Burnley at home - 10th March - Match Thread

Comments

• What do you mean easy enough to blame the keepers? So they cant be at fault because it's always a defensive error?
    I'm not saying the defence is playing well but Adrian also has to shoulder some of the blame.
  • We really need a good defensive midfielder
    I can think of a couple off the top of my head..... ;whistle
  • IH, thats not the point im trying to make

The goalkeepers can deffo be at fault and often are, but it's not them that are the sole problem imo, there is a far more crucial problem within the outfield team that hasn't been fixed since Bilic but the solution on here seems to be is if a keeper has a few bad games, drop them. It happened with Hart and Adrian and last year with Randolph

But while neither are perfect I don't think they aren't the worst keepers in the league, but our defence is...even though we have an extra defender then most team by playing with a back 5

Can't just keep dropping keepers every couple games, thats not a long term solution

Start trying to reduce the shots they have to come up against
  • Welovethehammers

Just coming back on the point on Hart

So it’s ok to drop him to the bench when he conceded lots of goals, yet Adrian is exempt if he does likewise??

That all sounds a bit inconsistent and non-meritocratic to me... ;hmm

The difference is, Hart has made mistake after mistake in the last few years (some being howlers). It's not even a one off. Adrian's form has dropped in the last 2-3 games but on the whole shows more consistency than Hart. Ths goals he has conceded he may should have done better with but they still aren't what I consider "a howler". The only thing Hart is consistent at is making mistakes. I feel that playing Hart means we are at a disadvantage from the word go.... it's basically sacrificing a goal.
  • I don't understand some people saying we really need a win but then just put Arnautovic up top by himself. It's got to be 3 4 1 2

Hart
    Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
    Zabaleta Noble Mario Antonio
    Lanzini
    Arnautovic Hernandez

If we need to chase the game then we can always bring on Hugill for Hernandez, or Kouyate for Mario or Byram for Zabaleta.
  • Zabaleta "we must train and play at maximum intensity to beat Burnley". Why don't they keep their mouths shut because every time we get these sound bites, come the game we get the exact opposite.
    Try walking the walk and stop talking the talk.
  • We had the same discussion of injuries going on in 2 places, so I've shifted the ones from here to join the others in the Injury thread ;ok

http://www.whu606.com/discussion/9821/latest-injury-and-recovery-news
  • Burnley are a tall and physical side. Our defending at set-pieces has been abysmal and we will need height to counter Woods. I don't think Hernandez will be able to do defensive duties. Depending on player fitness and availability I think the starting eleven should be

Adrian
    Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
    Zabaleta Noble Mario Antonio
    Lanzini
    Arnautovic Hugill

Of course, Mr. Moyes may have different ideas. Come on you Irons!!
  • I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s game. My first home match this season due to ill health. I’m wanting a substantial victory, a ribman roll and putting a few quid in Isla’s fund. I may possibly have a glass of sweet sherry as well. Or possibly two. coyi coyi ;scarf
  • I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s game. My first home match this season due to ill health. I’m wanting a substantial victory, a ribman roll and putting a few quid in Isla’s fund. I may possibly have a glass of sweet sherry as well. Or possibly two. coyi coyi ;scarf

Great to see the improvement in Isla.
  • I’m going to sit this one out. Lost a bit of interest since the Liverpool and Swansea games. Catch up with the gardening, and maybe take the yacht out for a cruise.
  • Moyes has apparently confirmed Hart is starting this one, and Ex says five changes in total from the Swansea debacle.
  • Probably hart Collins Antonio ogbonna and Mario
  • And if we win I don’t care who plays could have gold up front if it meant we scored one more than them
  • They're the only team I can remember us being 5 up against and then having to hang on ;lol. Repeat would do nicely as long as the result is the same.
  • Match day ;wahoo

Start Antonio ;pray

3 points please coyi coyi coyi
  • Moyes has apparently confirmed Hart is starting this one,

;ok In yesterday's presser. Reported on the beeb and elsewhere.
  • While it's the mangers decision who starts and who doesn't , I personally don't like him making it public the day before ( Hart )...
    It's just my opinion tho, however I don't also agree starting Hart, but hope he plays a blinder ;scarf
  • We just need to be any good.

Everton were hopeless against them last time out, but that was their first win in 12 PL games, and only the 2nd time they'd scored 2 goals in the last 10 games.

None of that will matter if we play like we did against Swansea, but if we put in a 'Watford' performance we will be fine.
  • Have a great day Wombat. Fingers crossed for a decent game. ;champagne ;scarf
  • So probably:

Hart
    Collins - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Zabaleta - Noble - Kouyate - Mario - Antonio
    Lanzini
    Arnautovic
  • I think Evra will start, Luke.
  • At home I think he’ll start with Antonio. Evra’s not done much wrong, but we’ve been awful since he’s been in the side and part of that is lacking a ball carrying wingback.
  • Ex saying 5 changes so Hart, Ginge, Oggy, Antonio +1. I think you may have it there Lukerz.
  • MrsGrey said:

I think Evra will start, Luke.

We certainly don’t need 5 defenders at home to Burnley. They base their entire game around clean sheets and pinching one or two goals from the patches of play they have. Arguably going with no official striker is dodgy enough.
  • I know I have championed a back three in the past, but our current lack of centre halves and a total lack of a couple of "natural wingbacks", I.E. young fit players who can get up and down the line, I wonder if Moyes will revert to a back four. I wouldn`t be averse to seeing something like this

................................Hart................................
    Zab...............Collins..........Oggy.........Cress....
    .............Kouyate.......Noble......Mario...............
    .....Antonio..............Arnie..........Lanzini...........

This does leave out Hernandez, which I`m not too keen on doing, so I`m wondering if Lanzini drops into midfield in place of Kouyate, which would give us a technically decent midfield who should be able to string the odd pass together, and play a front three of:

............Antonio............Hernandez............Arnie................

In fact I prefer this. Kouyate dropped. ;ok ;scarf
  • I`m keen on giving Hugill a chance, to freshen things up, but I just can`t see Moyes risking it, I think we will see the above 11/12 players in some sort of line up.
  • Big mistake putting Hart back in. ;hmm have England got a game soon ,just putting it out there ;whistle
  • just a simple please let it be a good day to be a Hammer coyi
  • steve

Can't think Moyes would be that fussed about doing England any favours.
This discussion has been closed.