Chelsea (H) - 23 Sept 18 1:30pm ko - Match Thread

Comments

• Excellent defensive performance first clean sheet well organised so all in all well happy
  • Rice is so important right now.
  • The players put in a shift, the defence looks better and overall I am happy.
  • I am quite happy with that point. At times we might have nicked it, but a point against the chavs after our first few horrible games is like a win. ;ok
  • Sourness saying West Ham looking like a good well organised team who will get results
  • A very good point IMO against a top team who had a 100% record till today.
    Yarmie could/should have scored but Fabianski pulled off a few great saves.
    Happy with that point, and performance..
  • ;ok very happy with that I never ask for more then to put in a shift and everyone did today ;ok
  • Even if Yarnie had scored with that header, you know Chelski would have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at our goal. A bit like stupifying a wasps nest to make them sleepy, rather than poking the nest with a stick. Our goal would have had the same result ;wink
  • this was down to suze starting the thread :) happy happy joy joy
  • could have walked home with 3 points if those sitters weren't missed. Defence is at least finding some cohesion
  • Like last week it's good seeing that we are showing a backbone,could've easily fell away at the end and come away with nothing

Great performance overall and I am really enjoying the balance we have atm,looks so much better than our first few games
  • We actually looked half decent today at the back, for the first time this season

The side just needed a bit of time, now results are starting to come

Irons
  • On my way home from the game.

A really well earned point.

Rice ;bowdown
  • this was down to suze starting the thread :) happy happy joy joy

;wahoo
  • I’m not doing the cup match thread.

Someone else will need to do that.
  • Always thought it would take a bit of time for players to get used to new system/ team mates but think we’re beginning to see that now two new centre backs today were a lot better and a lot closer to each other, zab for me was as he’s been since he joined us Mr Consistent might not have the legs but there to snuff the threats out, didn’t go today but from what I hear the crowd played there part too, so another point and we move on think we can also get something out of united away COYI
  • Rice ;carew
  • edited September 2018
    We play Man U at home btw
  • Man U are beatable, no doubt.

But Man U have Lukaku, so we'll need to score at least twice.

Today proved that we can create chances against the big teams. We just really need Arnautovic on the end of them to finish them.

Rice, Obiang and Noble all had good games again. Balbuena and Diop are looking stronger. It looks like we're finally heading in the right direction; just wish we had Cardiff and Huddersfield up next.
  • I’m not doing the cup match thread.

Someone else will need to do that.

Press announcement. We are resting Suz for the cup match to make sure she is fully fit for the next crucial league game.
  • SuzarnieClaret?
  • Adam needs to keep his cup run going.
  • Good hard fought point. We could have nicked it with Yarmo's header but that would have been daylight robbery, not that I would have minded.
    The result was better because Arnie wasn't playing. We musn't become too reliant on individual players.
    Rice was once again outstanding, we have a player on our hands imo.
    All in all a good day with progress being made.

COYI
  • IronHerb said:

Rice was once again outstanding, we have a player on our hands imo.

Which makes it all the more frustrating that we haven't tied him down to a longer contract. He is the one we need to build this team around IMO, but the longer we go without getting the deal done the greater the risk of him going elsewhere.

Future England midfielder (honestly think that if he was going to commit to ROI he'd have done so by now) and one that I would hate to lose, particularly if it's because the club didn't do enough to keep him.
  • Has he been offered an extension?
  • There was me continually banging on about signing a quality CDM when we appear to have one already in the club, could have saved our money on Sanchez. ;whistle
  • "Two good games does not a swallow make". Or something like that. One of Aristotle's, I believe.

Rice played well last week and this, but let's not go overboard quite yet.
  • Just back from the game, like I said last week, Rice needs a new contract......,,,,NOW
  • He played well for alot of last season. Not just two games.
  • edited September 2018
    Chelsea certainly looked a classy side & I would still tip them for the title.

We were solid, structured, but did it without just camping in our box or lumping it long. We kept the high line & passed our way out of danger when we could. Thought Noble was outstanding (my MOTM), plus Rice. Obiang really gives us a nice balance.

Balbuena was much better today. Looked like a decent CB. I like his aggressive approach to defending where he gets tight quickly but he will always be susceptible to being beaten if the player he tries to get tight to flicks it to a team-mate first time or moves it past him. But him & Diop really did look good. 2 goals in 3 games conceded compared to 9 in the first 3. Playing up against Hazard is no easy task.

Fair play to Antonio. When he was in the game he put in a shift, shame he couldn't convert that chance. Still feel he ambles about a bit when we are not in possession.

Anderson gives us an 'X' factor but can see him being a marmite player. Personally I'm in the 'love' camp at the moment. Think he has real class. Yarmo looked much fitter too, & uses the ball so well. What a shame he didn't bury that header.

Full marks to Zabaleta. He has played very well the last two weeks despite his lack of pace. Masuaku too has looked a real decent LB.

Fabianksi; what a top keeper. Sweeps up, comes for crosses & does nothing for long periods before making a top save.

Agree with Herb that, despite the three chances, a draw was more than fair as after 25 mins it looked like Chelsea would cut through us any moment. I think Arnie was the difference between 1 point & 3 but we did well to look dangerous still without him. Good to see Pelle & the players disappointed we missed out on 3, which is the right mentality.
This discussion has been closed.