West Ham v Bournemouth - New Years Day 2020 (ko 5:30) - Match thread

edited December 2019 in Match Threads
I thought as our new manager has been confirmed, welcome back David Moyes, I’d start the match thread.

Both teams come into this game in terrible form, desperately needing a win.

Bournemouth LDLWL
West Ham LLWLL

Howe with a crushing injury list. Moyes needing to hit the ground running.

How with both men set up?

Will Moyes (as rumour has it) organise the team to avoid defeat or will he go for the win.

:scarf:

Comments

• Not everyone's cup of tea but I hope he gets a warm welcome. I reckon he can steer us to a scrappy and nervous 1-0 win
  • edited December 2019
    He seemed to settle on the following side at the end of his tenure with us...

Adrian
    Rice - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Noble - Kouyate - Masuaku
    Mario - Lanzini
    Arnautovic

What can we expect from Moyes with the current side?

Fabianski
    Balbuena/Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Noble - Rice - Masuaku
    Lanzini - Fornals/Anderson
    Haller/Antonio
  • edited December 2019
    Hope he gets an amazing start. Sounds like there might be a bit if a frosty atmosphere at the game. Hopefully if we put on a good performance all will be forgotten. Loss.
  • It would be a bold move to go 3 at the back as the players have never played that under Pelle but we need a re-boot and good luck to him if he tries it. Not sure he would play both Lanzini and Anderson behind the striker - both are playing within themselves but Lanzini seems so lightweight at the moment. Fornals and Anderson could be more likely.
    3-1
  • If Moyes goes for 3-4-3 (or 3-5-2) formation.

Fabianski
    Balbuena - Diop - Ogbonna
    Fredericks - Rice - Fornals - Masuaku
    Anderson
    Haller - Antonio

I would like a to see Holland and Coventry on the bench rather than Sanchez.
    Anderson showed a 10-15 glimpse of the old self. Lanzini is a long way off for fitness and form. Moyes will have to run the rule over Ajeti. so far he has not impressed, which could also be said for a lot of other players.
  • Penge, I like the look of that side and formation a lot. That could be Anderson's best position and I prefer Fornals in centre with Rice than Noble, sadly. With Noble on the bench there should be no need for Sanchez at all.
  • I don't think Fornals is strong enough or got the mentality to play Noble's position. I'd fear we'd be a bit lightweight in the middle. Snodgrass would be better, I think. Otherwise, I'd like Penge's team. Maybe with Diop on the right of the back three as he's got more pace to pick up runs down the side and I think Balbuena's more commanding.
  • For me, if there is a back three it needs to be Cresswell on the left hand side. Masuaku is a liability, even at wing back, and having a natural fullback behind him offers a bit more solidity. I like Ogbonna, but his lack of concentration has a habit of letting him down.

I also agree with Outcast (I usually do) that Diop should be on the right. His pace would help to cover across, and when I look at what Sheffield United are doing with their wide centre backs pushing forward on the overlap, I think that would really suit Diop a lot.

By playing with the fast wingbacks we immediately address some of the pace issues in the side, without worrying about their defensive lapses.

Fabianski
    Diop - Balbuena/Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Rice - Noble - Masuaku
    Anderson / Fornals / Lanzini
    Antonio - Haller

OR

Fabianski
    Diop - Balbuena/Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Rice - Noble - Masuaku
    Anderson - Antonio
    Haller

I think Fornals has the potential to be Noble's long term replacement. I like him and I think he's been starting to improve recently. I can see Moyes really liking him and his workrate.
  • If playing a three at the back then surely it's Diop, Balbuena and Ogbonna.
  • Didn't Cresswell play in a back three under Moyes before? And do quite well? I agree with that actually. I think a back three also brings out Ogbonna's bad side where he gets the ball and is magnetically pulled towards the byline until he runs out of room and panic-hoofs it.
  • Let’s hope our misfiring playing personnel see this as a great opportunity to impress their new boss.

Home win
  • Can we get Antonio to play in his snowman outfit? If he can bring down a house dressed like that, he'll surely flatten their defence.

• If that was the state of my bedroom as a lad my mum would go crazy!
  • McHammer said:

If that was the state of my bedroom as a lad my mum would go crazy!

Your mum didn't like you having men dressed as snowmen in your bedroom?
  • If she saw Antonio dressed as a snowman in your bedroom, she would think she was going crazy.
  • Lawro and Nicholas were both going for a home win :wahoo:
  • Callum Wilson hasn't scored in 12 games and we all know what that means :goal:
  • Callum Wilson hasn't scored in 12 games and we all know what that means :goal:

So who was the last team he scored against I wonder :weep:
  • Youre safe, I brought him into my cheap team last GW :ok:

He's played us 7 times and scored 7 goals so I wouldn't bet against it.

This could get confusing, Bournemouth have two players named Cook (Steve and Lewis) and two named Wilson (Callum and Harry).
  • Too many cooks...... :biggrin:
  • edited January 2020
    Just so you know folks, this game has now been scheduled to be screened live by BT Sport. Coverage starts at 17:15 on BT Sport 2.
  • Hope moyes does well, unfortunately I think he’s gonna to get a frosty reception and the owners could start to see real protest soon, if he gets off to a win that will set him on a better path, however they need a result and are struggling as well, we all know what that usually means in our WHUFC world

Creswell in a back 3 worked okay last time any back 3 with WB’s will do for me
  • Villa leading so we are currently bottom three
  • Don’t forget our two games in hand Thorn..
  • Whitehorse I count it as one, today’s, because I doubt we will get much out of Liverpool.
  • You said that last season and we drew. So quick to write us off.
  • Whitehorse I count it as one, today’s, because I doubt we will get much out of Liverpool.

What with the messiah in charge, please fetch the soap :lol:

IronHerb said:

You said that last season and we drew. So quick to write us off.

IMO Thornburyiron was being realistic IH, & if you read his words he at least said I doubt, not sure you can argue with that statement IMO, even if we got a point last season, this season Liverpool sadly are playing some fantastic football. :ok:
This discussion has been closed.