West Ham vs Bolton (League Cup) - Tuesday 19.09.17 - Match Thread

1235»

Comments

• Best moment was the two Bolton players running into each other just outside our penalty area. Laughed? I nearly......
  • Away from our match, it was really impressive seeing the Spurs fans form a mosaic of an enormous empty stadium at Wembley. Really believable.
  • I was there.
    All those who left before the end, missed the best goal of the 3. Arthur Masuako, who seemed as if he had most possession during the match but wasted it, scored a brilliant goal from 18 yards out in added time!
    I went to work a VERY HAPPY HAMMER!
    Downside was, Spuds beat Barnsley 1-0!
  • All 3 goals were well taken but I liked Sakho's goal. He didn't just rush into the 6 yard box but cut back into space to receive the ball. I hope he and Bilic can sort out their differences.
  • It seemed a really fluid formation tonight (or perhaps that was the beer). I wasn't sure if it was 4-4-2 (Ayew started right up around Sakho, but then later Hackerz was supporting Sakho, later Arnie was more or less playing up front...) or a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2 (Nobes dropped deep almost into a back 3 at times) or a 4-2-3-1 (Arnie, Ayew and Hackerz were rotating quite freely). I think if we can play like this with Lanzini and Antonio in for Hackers and Ayew/Arnie, we'll do well. However, disappointed we didn't see Sakho and Chicharito together.

Special mention for Declan Rice, who was very solid at CB, with a few strong blocks and dominating in the air. Ogbonna did perfectly well too, for all he had to handle. Otherwise, thought Arnie and Hackers showed great touches and the willingness to make something happen.

Pity there were so many empty seats...
  • What are the chances he gets lambasted on MOTD for a "woefully misplaced cross"?
  • Great result even if they have been poor this season. I think 4-2-3-1 is our best formation if we know we're the better team. I think it gets the best out of our players especially Lanzini when he's back. We need the 3 at the back and wing backs if we're playing the top clubs though.
  • I hope we get a decent draw. Had terrible luck recently in that regard. Reckon it'll be Spurs at Wembley...

OK who wants Saturday's lottery numbers?
  • I'll take the Friday Euromillions numbers if you don't mind. ;biggrin

#lotsmorecash
  • steve said:

;lol spurs cant score ;doh there I go again

and now we get them, just saying ;hmm ;biggrin ;hug
  • edited September 2017
    I was unable to watch or listen to the match, so thanks all for the comments, and especially the links for the goals!

Seems like we put on a professional display and for once used our superiority against a lower side - this is really great to hear. Excellent for both confidence and also because it would be superb to have a good couple of cup runs this year. Really pleased Slav has got the boys working well again.

For formation, I was hoping for some semblance of a 4231 as I felt the 3421 didn't quite work us enough attacking options/chances last weekend. I think it's beneficial to be able to play different formations as different styles work against differing opponents. Going to be a tough choice for the Spurs game which formation to use!

Also very pleased to see my pre-match hopes come to fruition; Sakho, Byram, Masuaku, and Adrian get a whole game (and do well), Arnie to get some time after being out (and again putting in a good performance), Nobes (and Kouyate who I forgot about ;doh) play after recently being out injured, Chicharito to get some time up top down the middle, and excellently youths Hakisakafish, Holland, and Quina get some solid game time. Very, very chuffed ;ccole.

coyi