Home to the barcodes ....... Saturday 2nd November, 15:00

Comments

• 2-3, those 2 goals gifted them by Roberto really hurting us now.
  • we had a chance for a counter attack and we just stopped :doh:
  • Oh well. That was disappointing.

If anyone is on Stratford platform 6 at 6:49pm-ish and you see train 104 heading to Hainault via Newbury Park that'll be me.
  • I'd be fuming if I was a Newcastle fan. Should have been 4 or 5 ahead
  • Each season at some point we seem to discuss the worst team seen at the London Stadium. This season thus far there’s a strong leading contender.
  • edited November 2019
    Hadn't looked at the league tables in a bit but from reading this thread I guessed that we must have been in the bottom 3 with no hope what so ever, well adrift from the rest of the league.

I was surprised to see that in fact we are only 3 points behind 7th and actually 5 points from 18th, so closer to the top where we want to be than from the bottom where we don't want to be.

We are also currently above Spurs in the league...so yeah all doom and gloom, lets sack the manager, the players are all rubbish, next season we are going to be in the championship and all that...
  • Sorry but for me if we want to actually progress as a club, Pelle is not the answer. I never truly though he would be. He has been given a lot of money to spend and yet we still drift along aimlessly as a club.

I’d like to have a rant at sully but he has done his part and kept quiet and not meddled - even when he was not keen on giving Wilshere a long contract.
  • Stems from the Oxford game for me. Which is why I will never agree with throwing cup games.
  • edited November 2019
    Mooj I have no idea what your point is. The comments on here today and most days are about how diabolically woeful our performances are, not where we are in the league although bottom 5 or 6 is our level at the moment.
    If you watched today’s game you’d be or should be disgusted at the gutless clueless display we watched for about 70 minutes. Newcastle, who’d score once in their last six games should have been at least 5-0 up at half time.
    Something is badly wrong at the club if they go into game after game showing no real desire to impose themselves.
    There are currently a few teams below us but I’d be willing to bet few playing worse than us.
  • Just in browns having a post match cocktail. I have nothing positive to say about that game at all.
  • Thorn,

my point is, if we our performances are so diabolical that we need to look at getting rid of our manager or people talking about relegation then we should be a lot lower in the league, we are not.

We are closer to 7th than we are 18th, which means that regardless of individual performances at the moment we aren't actually as bad as everyone is making out.

We haven't gone into game after game showing no real desire, if we had, we would be a lot lower than we are. That's my point.

• edited November 2019
    Thorn when you say something is badly wrong I agree with you.
    I have said it for a long time and it is why I don’t post very often. It doesn't matter who is in charge or what players we bring in to the club . Nothing ever changes regarding long term performance or attitude at the club . We win occasionally and look like we might improve at times but on the whole season after season the attitude of the players and performance of the team in most games is rubbish. We lose to poor sides and have no real backbone in the side . We have no leader/captain of any quality on the pitch or off it so on the whole we are rudderless. Pellegrini has done nothing for this club and we are now performing terribly again as a side.
    Something is badly wrong at this club but it has been like it for years now.
  • The loss of Fabianski has been monumental. You can’t put a price on that. Roberto has cost us 4 goals since.
  • Moojor,we have played teams we should have beat .tough games coming up and the way we are playing if not in the bottom 3 then pretty dam close to it in another 5 or 6 games ,just not good enough with our so called good players who are just not turning up week after week
  • Moojor, I'm guessing you haven't watched our last few games, we have been shocking for most IMO. While the points and table does not lie, it is not really a true reflection, you say we are above Spurs, for how long though, with 10 minutes left in matches today and results how they were those figures would have been totally different, only late goals changed that, sadly our form is pathetic with performances to match, we are on a downward spiral where our results do not lie, and if everyone is truthful our matches have not been the most difficult on paper.
    I admit I never wanted Pelle, NEVER, I still don't, but I do support him while he is here, He sadly though does not inspire me at all, and it seems like at the moment he has the same effect on our players.
    You would have only needed to watch the last games to understand how bad we have played & with the table so close I feel that YES we will be looking down the table rather than up it, but if you feel good, fair play, we sadly all don't share your view.
  • Mooj our performances mostly have been rubbish. We’ve only played City of the top sides so far and are 12th by virtue of beating two of the bottom sides and a poor Man U. If we continue playing like we are we will get absolutely mullered by any of the top sides.
  • Some of the words from Cresswell after the game “ We've got to be at it from the off and be on the front foot. From our point of view, it wasn't good enough. We need to put it right, have a good week and look forward to the next game."
    Sound familiar. The same words spoken by someone at the club after every game.
  • Two questions for me

1. Just how bad must David Martin be
    2. When will Nathan Holland get a bit of a run in the first team
  • I don’t think Pelle will ever change his style of play, which is deathly slow, ponderous and boring. For that reason, I don’t think he’s the right manager for us. This league is too full-blooded and you can’t be this soft and passive.

The reason I don’t want Pelle to be sacked right now is that we’d end up with a Moyes or Allardyce stop gap, IMO, which will set us back with the style of play Pelle has at least laid the foundations for.

I’d swap Pelle for Benitez tonight, though, if that were possible. And god, how I wish we’d gone for Rodgers when he was still at Celtic.
  • Two questions for me

2. When will Nathan Holland get a bit of a run in the first team

1. He's a League 1 'keeper. I think that answers that one.

2. Under Pellegrini, I suspect never. I mean, the U23s, in particular Holland, Scully, Kemp and Powell, have been in great form. Yes, as Grey pointed out, they're playing 2nd tier football, but honestly, what harm can it do to give them some time. The first team are under-performing, so why not give them a chance? But Pellegrini seems to favour the senior pros, even though to a man they're not doing enough.

And this makes a mockery of the claim (by several players this season) that we have two quality players in each position. I mean, that's demonstrably untrue. Roberto, Cresswell, Zabaleta, Sanchez and Ajeti are not, IMO, good enough for the Premier League. It really feels like this is a party line being towed.
  • edited November 2019
    2-3 was a flattering scoreline for us. We got nothing and deserved nothing.

I don't think switching manager will solve the issue but i do think Pellegrini's time maybe coming to an end if we slip into the bottom 3 come the Southampton game, i think it will be curtains for him. Its unfortunate that he was building a nice team but has being let down by a combination of poor performances from players and his own tactical nous to not change tactics. He threw on 2 subs at half time which fair play to him for making the call, but it was literally bodies being thrown on with zero instruction and to do the same thing that happened in the first half.

I said it at the Palace game and i say it again now, he needs to go to a Diamond formation with 2 up top. Haller needs a partner, perhaps Yarmelenko ? perhaps Anderson ? either way this 4-3-3 variation is getting us consistently battered regardless of personnel on the pitch.
  • Our play was too slow and too predicatable teams just sit back and watch us play sideways and backwards then counter us.roberto is now laughing stock the crowd were cheering ironically when he saved anything. He is suck8ng the confidence out of the team by costing us poor goals every game. We need Fredericks and Masuaku back to give us some pace on the wings and speed our play up
  • Lampard is not afraid of giving the kids a chance and I see they've just won again.
    He's not doing too badly for an inexperienced manager.
  • You would seriously consider recalling Trott at this rate.

I also think a younger keeper next summer with the view to succeeding Fabianski is a priority. We need to spend some money on an up & coming keeper, or bring Trott onto the bench.
  • Lukerz said:

You would seriously consider recalling Trott at this rate.

I also think a younger keeper next summer with the view to succeeding Fabianski is a priority. We need to spend some money on an up & coming keeper, or bring Trott onto the bench.

I assumed Dave Martin was a young keeper when we signed him :doh: This would be the perfect position for an up and coming keeper to step into. Though Fabianski's going to be ahead of them, he's 34 and so they're not stuck behind a player with endless years in front of them.

If he isn't good enough to play now we might as well cancel his contract. I think Roberto is our worst signing for a long time, I think. The only saves he makes are quick reactions to shots taken from near him.

• We have not won a game since Roberto appeared in goal.

The team performance was all too pedestrian. There was no quick passing in the Leicester, Liverpool Chelsea, Man City mode. We get to the half way mark and then pass back and sideways which gives the other teams to get bodies behind the ball. There are few, if any, penetrating passes and it is all too predictable. At this rate, the team would struggle and would become a relegation candidate. Today, a team with a killer instinct would have easily scored 6 or 7 against us. Can Pellgerini change anything? He went to China for a good reason and may be has passed his best.
    We can't continue with Roberto or Zabaleta. The defence today was shambles, Why has Ogbonna been dropped? As I keep saying there was no one on the bench who could come on and change the game. Give some of the reserves a chance.
  • I've got an idea guys. It's a bit out there. But picture this.

No goalkeeper.
  • Yes why have Fredericks and Ogbonna been dropped? And why on earth would a professional manager play an aging slow Zab against that player of theirs. I think the manager has actually lost his marbles.
  • Two questions for me

You did ask...

• Maybe that was just an inside job?