. It’s getting a little tedious seeing the likes of Adrian and others showing fighting talk on the website and then not backing it up on the field. Talk is cheap.
  • Other teams have been thumped by rivals. Our fans seem so quick to give up.

Swansea got battered by Brighton last week. Bournemouth got battered by Huddersfield. Huddersfield got battered by West Ham. Leicester got batter by Palace. Leicester battered Southampton. Everton got battered by Southampton. Newcastle got battered by Watford.

We were utterly dreadful yesterday, with a makeshift defence and a 9-10 awful individual performances.

But it happens. We are not the only team it happens to.
  • I think everybody knows that but we seem to have cornered the market on totally dreadful performances
  • But we haven't. West Brom, Stoke and Southampton are lighting up the division with their magical performances....
  • edited March 2018

Not sure I understand what you're point is IH. What I meant was other teams seem to realise that they're in a fight but we don't. If the expectation this season is 40 points are needed then I don't see us getting to that figure so I hope that it's a few less than that and three other teams don't get there either.
    We are only one game away from the bottom three and the way we are shipping goals our goal difference is not likely to help us.

You keep saying that we are dependant on other teams slipping up but we are not. It's in our own hands.
  • Those three you mention aren't playing in exciting games but they aren't necessarily putting in abject performances especially away from home. We've shipped more than 2 goals per game, the worst in the league and we haven't been beaten by top class football in a lot of those games.
  • IH of course it's in our own hands but are you confident the way we are playing that we will get the points we need. I'm not at the moment.
  • edited March 2018
    Yes I am. We have played 2 poor games recently, Brighton and Swansea, but lots of people forget the games where we played ok.
  • IH

Not sure I fully agree with you. Season 09/10 was a truly abject season under Zola. We pretty much stayed up by default due to pompey’s administration and hull/Burnley capitulation.

Season 06/07 we were in deep trouble. Then the likes of our third party owned striker, Noble, Green, Zamora et al literally fought and lit up the season to keep us up.

For sure our fate is in our hands but the way we set about things yesterday smacked of the players almost thinking things will work themselves out by itself
  • I’m concerned for the club at the minute that’s for sure
    When we were at UP we always got a decent attendance when relegated however I feel if we go down at the LS I think the fans will leave in droves
  • The “fans” who bought cheap 2 year season tickets to see premiership football in London, but did not really support the club will of course leave in droves. And that would be a good thing. I still don’t see us going down, but I would rather build on a strong fan base and grow properly rather than what appears to be a sell out crowd that actually is not.
  • I always thought Swansea took ‘the West Ham way’ and improved it. They improved it by not deviating from the plan. Would love to watch a team that week in, week out try’s to play decent football.
  • Last week they got smashed by Brighton. They aren’t that good.
  • They parked the bus against Liverpool
  • Last week they got smashed by Brighton. They aren’t that good.

Stick to their guns though
  • No, they don’t. The idea they are still an exciting passing team is a total myth.

They were dreadful all of last season and Clement kept them up by tightening the defence.

They were dreadful all of this season until Carvahal came in and tightened up their defence.

We had more of the ball yesterday, so to eulogise over them as a great passing side seems over the top. They had a good day, we had an abject one. We’re still on the same points.
  • I must have missed the hoof ball games
  • The Dog and Duck could of beat us yesterday.
  • Just a dog would have wouldn’t need the duck
  • When we were at UP we always got a decent attendance when relegated however I feel if we go down at the LS I think the fans will leave in droves
    For a given value of 'decent'.

Typically, we dropped around a 6th or more of our attendance when we got relegated.

I can't see any reason the LS would be any different to UP.

Perhpas there are a small element of 'tourist' fans, but not enough to make a massive difference, imo.
  • What happened? I go away for 10 days, decide to stay out of network range... when I left, we were 6% likely for relegation according to a highly reputed scientific survey ;hmm. Now I find we're 106% certain for relegation according to highly reputed football experts on WHU606 ;wink. It's all clearly my fault, but don't panic, I'll not take any trips from now, the place behind the sofa is ready and I have my ;luck handy. Take heart, take heart (or play him in goal.)
  • ;hmm anyone know how Reid is doing
  • I don’t but I don’t expect to see him again this season. The photo of his knee twisting was a bit Pedroesque.
  • The picture on the OS under the Moyes article told a story. Noble appears to be either standing still or going backwards alongside Ki as he shoots.
  • No thorn. Unfortunately Nobes was still trying to arrive on the scene.
This discussion has been closed.