Best ever player

With Johann Cruyffs untimely passing today it got me to thinking who are the top ten all time players in your opinion? Some we may not have seen but are acknowledged as true greats.
My choice in no order (which will undoubtedly change when I remember others!):

1. Pele
2. Di Stefano
3. Messi
4. Maradona (as much as I don't like him!)
5. Cruyff
6. Moore
7. Beckenbauer
8. Eusebio
9. Best
10. Charlton

Also rans: Puskas, Beckham, Ronaldo

Yours?

Comments

• Not sure I would put Clyde Best in the top ten ;wink
  • It's a tough one, think it would be easier to categorise.
  • Very tough, I like the list above but feel that Dennis Bergkamp would be in my top ten somewhere
  • and for me not beckham either imo was given over fifty caps to many and certainly imo especially the last twenty odd
  • based on players I've seen play.

Messi
    Maradona
    Zidane
    Ronaldo 9
    Ronaldo 7
    Van Basten
    Maldini
    Ronaldinho
    Henry
    Weah
  • Not sure I would put Clyde Best in the top ten ;wink

;lol Made me larf Trev - Clyde just missed out! Was a good servant for our club tho.
  • Do you remember when Clyde took ballet lessons to improve his balance - now that was funny ;lol
  • I watched him score at the Boleyn against Man Utd, the best goal of the game. Unfortunately we lost 6-1 (sometime around 1969)
  • edited March 2016
    I would put Messi first and Ronaldo second tbh, and I dont really think Charlton would make the cut
  • Swiss - our 6-1 loss at home to Man U was back in May 1967, two years before Clyde Best joined. John Charles scored our goal.
  • ah so, thanks! I was 10..
  • There is no way Beckham should be anywhere near this list. Even he himself would be honest enough to admit that
  • Messi for me, the best ever IMO ;ok
  • Messi the best of his generation

Cruyff the best of his.

I don't feel you can compare players of different generations.
  • Bergkamp
    Muller
    Pele
    Messi

Not in order but its the closest I'm going to get
  • Slightly off topic but C&H have a 2 minute trailer of the new "Bo66y" film. It made my eyes water. I'm not sure I would survive the entire film. ;weep
  • I admit this is difficult to do, the idea was just to come up with 10 players of all time. Just a bit of fun.
    For me Beckham, Ronaldo and Puskas didn't make my top ten and as I said they are in no order.
  • Messi no never
    You need to think of a player who has played all round the world !
  • In my very humble opinion; Beckham is number one..........in the league of players (with whom I am very familiar) who, through effort and application, made the most of his 'natural' talent. That talent, compared to some, was limited, but boy did he squeeze every ounce out of it.
  • In my view when assessing such a question I look for those players who make a team considerably better by themselves (a bit like Payet has done for us this season), and then you look at those who have done the very same thing at the highest level for club and country, and so for me it would be today (probably different if you asked me next week)

Maradona
    Messi

with the others behind
  • Moore
    Moore and even Moore
  • Repka.
    Because I like players who are committed to the cause.
  • Hainault, in that case it would have to be Billy Bonds.

• Repka.
    Because I like players who are need to be committed to the cause an institution.

Fixed it for ya! ;wink
  • Everything considered I would have to pick Ronaldo 7.
  • Maybe this would be easier if you did it in eras - to 1970, Pele, Charlton & Beckenbauer, with any other Brazilian from the 70 team. Then the Cruyff Maradonna Muller era. Since 2000, Zidane Messi Ronaldo7. And a Dutch player to round it all off, probably one of the AC Milan trio. Maybe.
  • A Dutchman like Bergkamp perhaps ;wink
  • Austin - I agree, maybe slightly off topic, but if this was about the nicest player I have met, then Beckham would top my list.

I had the good fortune to be up graded to Virgin Upper class on a trip to New York, Beckham was on the flight and he was simply a really nice guy to talk to, Brooklyn was just a toddler and although he was looking after him, he found time to speak to all who wanted to chat to him without any airs and graces whatsoever.

He went up a load of notches in my book after that flight