Unique Arsenal

My wife asked why Arsenal is unique in the current pemiereship. I had to check but she is right (I think). The only club in this years crop in the top flight that is not named after a town or place (City and United is a bit of poetic license)

Comments

• Didn't they start out as Woolwich Arsenal, and the just drop the Woolwich later on ;hmm
  • I think Woolwich arsenal was an army depot rather than a place. I may be wrong
  • Munitions workers at Woolwich formed the club which was subsequently called Royal Arsenal and then Woolwich Arsenal to reflect where they came from.
  • Spurs

Not named after a Town or a place.

Woolwich Arsenal was called Woolwich arsenal because it came from Woolwich Arsenal (a place).
  • I thought Tottenham was a place in Haringey. No matter. Fun while I thought about it
  • edited January 2018
    Weren't they voted into the top division rather than promoted on merit ;hmm
  • Arsenal, yes Expat that’s right.
  • I thought Tottenham was a place in Haringey. No matter. Fun while I thought about it

Of course, sorry.

7106A52D-7A75-404C-93A5-3AFEC9F90F72
  • The Arsenal part refers to the munitions depot which had its own railway station. It can loosely be called a place in the same way that Beckton Gasworks could be deemed a place.
  • But it is still called Woolwich Arsenal.
  • Checking my georgraphy Woolwich Arsenal is on the wrong side of the river...

So the Spuds actually have a point... ;nonono
  • Vorse, it's good innit ;lol
  • edited January 2018
    Arsenal were originally called Dial Square FC, formed by workers at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, Kent in 1886. They changed their name to "Royal Arsenal" the same year and then to "Woolwich Arsenal" in 1893. They moved to Highbury in 1913, were named "The Arsenal" from 1914 until 1919 when they dropped the "The".

Woolwich became part of the County of London in 1889
  • And for something else that is quite interesting:
    The earliest recorded use of West Ham, as distinct from East Ham, is in 1186 as Westhamma, which obviously has changed over the centuries to West Hammer/Hammer. ;biggrin
    So are we the supporters with the longest history?
    COYWH ;biggrin
  • edited January 2018
    Crystal Palace aren't named after a town or place. Before the Crystal Palace was relocated to Penge Common in 1854, there was no place known as Crystal Palace. They play their games in Selhurst. I am pretty certain that there isn't a place called Crystal Palace.
  • Preston

It is an area, rather than a specific town.
  • Is Everton a place?
  • Yes. I stayed there for a few weeks once.
  • What about Stoke, then? (Am I doing this right?)
  • shf

I think Stoke is a place, but not a football club.
  • Port Vale is a football club but not a place.
  • Happily Port Vale is not in the premiership ;lol
  • Yeah, that does throw a spanner in the works ;lol
  • NEoldiron said:

And for something else that is quite interesting:
    The earliest recorded use of West Ham, as distinct from East Ham, is in 1186 as Westhamma, which obviously has changed over the centuries to West Hammer/Hammer. ;biggrin
    COYWH ;biggrin

NEoldiron said:

And for something else that is quite interesting:
    COYWH ;biggrin

NE,

I can’t quite claim a connection going back that long, but during research into my family I found my Great Uncle Hubert has joined the Royal Navy at the age of 18 in 1895, looking through his service record showing ships he served on during his 12 years in the Royal Navy one particular ship HMS Magdala was built.......
    Wait for it.......
    By none other than Thames Iron Works & Ship Building Company ;biggrin when I found that bit of info. So i’d formerly like to claim family connections to West Ham United going back to our very beginnings er hem......
    I’ll get me coat..... ;yercoat
  • Not at all, I bestow bragging rights upon you ;bowdown
  • ;biggrin
    According to the West Ham badge
    We play in London
    That’s narrowed it down a bit
  • Crystal Palace aren't named after a town or place. Before the Crystal Palace was relocated to Penge Common in 1854, there was no place known as Crystal Palace. They play their games in Selhurst. I am pretty certain that there isn't a place called Crystal Palace.

Crystal Palace FC were formed in 1905 by workers who maintained the Crystal Palace Park football ground (now the site of the athletics stadium) which was the venue for FA Cup finals between 1895 and 1914. They moved out in 1915 when the Royal Navy took over Crystal Palace and had a few temporary homes until 1926 when they settled in Selhurst.

The area around the park is now known as Crystal Palace, when that became common usage is unclear but obviously post-1854.

While we're on the subject of changing place names until they built the Millennium Dome the area that is now known as North Greenwich was called Bugsby's Marsh