Watford vs West Ham United - 19.11.17 - Match Thread

Comments

• Not sure how much of a promotion it is. I mean, Martinez has trained with the first team before. I hope that Moyes isn't just using him as a pawn to get the fans on side (although if he has, it appears to have worked), and I guess we'll find out once the squad is announced for Watford.

As for Anang, have we actually signed him? I saw his name in the summer but I don't remember seeing anything official. If the report is correct and he has work permit issues then I guess we can't actually register him until they're sorted ;hmm

On the Moyes's first training session video I believe I saw Josh Pask with the first team. May be wrong though.

Having watched the U23's play live a few times this season I think Pask is one of our biggest prospects. I think with the youth team they fall under 3 categories:
    - Potential and ready for the first team
    - Potental to be good but not yet ready
    - Not good enough and simply there to make up the numbers (sadly that's what happens in youth football)

As well as Pask, Holland has great potential and great dribbling but looks a bit lightweight, defensive positioning can be a bit off and tires pretty quickly. Having said that he will do well but he needs to stop cutting inside at every opportunity like Arjen Robben (it gets predictable). Martinez is a great goal scorer in that division but it's easier to score there. However he needs to improve his all around game - he needs to bully defences more, link others into the game better and is quite slow. He looks a beast for his size in youth team but up against Ryan Shawcross he isn't going to look like a beast. Haksabanovic (spelling) has moments of brilliance and is a speed merchant but is a bit hot and cold, inconsistent and can go missing in games at certain times - but when he is involved he is great to watch. Anang isn't ready yet.
  • I know it’s off the thread but does local still post on here not been on for a while due to family illness issues
  • No, he doesn't.
  • Ok thanks suze
  • Cuz1 said:

I know it’s off the thread but does local still post on here not been on for a while due to family illness issues

Were you an old member who has returned? Are you a phoenix?
  • Yes old member who returned stopped because all my time was taken up visiting care homes and hospitals when my 89 year old Notts county mum had a major stroke, thankfully she ok now ish was just enquiringly to see who was still on here posting
  • I don't think we need to be playing Martinez in the first team at the moment. Ayew is on fire and needs a more solid DM that will help us to keep the ball and move it forward to Lanzini and Ayew more quickly. Chicharito is a world-class finisher who needs service. Sakho has shown that if fit he will score. And AC is a beast when on his game and given the right service. Strikers not a big problem at the moment.
  • I’d agree from the games I’ve seen we seem as a defensive unit to be playing hide and seek
  • I think Moyes first questions to resolve are: i) how to get the team running their socks off from the first whistle to the end; ii) formation - 3 at the back or flat-back 4; one striker or two?; iii) selection for CM and CB.
  • I'm pleased to hear your mum is doing better Cuz ;ok
  • Thanks alderz, think was a big pick me up when Nolan the chairman and a few first teamers agreed to go round with a lovely card and signed shirt to meet her she loved it
  • Moyes has almost always played a back 4, mostly 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but occasionally 4-4-2.
  • I think he's made a good start on my question i) above - he's already made it clear that the players will have to train harder and run more to get selected.
  • Chicharito has come off injured tonight for Mexico. Hamstring or groin by the looks of it.
  • AC and Sakho against Watford. They don't like it upem!
  • We need to send a mascot to hit Troy Deneey on the bench and see if he's up for the fight.
  • Don't think Deeney will be on the bench as he's suspended.
  • Deeney is suspended for three matches (Everton, West Ham, Newcastle), Andre Gray replaced him vs Everton.
  • We need to send a mascot to hit him anyway.
  • Sakho scored again for Senegal and was involved in their second goal. Like Ayew, he's on fire and needs to start. Hopefully his reintegration into the team will be a huge silver lining to Bilic's departure. If Chicharito is unfit, I would be tempted to play 4-3-3 with Lanzini-Sakho-Ayew up front and Antonio to come on later. Put Rice in midfield with Kouyate and Obiang and see if that midfield three is strong enough to allow us to play four at the back.

Lanzini-Sakho-Ayew
    Obiang-Rice-Kouyate
    Cresswell-Ogbonna-Reid/Collins-Zaba
    Adrian

Though I'm guessing Moyes will feel he needs to start Noble and then take him out if his performance warrants it, just for the sake of the manager-captain relationship.

Sakho
    Lanzini
    Ayew-Obiang-Kouyate
    Masuaku-Ogbonna-Rice/Collins-Reid/Rice-Zaba
    Adrian

Reid may also need extra recovery time after his globetrotting for New Zealand and I don't know about Collins' fitness. If neither can start, then I'd probably go with the 4-3-3- with Rice moved to CB and Nobes coming into midfield.
  • Moyes has played a back four 99.9% of the time so I don't think we'll see three/five at the back against Watford
  • I don’t think that matters. 5 at the back is much more in vogue in the PL now. A lot of managers use it who didn’t before.
  • edited November 2017
    I think he will look at the players available to him and work out which system will work best. In fact he said as much in his presser.

Should have said in previous post that the second formation would be how I'd go with three at the back. But it just doesn't allow us to make the most of the creative players in form. On the other hand, it has made us more solid at the back. I just wonder if putting Rice at the base of the midfield three would allow us to play four at the back. New manager needs to explore various options. And will also need to take into account injuries at CB.
  • Arsenal, Stoke and Chelsea have consistently played with three at the back

Man City, Liverpool. Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle, Leicester and Saints have consistently played with four at the back

Spurs switched from four to three halfway through September. Palace started with three under De Boer and have switched to four under Hodgson. Watford played with four except against Arsenal and Chelsea

Man U, Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Everton and us have switched between the two

You can tell when I've got nothing to do.......
  • I'm a bit apprehensive at the prospect of several more games with changing formations and line-ups while he discovers his preferred/best system.
  • Moyes tried three at the back eight times while at Sunderland but reverted to four from December onwards, at Real Sociedad he played four at the back every game

And now I've got to go drive a train.......
  • I'm quietly confident about this one - probably the first time I've said that this season
  • I don't know about quietly confident but am no longer absolutely terrified, which is a move in the right direction.
  • Chicharito back in training which is surprisingly good news.
This discussion has been closed.