West Ham v Bournemouth - New Years Day 2020 (ko 5:30) - Match thread

Comments

• Excellent performance, clean sheet and improved goal difference which could be worth a point in itself. Anderson seemed a different player today.
  • MrsGrey said:

So disappointing to see West Ham fans leaving early. Could ya not just stay and clap the players and the new manager. Just once. I'm sure it would mean a lot.

Probably the neutrals and tourists.
    I know we'll disagree on the this, but that sounds to me like a cop out.
  • I get what you are saying Mrs Grey, but it's their right to do what they want IMO.
    As Hamstew said, getting out the stadium is a nightmare, nothing like our old stadium.
    Everything is twice as busy as it was them days, so I personally think u r being harsh, they paid for their ticket so it's their right when they decide to leave IMO.
    Anyhow :wahoo:
  • edited January 2020
    That might be the final nail in Eddie Howe's coffin. Beaten 4-0 by us.

• MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

So disappointing to see West Ham fans leaving early. Could ya not just stay and clap the players and the new manager. Just once. I'm sure it would mean a lot.

TBF I wasn't there today so have no idea, but in my experience non West Ham fans make up a large amount of our match day attendance these days so I wouldn't be surprised.
  • It is obviously up to fans how early they leave. However, I think the players have worked their absolute socks off and just won 4-0 in a massive match. It must be very disheartening to see the stadium that empty with 10 minutes to go.
  • edited January 2020

I get what you are saying Mrs Grey, but it's their right to do what they want IMO.
    As Hamstew said, getting out the stadium is a nightmare, nothing like our old stadium.
    Everything is twice as busy as it was them days, so I personally think u r being harsh, they paid for their ticket so it's their right when they decide to leave IMO.

It's their right to do what they want-absolutely. But so many fans demand stuff. Demand a performance. Demand effort. Demand playing for the shirt.

All about them.

What can they give that will help? What can they do that will support the team?

Too much selfishness, imo.
  • MrsGrey said:

I get what you are saying Mrs Grey, but it's their right to do what they want IMO.

What can they give that will help? What can they do that will support the team?

Too much selfishness, imo.
    Well they've done more than you or I today, by turning up. Anyway, good win, pleased for Moyes, now let's do the Gills and go on a cup run.
  • Pleased for Noble and Anderson lets hope that kick starts Andersons season also pleased for myself make sleep better tonight :thumbsup:
  • Our biggest Premier League win in over a decade, according to the BBC.
  • Funny how a change of manager can bring about such a change in attitude & desire, not to mention the performances of certain players. Anderson doesn’t score a goal in a year, scores today. Fredericks can’t cross a ball usually, puts in a couple of peaches today.

Brilliant performance, brilliant result, well done Moyes & the lads. Ogbonna & Snodgrass outstanding.
  • MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

TBF I wasn't there today so have no idea, but in my experience non West Ham fans make up a large amount of our match day attendance these days so I wouldn't be surprised.
    Interesting. In your experience, how do you count the non West Ham fans?
  • That really was a dream start in so many ways. The result was the main thing as I feel Moyes would have got so little time if losing before the fans got on his back, he couldn't have wished for such a start. A couple of players who could have been lacking confidence lately in Haller and Anderson both also got quality goals, and that must help them feel their season begins today.

A note to Moyes however. The fans ,many that may have just been won over from their initial fears and prejudice, really do value the cup. Please play a full strength or very near full strength team against Gillingham or you could quite easily waste what happened this evening.

Whatever may happen however, you and the players very much deserve a round of applause this evening. :bowdown:

• Absolute masterclass from Moyes and the Boys
  • Bring on a clown

• I can kind of see the argument that there might have been some neutrals/tourists when we moved in. We'd just had a really exciting season and it was cheap football with a promise of being more exciting. Since we've moved stadium, it's not been that good, apart from some performances under Pellegrini last season and a little bit early this. Not sure why there would be anyone else coming.

