West Ham vs Crystal Palace, 17.30, Saturday, 5th Oct

1234568»

Comments

• edited October 2019
    Just back from the game, and thanks very much South Western Railways for the additional stress of being ..... errrmmmmm well, drinkies in a brewery springs to mind for your replacement bus non existent service.

So frustrating, in real time it looked as though the keeper just happened to be in the way for three or four of our shots, and on another day we would have romped it. And against that lot I would have loved it.

Should we have had a penalty near the end, it did appear that Haller was shoved out of the way in the box but boy blunder didn't give it. Were we not denied a blatant penalty earlier this season because the VAR man said nothing. Maybe VAR is a good thing, but just like dodgy-decisions.co.uk before VAR, certainly not for West Ham.

However, a great day out with the wombat and a couple of nice beers to boot.

Oh Wombat, I'm having the Rioja :biggrin:
  • Not posted in a long time but that was awful. Rice! What are you even thinking??? What positive substitutions did we make? Lacklustre performance when we could've gone 3rd in the league.

We missed a couple of good chances in the first half but other than Hallers goal we created next to nothing, Lanzini was a passenger.

We need to give Ajeti a chance along side Haller. We have no options striker wise when Haller is tired or like today on a yellow so scared to challenge.
  • Lanzini may have been a passenger but Anderson was beyond abysmal today. He's been woeful since the Norwich game.
  • I don’t think palace created anything from open play we missed our chances then got mugged at the end
  • edited October 2019
    Palace were fortunate but I always think, as the home side, if you don’t seize the initiative in the game then you deserve what you get. A 1-1 draw would have been a fair result but, like last week, we were on the wrong end of a borderline offside call.

The penalty was the key moment. I think, having got 1-0 up, had that not happened we would have gone on to win that 2-0. It was unfortunate for Rice but he has to realise he can’t have his arm up there in the box. You are asking for trouble.

We didn’t go on after that 1-0 moment to really dictate the game & that is what you have to start doing if you have any ambitions of being a top six side. Having said that, we still could have scored 3 goals on another day.

Hopefully we can bounce back. It’s not disastrous & we have still made a good start but that was a disappointing moment when, yet again, we had a chance to jump to a high league place & we blew it.

There’s also not a lot off the bench at the moment. Their bench was better than ours. Really it’s Wilshere & Ajeti. Pretty much it.
  • Can we recall Diangana?
  • I agree that the bench is a big problem - OK for shoring up a game we are winning but useless for turning a match we are losing. No Antonio and no Diangana means no pace or direct running when we might need it. We must spend in the transfer window on a couple of speedy wide players to influence games late on, or we're doomed to mid/lower table mediocrity yet again.
  • I know it’s disappointing, but we’ve lost 2 games out of 7. I don’t know why people think that we’re doomed to anything just yet?
  • We’ve lost 7 points from winning positions this season. The second worst and we’ve played average teams.

Apart from Liverpool and City everyone is average.
  • Apart from Liverpool and City everyone is average.
    Make that just Liverpool...

• Nah! City ain't average.
  • Palace at home to Manchester City next, the last time Pep’s team lost, at Norwich, they scored 8 in their next match.
  • I blame Lawro
  • :pray:

Palace at home to Manchester City next, the last time Pep’s team lost, at Norwich, they scored 8 in their next match.

• Palace at home to Manchester City next, the last time Pep’s team lost, at Norwich, they scored 8 in their next match.

Spoke too soon.
  • I like a Diangana but imo he's not an impact sub.

If we think he can make a difference from the start, fair enough. Play him.

But not much use imo having him to come on late in the game.
  • I must admit, I was well annoyed at full time. We should have been out of sight by half time. Our attackers not clinical with finishing. As PLF said they mugged us at the end. The coach/players should know by now, no game is given, you have to merit the 3 points. Some of our players seemed off the pace IMO
    Also agree we are missing Antonio's presence and pace.
    Still a long way to go yet.
    COYI

• The discussion about VAR has been moved to the VAR thread here, http://www.whu606.com/discussion/10908/all-about-rules-changes-enforcement-var-etc so that it wont be lost when the Palace match thread disappears/is closed.
This discussion has been closed.