January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I'd be gutted.
  • Same, he offers something that we have literally no one else who can compare and that is pace

Payet, Lanzini are wonderful players, Ayew is direct but in terms of pace no one compares to Antonio

He is the only guy who makes runs past the oppositions defence and he's the only guy who attacks the defenders and tries to best them

Yes he doesn't always get past the defenders and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired but he can create havoc

A problem we've had this season is not enough bodies in the box, with Payet and Lanzini dropping deep leaving Carroll isolated and his runs into the box which resulted in his goals is a trait we have no one else to replace with
  • I was going to post something about how I saw someone on twitter saying they wouldn't care if Antonio left, and I was going to laugh about how some people just like to be contrary.

But apparently that's an opinion that people hold, for some reason that I cannot fathom.

I don't think he unbalances the team at all. We probably seem imbalanced because there is no right back behind him. Or maybe because our left winger didn't come back after the Euros.
  • I would be gutted if he left the club its my opinion he has been our best player along with Reid this season and probably the best all last season , why would we want to sell him makes no sense just to bring in a player who isn't even proven in this league yet .

I thought we was trying to build something now and stopped being a selling club
    hope its not true , get rid of Payet if he's not bothered wouldn't have a problem with that but keep Antonio .

;ok
  • Well, seeing as we appear to have not a lot of money, we're going to have to find a way of raising finance.

Antonio is an interesting one. Clearly isn't interested in playing RB (bet he'd play there happily at Chelsea), doesn't look overly convincing at WB, is effective as a RW but more by luck than judgement and does have a knack of finding the back of the net, but so did Kevin Nolan.

His stock is high, his value high, I personally don't think he's got any more improving left in him and I don't think his technical ability is good enough to warrant being a 'key' player. I find a lot of his play selfish (not saying he IS selfish, but he lacks awareness and vision to do anything but go it alone).

His crossing is very hit and miss and I maintain he's had a poor season generally, apart from a few goals which have mainly come in losing causes. I don't think his all round play has been anywhere near good enough. I know that will not be a popular view because people will just come back with "he's our top scorer you numpty" and I can't really argue with that.

If Chelsea are offering us Bats as part of a deal, or just willing to spend £20m plus, I'd take it.
  • If we need to raise money we should look to sell other players first. In my opinion, selling Antonio would weaken the team significantly.

I think the argument that he isn't interested in playing RB is wrong, I just don't think he's any good there. I think he's been a very good RWB, and I also don't know how long you can argue it's more luck than judgement - he's been doing it since he got into the side over a year ago.

I wouldn't disagree that he hasn't been as good as last season, but everyone else in our team has had a far poorer season than last season (except Reid & Obiang) so that's to be expected.

I think without him we are far less dangerous, and are a far weaker side.
  • Would leave us short of attacking options though, particularly with question marks hanging over Payet’s head. We’ve already lost Tore and haven’t replaced him, so if we sell Antonio and Payet forces out hand, we’ll be back to where we were at the beginning of last season and have no wingers at the club
  • would make no sense and really upset most of the fans imo .

like I said sell Payet cash in now , use that money to strengthen the team .
  • Antonio is one of our few players who is direct , he causes other teams all sorts of problems. He is a beast in the air and one of our most hard working players . I don't really get the point in selling him unless its for a massive fee. I dread to think what we would have been like if we had Tore out there on the RW all season.
  • If we sell Antonio I am done with our owners
  • edited January 2017
    You can only sell who has interest.

You can say 'sell Payet' but we need a bid first.

If the current title favourites want Antonio, he goes.
  • lol Luke you have spent the last year telling anyone who will listen that he will be off any second.
  • Oh, so if Chelsea want him he goes. Like how we want Hogan who plays for a much smaller club, so he's here already because those are the rules.
  • ;whistle

My predictions are always 100% accurate. ;biggrin
  • We sell out top goal scorer and then are left with who on the wing / RB / Striker....?

Our second best header of the ball and the guy that wants to take people on.

We let the only player go who has actually improved from last season...
  • edited January 2017
    Ald - you know what I mean mate.

I said Payet would go as I honestly thought there would be interest and we wouldn't be able to say no. There ended up being no interest so I was wrong. Again.

And Hogan will end up here.
  • edited January 2017
    Can't believe people think it's as simple as saying 'don't sell Antonio'.

This is Chelsea. Title-challengers, Champions League participants, mega money salaries and big transfer fees.

Yeah, sorry Michail, you ain't going lol. Really?
  • [we open on a dark boardroom, a hand picks up a telephone and raises it to an unseen face]

Hey Michail? Remember that 5 year contract you signed last year?
    "Yes?"

[scene]
  • It absolutely is as simple as that. The only way we sell is if they offer us so much money it because foolhardy not to. We are in the position of power, not anyone else
  • Have Chelski actually made a bid, or is it all journo/twitter (nearly mis-spelt that) chat. Whatever, I think it would be a massive loss if he went, and would upset most of the supporters.
  • Swop him for Michy and chuck in loftus -cheek maybe worth thinking about ;hmm
  • but I agree that we cannot stand in his way if he wants off , we all know the only thing a 5 year contract does these days is gets you a large fee ;ok
  • Lukerz - those are all good arguments for joining Chelsea, Man City, Real Medrid or any other big club.

The argument against is that they've already got good players in Antonio's position and he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place. At West Ham his name must be the among the first Slaven puts on the team sheet.
  • One Thing worth remembering William cannot even get in that team as it stands
    although a different player than Antonio still a top class player ..
  • One Thing worth remembering William cannot even get in that team as it stands
    although a different player than Antonio still a top class player ..

Good point Brookings.

Bats and Willian and you've got yourself a deal, Conte ;ok
  • I think all this talk about moving players on is ridiculous. The team isn't functioning as a unit, I don't think any individuals are more to blame than others. Selling any of them is weakening the team and is going to mean rushing to replace them at a point in the season when we're vulnerable.

The right couple of players to plug the holes and a way to reverse our confidence slide and I think we'll be fine again. When the confidence is back and things start clicking again, all those players who are supposedly lacking interest will suddenly become heroes again (because even now, they're stats aren't bad).

Our transfer window was based on getting into Europa and we failed at that, ending up with players in the wrong positions for the task we ended up with. Then we were hit with injuries.

Apart from brining in a striker and a RB, our future depends more on Bilic than the players. We have decent players.
  • Antonio is the only one scoring goals. We wouldn't have anyone scoring goals if he left. Ludicrous if they got rid of him. One of our best players.
  • But we went for Defoe ;hmm
  • MrsGrey said:

If we did lose Antonio we'd be down to the minimum number of homegrown players.

If we did lose Antonio we'd be down to the minimum number of goals
  • Can't believe people think it's as simple as saying 'don't sell Antonio'.

This is Chelsea. Title-challengers, Champions League participants, mega money salaries and big transfer fees.

Yeah, sorry Michail, you ain't going lol. Really?

Yeah that's what Berahino thought aswell and that turned out well for him did n't it ;lol
This discussion has been closed.