Bucket list

2»

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I'm with you on that one bbb
    And my daughter is 19 ;ok
  • Ticked off one of mine, whilst i was in Germany i saw an Ice Hockey game Live :)
  • Crikey Eski-Sweden and Japan are not cheap!

If you look around you can get some really good deals.

This year i have (done Germany Jan) (Greece, Athens in March) (Germany again in July) (Iceland in November)

And all of that set me back at 750 Flights + Hotels, Granted all of these holidays are 5 days or less.

• Ticked off one of mine, whilst i was in Germany i saw an Ice Hockey game Live :)

Who did you watch?
  • edited January 2017
    eisbachen ? the polar bears or something was in the mercedes benz arena in Berlin
  • Eisbären. So it was even a top flight team. My brother used to play for the Solent Devils when he was doing his apprenticeship.
  • yeah they seemed like they are the Man United of the Ice Hockey league. They won like 8 titles since 2005 or something (judging by the banners they had with different years on them) but haven't won a title in 2 or 3 years now and are in the bottom half of the table last i looked.
  • Got to say that I enjoy ice hockey, as you can imagine it is huge here in Chicago. The speed and skill factor is astonishing.

Frankly, I enjoy any live sporting event but as for the game itself, of all the major sports here in the US, the one I struggle most with is basketball.

#hoopsarenotmything
  • Love 'em.

• Mrs G, bearing in mind the subject of this thread, is it your wish to eat all 3 flavours at once?
  • Got to say that I enjoy ice hockey, as you can imagine it is huge here in Chicago. The speed and skill factor is astonishing.

I come from an ice hockey town and every now and again one of my home town's youth players end up playing in the States. Only a few weeks ago one of hem signed for the Canadians de Montral and I remember Alexander Sulzer (he played for a variety of teams stateside) from the time he still went to school :)
  • At some point I am hoping to take up my globe trotting again once sonof is a bit more independent. I started off about 45 years ago building an alphabet, so far I have visited (many on more than one occasion - I have not included the names of islands that belong to some of those countries, e.g. Crete, Corfu, Lanzarote, Majorca, Magarita and others):

Austria, Argentina.
    Belgium, Belize, Bolivia.
    Cuba, Chile, Canada, Cyprus
    Denmark
    El Salvador
    France
    Greece, Germany, Guatemala
    Holland
    Italy, Ireland
    J-
    Kenya
    Lebanon
    Mexico
    Nicaragua, Norway
    O-
    Panama
    Q-
    Romania
    Switzerland, Spain
    Turkey
    USA
    Venezuela
    W-
    X-
    Y-
    Z-

Although Q and X might take some doing.........
  • Visited the Hindu Temple in Neasden recently - wasn't on my list but definitely should have been - Wow ! ( BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir )

Hoping to see starling murmuration again over Canterbury this evening - that's in the 'on repeat' section of my list

Golfing ticks - Watching Seve Ballesteros play (at the Belfry)
    - Playing Royal St George's in 2011 then watching The Open there.
    - First hole in one ( June 2016 ) having played 30 years !

Admeus - Qatar 2022 world cup ?

• edited January 2017
    Admeus, this is my list so far, although I don't think I'll be adding too much to it now:

Andorra, Austria, Argentina, Australia
    Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria
    Cuba, Canada, China
    Denmark, Dubai
    El Salvador, Egypt
    France, Finland
    Greece, Germany,
    Hong Kong, Hungary
    Italy, Ireland, Israel, Iran, India
    Lebanon, Liechtenstein
    Malta, Mexico, Maldives, Malaysia
    Norway, Netherlands
    Poland, Portugal (+Madeira)
    Q-
    Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Singapore, Scotland ;-)
    Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey
    USA
    V-
    Wales ;-)
    Yugoslavia (Croatia)
    Z-
  • Haven't done Ireland or Northern Ireland (keep saying i need to go to them both)
  • You could have a day trip. ;wahoo
  • Yeold: Wales & Ireland in a day, just take the ferry from Pembroke to Rosslaire.
    and Admeus: Z - Zimbabwe. It's in a mess, but you could see Victoria Falls (which is on my bucket list) I'm curious about Saudi - a work permit or visit to Mecca? I tried to get my daughter on a week's visit when I worked there. It took 5 months before I gave up.
  • AdMe/NE oldiron ;bowdown respect! All those countries visited! Each one with a memory or two I bet? I'd love to visit Japan personally.
  • Hants, they were pilots. ;biggrin
  • edited January 2017
    Ok here goes

Austria, Australia
    Belgium, Bulgaria
    Canada, Czechoslovakia
    Denmark, Dutch Antillies
    France
    Greece, Germany, Grenada
    Ireland
    Mexico, Maldives, Mauritius, Majorca
    New Zealand
    Portugal
    Switzerland, Scotland
    USA
    Wales

Not a bad effort, am very aware that I have never been to the Far East and more surprisingly Italy, must put that right one day ;ok
  • Brother Sledge ;ok good point - think I might just have to consider that one - how goes things.

KH - did consider Zimbabwe but possibly in a few years when things improve. Fortunately for a few of those countries (particularly some of the South American ones) I had an official 'Back Door' access.

Herb, unfortunately not, looking at NE's list I suspect he has a similar background to me for some of those visits. Whilst a few of the destinations (Mainly European) have been long weekends and one - three week holidays, a lot of the others have been work related visit of 4 - 8 weeks, in some cases 3 or more months and in others 6 or more months. Although there was a lot of 'play' time involved, I used to crew yachts at one time sailed from the Caribbean up to Cancun in 1982 and back again, and as I had an interest (still do) in natural history I would often find myself studying the environment and ecology of the places I visited, particularly South America, not to mention the night sky without the light pollution. I count myself extremely lucky to have experience a lot of things that others have not and probably never will.

Hants, you're not wrong - wifeof keeps telling me to write a book about my 'Adventures'.