Brighton (Home) Friday 20th 8pm (match thread)

Comments

• For me there is only 1 selection I'm debating and that's either to go with twists 442 or swap sakho for Kouyate and push Lanzini into a #10 position which should also allow Antonio and Arnautovic a bit more attacking freedom

Either formation I'd be happy with
  • Martin Atkinson's been appointed ref for this one.
  • Slav needs 6 points from this game and Palace imo. Said he would need 10 points from Swansea / Burnley / Brighton / Palace to get us back on track.
  • Yeold

We definitely need 6 points, looking at our fixtures after that:

Liverpool (h)
    Watford (a)
    Leicester (h)
    Everton (a)
    Man City (a)
    Chelsea (h)
    Arsenal (h)
    Stoke (a)

That takes us up to the 16th December.

I can easily see us having less than a point a game by the 16th Dec, possibly being in the relegation zone.

If we get 3 points from our next 2 games, we will need 7 points from those following 8 games, just to stay at a point a game.
  • Just noticed Grey posted a new thread with similar content a minute after my posting!
  • Time to put a marker down. 3-0 against the Seagulls would be just fine. ;scarf
  • Early reports that Chicharito pulled up with injury during training on Tuesday and waiting for scan results...
  • edited October 2017
    Well it was due.

If it is true, will we see SB revert to 4-2-3-1 ;hmm

Hart
    Zaba Fonte Reid Cresswell
    Obiang Kouyate
    Antonio Lanzini Arnautovic
    Sakho

Adrian, Masuaku, Ogbonna, Noble, Fernandes, Ayew, Martinez

Would be my guess.
  • I feel like there's a rumour every week that he's injured...
  • Early reports that Chicharito pulled up with injury during training on Tuesday and waiting for scan results...

He probably pulled a muscle practising his slow walk off the field when being subbed. ;biggrin
  • IronHerb said:

Early reports that Chicharito pulled up with injury during training on Tuesday and waiting for scan results...

He probably pulled a muscle practising his slow walk off the field when being subbed. ;biggrin
    Strained his neck while shaking it
  • Confirmed by Sky Sports, he had a scan on Tuesday and they're waiting for the results.
  • ;hmm If it was serious enough to need a scan, that suggests it's going to keep him out for a while....
  • Martinez to make the bench maybe ?
  • Ex on twitter has said he is due to train today to test the extent of his njury. ;hmm
  • Seeing as we are at home against lower mid table opposition and it was working well up until the sending off I would have stuck with the 442.
    However, if Chicharito is out I would go for:

---------Hart---------
    Zab--Fonte--Reid--Masuaku
    ----Obiang--Kouyate----
    --Ant---Lanzini---Arnie--
    --------Sakho---------

Adrian, Oggy, Byram, Cress, Noble, Ayew, Martinez

In general I would say Cress was the better LB and Masu the better LWB/LM, but Masu has looked in form when played recently and Cress is not at his best so Masu gets his chance for me. Other than that everybody else played pretty well against Burnley so keep their places (with the obvious exception).

Irons Victory! ;scarf coyi ;scarf
  • edited October 2017
    Carroll is suspended. Sakho is injured. Hernandez has a "slight problem".

SB has also said that Martinez probably won't be in the squad because "we have enough options".

As far as I can see, those options are Ayew and a possibly-injured Hernandez ;hmm Personally, I don't consider that 'enough'.
  • OCS - Sakho is injured again?? is that confirmed?
  • edited October 2017
  • Jezz man we go from Feest to famine, but our famine lasts so much longer....
  • ;doh Just brought him into my FF team to replace Chicarito
  • edited October 2017
    Innit.

I'll be very disappointed if Martinez isn't included. Do we really want to risk Hernandez if he's feeling his hamstring? Is Ayew good enough to play that role?

Martinez has 23 goals in 26 U23 games. Surely that's enough for at least a place on the bench when two of our three strikers are out?!
  • Ok, now I understand the West Ham social media team were pushing Ayew’s training ground goals the other day. They were reminding us he was a striker so when he starts on Friday no-one has a meltdown.
  • MrsGrey said:

;doh Just brought him into my FF team to replace Chicarito

Can you please refrain from signing WH players....
  • You really worried me there OCS but Slav is more positive surrounding Lil'Pea:
    “Chicharito had a slight problem but he’s training at 4pm and he should be good to train with us. It’s not a big thing. He trained and felt a little bit of a tight hamstring, so we scanned it which was important, and the scan was completely clear. He missed Wednesday’s light session and we expect him to train today and, based on his feeling, to be OK."
    Going by that all is good and fit to play tomorrow. I therefore stand by my aforementioned team!
  • Just makes me more than a little nervous that it was deemed worthy of a scan. We've seen with a number of our players in recent months that we have a habit of playing them when perhaps we shouldn't.

I have a unsettling feeling that we'll play him and he'll be subbed off before half time with a more serious injury.
  • Hopefully it was scanned BECAUSE we've seen things bite us in the bum before. As in probably didn't need doing but we got it done anyway just in case. Or that's what I'm hoping, really don't want him to suffer anything long term.

However I do agree that if we do play him, let's sub him off after 60 or so just in case, hopefully with at least a goal to his name and our team well out in front!
  • edited October 2017
    However what's with this Sakho injury? 'Back issues' again apparently. He hasn't trained since the Burnley game according to Slav. He is by far the most injury prone player in our squad, outdoes Carroll by a fair margin.
  • I would do it the other way round Florin. Put him on the bench and only bring him
    on for the last 20 mins if we are struggling.Hopefully we won't need to.
  • Innit.

I'll be very disappointed if Martinez isn't included. Do we really want to risk Hernandez if he's feeling his hamstring? Is Ayew good enough to play that role?

Martinez has 23 goals in 26 U23 games. Surely that's enough for at least a place on the bench when two of our three strikers are out?!

Would be very disappointed not to see Martinez in the squad tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.