My experience is we have a lot of fans who inherited supporting the club from their parents but are actually extremely entitled, despite not seeing us achieve much in their lifetimes (my lifetime). They will absolutely never rally the team when it's struggling, though they might for some of the good parts. What they will do is feed nervous energy, boo and jump on players as quickly as possible (remember when Antonio was the source of all problems for them?). Of course we still have some of those fans who made West Ham famous for their support, but the entitled fans are so numerous now. They don't actually *support* the team (and yeah, I know it's been tough with performances/running of the club but still...).

Thought it was pretty embarrassing how little today's performance got the crowd going.
  • I would just like to take this opportunity to say. Yaaaaasssss. COYI. mon the hammers 🤣😛👏🍺
  • edited January 2020
    I know this will likely be unpopular but I wouldn’t mind some sort of drumming or something to get the crowd going.

We only really ever sing 2 songs - I’m forever and Come on you Irons (unless we’re playing Chelsea or Spurs). For most of the game, it’s quiet unless something very exciting happens.

It seems to be more popular in continental Europe though. Look at Dortmund’s yellow wall. They have one of the best atmospheres and they use drums.
  • Huddersfield had drums right next to us away fans and the atmosphere was class!
  • I must confess that whenever I am watching a game and there are drums, I am thinking, that if I was sitting close to them, they would be going home wearing them.

At least it is a better option to those clippy clappy things.

Over here there are Jumbo-trons imploring the crowd to make some noise, It always strikes me as sooooo lame, once you try to manufacture the atmosphere artificially, IMO, the game really has gone
  • Just so good to see a performance and a win like that.It’s been a while.
  • edited January 2020
    Went to a Marseille v PSG with a French-Algerian friend who had season tickets in the 'ultras' stand (basically the standing area behind the goals) and it was insane. They had drums and megaphones but also sang for literally every moment, even when Marseille were losing by a couple of goals. Didn't make a difference. Later some of his friends said they wanted to come to West Ham because they'd heard so much about our support - they'd be shocked to see the reality. Honestly, seeing fans supporting unconditionally was such a refreshing experience (even though the snake was playing. Countered a little by the West Ham banner someone hangs there for some reason)

I think drums would be much better than the bubble machine anyway.
  • Whitehorse I count it as one, today’s, because I doubt we will get much out of Liverpool.

IronHerb said:

You said that last season and we drew. So quick to write us off.

IMO Thornburyiron was being realistic IH, & if you read his words he at least said I doubt, not sure you can argue with that statement IMO, even if we got a point last season, this season Liverpool sadly are playing some fantastic football. :ok:
    So last season they were rubbish then?
  • Brilliant start helped by an awful Bournemouth

Now gotta build on that, no point winning tonight then next effort play in holiday mode

Biggest positive for me was how solid we looked, fornals and Snodgrass were instrumental in that working so hard on the wings

Anderson still leaves a bit to be desired (slowed the game when he had chances to attack) but hes got some of the swagger back and looked very good
  • Champo ;ok

We did the basics right and it paid off. Some really quality from Haller for his goal. But it’s hard to gauge what that game means for where we’re going. That Bournemouth performance was pathetic - especially when they’re usually a hard opponent.

They helped us out but we did everything we needed to and that’s a good base. Hopefully Moyes can build on this.
  • Very poor opposition today so no need to get carried away. Weird that we played exactly the same formation with the same players as before but scored 4 so easily.
  • MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

I totally disagree with that statement. We do have tourists, just like every other club in the Prem, but to say we have a large number of non Hammers fans doesn't stack up.
  • Very poor opposition today so no need to get carried away. Weird that we played exactly the same formation with the same players as before but scored 4 so easily.

Whilst they were poor today, this is usually a side that has the beating of us. Did the double over us last season.
  • IronHerb said:

Whitehorse I count it as one, today’s, because I doubt we will get much out of Liverpool.

IronHerb said:

You said that last season and we drew. So quick to write us off.

IMO Thornburyiron was being realistic IH, & if you read his words he at least said I doubt, not sure you can argue with that statement IMO, even if we got a point last season, this season Liverpool sadly are playing some fantastic football. :ok:
    So last season they were rubbish then?
    Certainly not IH, & my post didn't say they were rubbish last season, not that I can find.
    This season IMO Liverpool are playing far better than even their high standard of last season, all in my opinion of course.
This discussion has been closed.