Noble's Comments on Fans

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/10801334/west-ham-captain-mark-noble-hits-back-at-fans-calling-for-him-to-be-dropped

Seen a lot of vitriol aimed Noble's way today for his criticism of fans. Think he's spot on, personally. Good on him for speaking out.

Comments

• Man under pressure imo.
  • 1 million percent right ;bowdown ;bowdown ;bowdown
  • IronHerb said:

Man under pressure imo.

It's not like he hasn't been under pressure before.
  • Never a wise move to question the knowledge/opinions of your own fans IMO
  • So "a lot of people don't understand the game".
    How patronising is that?
    ;hmm
  • Not very, imo.

I suspect there is a massive difference between playing at the elite level and watching it.
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

Man under pressure imo.

It's not like he hasn't been under pressure before.
    But he has generally had the backing of the fans but this time around there appears to be a wider feeling that he isn't playing as well as he did. Not a loss of form more the style he plays.
  • Noble often has a run of form after he has missed a couple of games. He is not playing particularly well, and there would be no harm in him sitting out for a short time.
  • edited March 2017
    IronHerb said:

But he has generally had the backing of the fans but this time around there appears to be a wider feeling that he isn't playing as well as he did.

I personally never interpret intensity of expressed outrage on twitter to be the same as 'wider feeling'.

Just my take on it ;ok
  • NEoldiron said:

So "a lot of people don't understand the game".
    How patronising is that?
    ;hmm

I took it to mean ' don't understand what it's like to play in the PL', rather than something like 'don't know the rules'.

I am fully prepared to acknowledge that he knows more about it than me - and don't feel patronised by his comments at all.

Just my personal view.
  • I don't why level of knowledge now is less than 10 / 20 / 30 years ago, most fans have never been professional if that is what gives you knowledge....

Unless this is prawn sandwich pop in which case I will just keep on eating my popcorn....
  • He can say what he wants. Just prove it on the pitch. So far i don't think he has this season.
  • edited March 2017
    MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

But he has generally had the backing of the fans but this time around there appears to be a wider feeling that he isn't playing as well as he did.

I personally never interpret intensity of expressed outrage on twitter to be the same as 'wider feeling'.

Just my take on it ;ok
    Fair enough but this is my take from attending matches.
  • vorse, maybe his point is (just speculating) that the actual experience of/pressure of playing in the PL has changed over the decades?
  • Personally think he's spot on. Possibly frustrated at some of the abuse he's received. He hasn't played as well as last season but there again nobody has
  • I agree 100%. My recent (last ten years or so) experience is that there are a lot of people who go to matches who don't have a clue what they're watching.

One example that springs to mind was a BFS match where the blokes behind me were giving Vaz Te serious abuse for not getting stuck in when it was obvious he'd been given the job of man marking the fullback. Or maybe they abused Vaz Te on a regular basis and I just hadn't been sat near them before.

Apart from the work thing one of the reasons I don't go to many matches any more is that I find it depressing to be surrounded by so many people who have so little understanding of the game. Maybe its somehow related to the rise of live football on TV, perhaps because that gives us the cameras view of proceedings rather than being able to look at the whole pitch.
  • edited March 2017
    Football fans are fickle.

Always have been, always will be.

I went to watch Pompey a couple of weekends ago. They lost 1-0 to Crewe. They were booed off at half-time (at 0-0) and even more so at full-time. On the walk home I heard countless calls for Paul Cook to be sacked.

Since then they have won 3-0, 4-0 and 4-0 and Paul Cook's the man to lead them into League One.

I agree to some extent with Noble, but although I've never played above Sunday League level it doesn't mean I don't understand the game. That said, it's a lot easier to see a pass or make a run from the stands or your sofa than it is when you're playing.
  • Well ASLEF you must have been unfortunate to always sit amongst these 'no nothings.'
  • Aslef sits in the away end... ;cool
  • ;quaver He sits where he wants
    He sits where he wants
    His name is ASLEF
    He sits where he wants ;quaver
  • I don't like it personally

Noble has been a fan favourite for years many referring to him as Mr West ham etc and he starts getting some critism and he attacks the fans.....where's the professionalism? He just sounds really bitter

There may be some fickle fans but hasn't everyone on this website dropped him for Leicester on that thread......do none of you understand the game

He's out of form and needs to be dropped, don't insult the fans because of it its on him to up his game, prove us wrong on the pitch not in the media

Saw he mentioned Rooney and Wenger, neither of those 2 are good enough for their teams anymore

If he came out and defended himself then no problem, say that he's struggled but he's devouted to the team still and wants to improve

But saying we don't understand the game because we like step overs, who's the guy we want him dropped for? Kouyate!! A guy who's more defensive and less likely to do stepovers

I'm not saying I'm angry or now hate Noble, but he needs to be dropped not because we don't understand the game and he hasn't done step overs but because he hasn't been performing for the last 8 months and we are losing points because of players who Slav is afraid to drop
  • I think the way the article is written makes you focus on "people don't understand" rather than what he actually said. If he had said "people don't understand the game" and that was it then yeah fine be annoyed. But he said "people don't understand the game, it's all about moments now". Which is true.

Lots of people consume football through other platforms now. Snapchat story highlights, Twitter moments tab, YouTube highlights, whatever. That's all based on snappy moments, which he doesn't have many of.

I totally agree with what he said, tbh. (Though I still want to go with Kouyate & Obiang against Leicester.)
  • Yea but that isn't the reason people want him to get dropped

He thinks people want to see stepovers and that stuff.....but it's normally him trying too hard to create a "moment" and making mistakes which is the reason people want him dropped
  • Ok, so I took at a little look at Noble's stats this season compared to last.

Fewer tackles attempted per game, smaller tackle success rate, fewer interceptions per game, lower % forward passes, fewer passes altogether, fewer chances created per game, fewer shots per game.

Greater pass accuracy (fairly negligible difference).

noble
  • Does anyone know/have a link to the full interview if it was broadcast?

I'd be keen to see his comments in context, and what the questions actually were that he was asked, rather than just what the journo reported.
  • I still love you Markie
  • I don't have an issue with what he said, he gets criticism all the time, why shouldn't he answer it.
  • edited March 2017
    He's probably read some of the twaddle in here ;lol
  • Alderz, where did you get those stats from, because they seem at odds with these
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats