Everton v West Ham, 12:30pm Saturday 19th October 2019

12345679»

Comments

• A major problem is that we don't anyone who can come off the bench and change the tempo of the game. Sanchez, Wiltshire, Ajeti, Fornals can't do it. Antonio can but he is injured.
    Diangana may have improved whilst out on loan but he wasn't delivering whilst he had first team chances. That said, from what I have seen of his play at West Brom, he seems to have improved and would be worth a recall in January. There must be someone in the reserves who can offer something different and is hungry to play - Holland, Kemp, anyone else?
  • Nathan Holland, please! He’s 21 now. He’s been in decent form for the reserves. Surely he should at least be tried? Someone with pace who could maybe stretch the game in the second half.
  • Adam said:

Nathan Holland, please! He’s 21 now. He’s been in decent form for the reserves. Surely he should at least be tried? Someone with pace who could maybe stretch the game in the second half.

I agree we need someone with pace who could stretch the game but surely Diangana must be ahead of Holland to do this.
  • I'm pretty sure Diangana is out on a seasons loan so unable to be recalled.
  • Diangana can be recalled in Jan
  • edited October 2019
    IronHerb said:

I'm pretty sure Diangana is out on a seasons loan so unable to be recalled.

I thought I read this somewhere
  • I am pretty sure David Gold Tweeted we had the option in January to recall him.
  • I’m fairly certain that most season long loans have a break clause in January, but that’s all
  • As tempting as it is to recall him, I don't think we should. Let him keep playing regularly. I don't think we're going to sink without him and I'm not sure he'll get us Europe either, though he probably will improve the side. Bring him back next season pushing for a starting place. It's a chance for someone like Holland to do what Diangana did last season - where I do think he helped us as an attacking option.
  • Unfortunately I can't see Pellegrini doing it unless like all previous managers there was an injury crisis that forced it. He spent 20m on Fornals, I doubt he will drop him to play Holland. I think he wants to justify his purchase.
  • Fornals is not a winger he either needs to play off Haller or in a central midfield role instead of Lanzini?
  • Fortune

He played on the left wing for Spain in the U21 championship this summer.
  • I don't think he needs to drop Fornals to play Holland. Holland becomes a sub option at first and then we see what he can do. And Fornals isn't really starting anyway when Yarmolenko is ready.

Holland puts pressure on Anderson and Yarmolenko to perform.

Fornals is there to make sure Lanzini does and also potentially the other two out wide. I'd also like to see him pushing up next to Haller. As bad as he was on Saturday, he did try to get into positions and just ended up scuffing things. If the header came off it would've been genius. If he was more confident, he might've realised he had plenty of time to take it on the volley/half-volley. The one Yarmolenko set up was the miss of someone frustrated with themselves. The snapshot he took from far out was the type it looked like he would've scored at Villarreal. I'm not writing him off but he needs to relax. I think it could easily snap into place.
  • I don't really like to bang on about the youth too much as I've been caught out before with them. For example Elliott Lee and Martinez. However for me Anderson is pretty much a waste of space at the moment (he's not the only one) and I feel in his position Holland should at least be making the bench in order to put pressure on him.
  • Hamstew said:

However for me Anderson is pretty much a waste of space at the moment

Three assists, our best provider so far this season, he's learnt to track back and make a defensive contribution, averages the third most tackles per game behind Rice and Arthur.

Also gets fouled more often than any other player so he must be doing something right.
  • edited October 2019
    I said at the moment. Personally I don't think he's done enough in the last two games. Like I said he isn't the only one but I'm talking about Holland's position.
  • edited October 2019

Fortune

He played on the left wing for Spain in the U21 championship this summer.

grey, who else was in the Spanish midfield Olmos, Ruiz & Ceballos? I only ask as a few experts who have watched him at Villareal state he is better in centre midfield.
  • I've noticed quite a few fans criticising Anderson (not so much on here but on other forums and social media). I feel this season his role is slightly different. Previously he was a little further forward/more attacking and contributed less defensively while now he's tracking back a bit more. A lot of the good things he does are very subtle and easy to miss. He does a lot of really clever things but can also be frustrating when he can be a bit sloppy in possession and struggle with just the basics sometimes.

Also... I'm sure some of the people who criticise him are the ones who simply look at goals/assist returns in relation to appearances when there is a lot more to football than just that!
  • edited October 2019
    I praised his tracking back and defensive work in a game not to long ago. May have been the Villa or Bournemouth game. Andersons whole game has been poor recently imo.
  • Dare I say it, Lanzini hasn’t been pulling up many trees either
  • edited October 2019
    No he hasn't like I've already said. I'm not sure if Holland would play as a No.10 though. I always thought he was a wide player.
  • Outcast,
    "The snapshot he took from far out"

It's getting ridiculous now, letting players take their mobiles/cameras on the pitch when they're supposed to be playing. :biggrin: :yercoat:
  • Holland scored twice for the u23 last night
  • Those Dutch are a damn good side again these days

• I didn’t see the game. I was in Frinton having excellent fish and chips and an amazing Chablis. Very good performance by the chef, and the waiting staff kept their lines, and were consummate professionals.
This discussion has been closed.