Home to the barcodes ....... Saturday 2nd November, 15:00

12345679»

Comments

• Bazshuayi said:

Another impressive outing for Leicester - the pace and movement in their side. And defensively solid too. Rodgers is doing an excellent job - losing Maguire has made little difference to them.

So we are allowed to talk positively/admiringly about other teams? If I had known that I would've said a few words about Li..... Actually forget everything I just wrote :wink:
    One of the differences being of course that I don’t actually want them to win and do well!

It is more a question of envy rather than admiration from a West Ham point of view
    Fair enough :thumbsup: You do realize I was just messing thought, right? I 100% don't mind if you're a closet fox :wink:
  • edited November 2019
    The modern game is all about money. If you don’t want me to admire other teams, then at least have some players who could care. I pay for my Sky with hard earned cash - I deserve to be able to watch a decent side, be it Watford or Real Madrid! Haven’t managed to catch the Bees this season Mrs Grey, I have been secretly admiring Leicester and Athletico Madrid.
  • Excuse me me

Wind
  • No harm in admiring other teams. Perhaps it shows a fan of good football in general (which is one of the reasons I foolishly settled on supporting WHU as a kid :doh: ). Perhaps also a frustration with our current lack of things to admire...

It's good that more people are coming out with their secret admiring, right :biggrin:
  • So Baz, does that mean that West Ham weren't your local team?
  • edited November 2019
    My Dads from the East End and its largely his fault for taking me. I liked the claret/blue colours and our football. We moved to West London when I was very young. I used to watch Brentford just as much with my mates. If we'd moved before I couldve supported a West London team. Or a team from Merseyside ;)
  • I like Brentford nylons
  • Used to enjoy the crazy gang games back in the 90's, always a good laugh and loved watching them turn teams over. Loved the West Ham team that Harry built in the Prem more though. The first season back with Chapman and Morley was brilliant football (for the players available).
  • I hated Wimbledon. One tactic, hoof. Ball or man, didn't matter. Just a bunch of thugs dressed as a football team.

Sam Hammam spraying obscene graffiti on the away dressing room walls at Upton Park didn't endear them to me either.

Glad when they went to MK.
  • I think the ability to scrutinise the match in real time and afterwards would have made a good few players unable to make their living as a pro footballer, and some of that Wimbledon team may have fallen into that group. There have always been a few players whose effectiveness was based upon aggression which nowadays would see that large part of their game removed leaving them with little else. Those such as Dicks and Pearce would have likely had more than enough to still offer something but would Vinnie Jones be premiership level?

It would be interesting for a premiership referee to referee an old Leeds match and see how many would have finished the game were it refereed by todays standards.

For any of the younger posters, have a look at this clip and decide what the referees decision should be.

Straight Red
    Foul
    Goal kick

• Thems were the days :lol:
  • If Battiston was playing for us against some of the refs' favourites he'd have got a yellow card for excessive simulation. :biggrin:
  • edited November 2019
    In 1997 they had David Ellery watch the Chelsea Leeds 1970 cup final and judge it by refereeing standards of the time.

He had to abandon the match because he'd awarded six red cards and twenty yellow cards so there weren't enough players on the pitch to continue the match.
  • c&bsky,

You missed the fourth option which was appropriate then as it would be now - a custodial sentence. ;)
  • I recorded the West Ham match, and by accident saw the last 30 minutes on tv first. We stuffed them! Splendid goal by Snodgrass after quality passing movement, totally dominated the game. Then I watched from the start. Oh. We gave them three soft goals, and only Anderson and Snodgrass put in a real shift.
    I see why the doom and gloom ratcheted up to such a high level on the board, and agree with many of the comments made, but not the degree of despair.
    PS who is the U23 gk?

• PS who is the U23 gk?

Joseph Anang,19yo

• He has to be better than the present gk. Like the Arsenal captain, I think it would be kinder to move Roberto on. Maybe a player exchange?