Transfer Deadline Day

Comments

• edited September 2019
    He was a misfit in the grand scheme of (Pelle's) things but disruptive? Never! Very unfair imo.

He was on a large salary and that we have that back is all to the good plus he would have been out of contract next season so getting a few mill for him while he was still our asset is great news.

Best of luck for the future Chicha
  • Good luck to him. :footie: :wave: :luck:
  • Thornburyiron and MNLH
    Ok "disruptive" is probably too harsh a word.
    But he doesn't want too be here, so it's right the club let him go now.
  • I like to think after the mass wage cull FFP shouldn't be an issue for a while.

• Yes you can and thanks for the saving of wages :wave:
  • Chico has the most valuable attribute for a striker which is finishing, he could really finish, sadly he is not built to play lone striker and if Pelle insists on that he is better off leaving. He thrives in being in the box and picking up pieces and burying them, he is simply not going to get on the end of crosses, beat players of hassle centre backs. If you could transplant Chico's finishing into Row z Antonio you would have one of the best strikers in the league.

Good luck to him, I of course don't know this but there must be a fair chance he has taken a considerable pay cut to get his move and I have great respect for any player who chooses pitch time over money.

• Good luck to him, I of course don't know this but there must be a fair chance he has taken a considerable pay cut .

:ok: He did, according to Sevilla's sporting director. (Quotes on the BBC and elsewhere.)
  • I don't think West Ham could afford to have their highest paid player sitting on the bench and playing 20 mins here and there I think the deal suits all parties and I hope he does well and Sevilla.
  • Good player in the wrong place at the wrong time, unlike his goal scoring prowess.
    Shame for him to go but the right decision. Good luck to him.
  • And with this sale our net summer spend comes very close to a very spooky £30m....... ;)
  • :hmm: 30 m you say now where have i heard that before
  • I deffo won’t be going to bed
  • Smart move, shame the English window closing early handicaps us RE replacement

Cant afford not to take the fee plus the £6/7mil it would cost for him to run off his contract

Big chance for Ajeti, let's hope he can step up if needed, or we may be seeing one of out attacking mids in a false striker role
  • Losing AC, Perez, Marko and Chico in one go and bringing in just Haller and Ajeti is certainly bold

But I think the right thing to do.
  • I wish Chico well, he is undoubtably a good player and I, for one, was excited when we signed him, however he is not a lone striker and as such it did not ready work out for him at WHU. It is probably better for everyone that he seeks pitchtime elsewhere and I wish him well.
  • I just hope this leads to bigger and better things going forward, with all the deadwood cleared (or majority of it bar Sanchez) high wage earners who weren't contributing massively to the first 11 cleared out.

Its a bit of a "reset button" hit, which I hope will be followed up in both Jan and Summer to push us on more.

At the very least, feels like our squad is being paid in accordance with performance and not just on a name or profile.
  • I think we’ve had a habit in the past of going for quantity over quality, and it seems that we’re trying to set that right. Progression will come from 2/3 quality additions each year rather than a raft of changes
  • It feels like for a long time it was 'get the players, then sort the system', whereas now it looks like Pelle has a clear idea of what he wants, and asks for players to fit that.
  • Compare the Pea to Michael Owen:

"I didn't want to go there (Newcastle) - my heart was set on a return to Liverpool."

In his book, which is being serialised in the Daily Mirror, Owen says the Reds could not match Newcastle's offer 14 years ago, so he reluctantly agreed his switch to St James' Park.
  • I think that under Pelle and his 'project' we can now attract better players on decent wages whereas before we had to pay over the top wages to attract the better players to come.
  • grey

:ok:

I saw that and initially assumed that it meant salary, but then wondered if it meant that Liverpool couldn't match Newcastle's bid to Real Madrid?
  • Also, Shinji Okazaki is a free agent all of a sudden. Played 21 games for Leicester in the league last year without scoring. Sounds like the free signing striker we've all be waiting for?
  • I'd take him on a deal until January. He knows the PL and would provide cover for Haller and Ajeti until we can buy a replacement for Hernandez.

Not a great scoring record, but if Haller or Ajeti get injured, we have literally no cover, even in the U23s as I understand it (Dju, Silva and Adarkwa injured and Afolayan on loan).
  • edited September 2019
    We've registered 17 non HG players - we can't register any more. We've got Xande Silva coming back from illness, who could be available from November.

We've got a squad list of 27, of whom 3 are U21, so we have one space free to register a free agent who is HG qualified.

(This is assuming the premier league site is showing the correct list. Oddly, there is no Hernandez there, which is confusing, as that would have meant we had 18 before...)
  • I had assumed clubs had already submitted their list, after our window closed, but looking around (and it makes sense) I suspect that they have to do it now, once the European window is closed.
  • edited September 2019
    I assumed that as Hernandez has left, we had a non-HG place available in the squad :hmm:
  • OCS

It's hard to tell, tbh. The club site doesn't have Xande Silva in the squad list, but the PL one does...
  • The club web site only just deleted Potts from the squad list.... give them a chance!
  • Has he left? :nonono:
  • :hug: yes he has, I'm so sorry.