Norwich City H Sat 31st Aug 3pm. Haller gonna Pukki the Canaries back in their cage

Comments

• Well that was jolly good.

:scarf:
  • nice saturday night ahead :scarf:
  • Haller looked shattered after about an hour. Looking forward to seeing him when he’s up to speed, as he’s looking pretty dangerous even now :scarf:
  • edited August 2019

Haller looked shattered after about an hour.

i think it's just his body language/carriage/way he moves. Because he looks the same even early in the game. I think. Maybe. #bigman #lumbering
  • Says something when I feel a little bit disappointed with a 2-0 win. Imagine going into the international break in 5th place and a positive goal difference.

A lot of talk has been about Norwich's attacking threat, but by all accounts we kept them very quiet so the back four have to take some long-overdue credit.

Haller seems to be a right place at the right time striker, as his three goals have all been relatively simple. That said, that's a skill in itself and it's so pleasing that we have someone that can do simple very well. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.
  • edited August 2019

A lot of talk has been about Norwich's attacking threat, but by all accounts we kept them very quiet so the back four have to take some long-overdue credit.

Our MF were disciplined too, just kept everything tight.

Pukki's not that quick (couldn't outrun Diop).

It felt that we cut off his supply, but it would be interesting to see if the stats bear that out.
  • OCS

I wouldn't say his 2nd against Watford was simple!

The other goals have been down to good positioning and clever movement.
  • edited August 2019
    Friends and work colleagues have been all "oh you've got Norwich, they will do you. Pukki is gonna bang a few in against you". Was nice that we put them in their place and completely dominated them. Welcome to the prem.
  • Yeah, that was a good finish. What I mean is his three goals have all been scored from 6 yards out as opposed to 30 yard bangers or Payet-esque solo goals, but that to me is a sign of an excellent striker; being in the right place at the right time.
  • Also, I thought Masuaku was outstanding.
  • Very early days obvs, but nice to see Chelsea, Man U and either Arsenal or Spurs all playing catch-up with us.

(For sober comparison, Watford managed 12/12 from the opening 4 games last season, and since then have only managed only 39 points from 38 games. #uplikearocket)
  • OCS

I know what you mean. I remember being enormously pleased the first time Deano put one in from a yard. Haller certainly looks to be a 'natural' goal scorer in that mould.

Jorderz :thumbsup:

Arthur vice-MotM for me.
  • Could not watch the game today, it's recorded and ready to watch..bring on the :redwine: , Happy days & weekend all....
  • jay

You could FF through some of the 1st half, but the 2nd was really good.

Enjoy!
  • After a few :redwine: it will be all a joy to watch!...
  • Match of the Day. Again. 2 weeks running.

It's like being a proper club :wahoo:
  • edited August 2019
    Great second half. We showed discipline for most of the time and kept the ball really nicely at times. Diop, Masuaku, Rice, Noble, Lanzini, Anderson & Haller all had great games.

We didn't quite click in the first half and perhaps showed them too much respect but in the second half we got behind them and caused them problems. Anderson grew into the match as the game went on. Masuaku overlapped well (particularly with his assist) and generally looked good defensively. Rice was clever in the first half by slotting back in to deal with potential Norwich counters.

Haller is a handful. He tired towards the end understandably but the likes of Lanzini and particularly Anderson did a lot of the running getting behind him. There were a couple of times where I felt Lanzini just needed to put his foot through it and have a shot - having said that, he still had a great game.

Our defence looked really solid. I was surprised Balbuena wasn't brought back into the team and as much as I rate him, I don't think we should change our back 4 based on that performance. We're only going to improve if we keep that back 4 the same.

Might be a coincidence but Noble plays and we win again! I can't see Noble or Rice being injured much this season so Wilshere is going to find it hard breaking back into the team.
  • It was important that we got the 2nd goal early in the 2nd half - Norwich had to chase the game and we got lots of space/opportunities when we got the ball and they had all piled forward. :ok:

• Might be a coincidence but Noble plays and we win again!
    :angry:

No no no no no!
  • MrsGrey said:

It felt that we cut off [Pukki's] supply, but it would be interesting to see if the stats bear that out.

Just checked.

15 touches. 2 shots (both on target).
    Apart from the subs, that was the lowest.

(And Snoddy, who only came on in the 70th min) got 22.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1375961/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020-West-Ham-Norwich
  • Norwich manager spends his entire BBC interview crying about VAR and how it should have helped when Haller made a challenge on the centre-back just before the goal.

It was a mistake by the referee, and should have been a free-kick and possibly a booking.

But a red card? Get a grip.
  • How did he feel about our penalty that VAR didn't give?
  • edited August 2019
    I'd hazard he went all Wittgenstein:
    “Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.”
  • MrsGrey said:

How did he feel about our penalty that VAR didn't give?

Oddly, he never mentioned it.
  • I'd hazard he went all Wittgenstein:

“Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.”
    Wittgenstein? Wasn't that Cantona?
  • No, Cantona was:
    Woof woof one cannot eat, hair loss one must be sardines.
  • Oh, of course. My memory :doh:
  • edited August 2019
    There’s a real chance of us doing something this season. We can’t keep on thinking that the top 6 is out of reach

It isn’t necessarily so. I think Chelsea and Arsenal will be up and down this season and they will fall further behind the top 2/3. Man Utd are probably a bit of an unknown. So there’s a chance with continued progress that we can put ourselves in the mix. A small chance albeit, but a chance nonetheless
  • Shame it’s the international break next week
This discussion has been closed.