The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• I’d take 50 mil this window if he genuinely wants to go
  • Luke I think it’s irrelevant whether we turned a £20M player into a £40M player we were warned that it doesn’t take him long to throw his toys out of the pram.
    £40M is not going to get us a suitable replacement in January.
  • edited January 2019

we were warned that it doesn’t take him long to throw his toys out of the pram.

Three seasons at Twente, three and a half seasons at Werder Bremen, three and a half seasons at Stoke.

He didn't stay long in one place...
  • edited January 2019

Luke I think it’s irrelevant whether we turned a £20M player into a £40M player we were warned that it doesn’t take him long to throw his toys out of the pram.
    £40M is not going to get us a suitable replacement in January.

How is it irrelevant? We will make a £20m/£30m profit on a guy who was a nobody 18 months ago. He helped keep us up, helped get us to 8th by mid January, & now we cash in. Who cares if Stoke fans were right. They are bottom half in the Championship.

It will be hard to replace him but we didn’t have him 18 months ago, he’s had a great year & we double our money. Great business.

So we should have turned him down on his sulking record? So we’d never have him in the first place anyway?
  • Luke you’re missing my point. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have signed him but equally people shouldn’t be surprised he throws a sulk when he wants something else. That’s how we got him in the first place.
    If you think that the way to go for us is to sell a player as soon as we can make a tidy profit then that’s up to you but I’d rather we try to build a team for the future.
    What happens in the summer if someone bids £20M for Rice, an equally tidy profit as that for Arnie or £50M for Anderson.
    I don’t want us to be a selling club.
  • thorn

For me, a selling club is one that looks to cash in on any player of value by selling them off, to balance the books.

If Arnie is determined to do the off, there is not much we can do except get top dollar.

Spurs spent several very useful years trading up players.

Arnie is clearly one of our best players, but imo is far from the best we can get.

• I think he will stay but for once if we do lose
    Him it’s not the end of the world
  • Arnie spotted at the airport...but he's just off to Vienna for a family trip.
  • Arnie, go take a little look in the mirror mate. West Ham made you a star. If you want the money that much, then off you go. We will still be here long after your career has been forgotten. Dimitre who?
  • Chinese transfer window doesn’t close until 28 Feb so they’ll be in no rush.
  • Chinese clubs are allowed a maximum of 3 foreign players. The one that wants Arnie is already full. If they sign him they'll have to sell someone. Or pay up their contract and release them. I'm still half wondering if the agent is just using Chinese interest to leverage a move to a bigger PL or European club.
  • Which Chinese club put the bid in?
  • For me, the big difference between this and the Le Sulk situation is that Payet was our talisman, the one player of genuine quality at the time, who could singlehandedly win us a game.

Arnie is another big player for us, and a game-changer, but we have other quality players now, and a system that is clearly working, so while he'd be a miss, he wouldn't be irreplaceable.
  • Arnie. So bro which Chinese team is it?
    Bro. Oh I just said that to get u a pay rise!
    Arnie. Oh
    Bro. Oh
  • edited January 2019
    I agree with grey @ 4.51. Are Tottenham a selling club for letting Bale go when they did or Liverpool for selling Coutinho. If the money is right any one club will sell one of their best players.
  • Aslef.

So what you are saying is Arnie is like Mourinho but without the trophies.
  • If he wants to go, we need him gone quickly. He has done great for us, but today when I was watching him he annoyed me with all his flailing arms and negative body language.

Very good player, but not a team player.
  • My opinion is we need keep him, however if he is allowed to go so quickly and without much of a fight I would take it that Pelle has sanctioned it personally and I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up that he already knows who he is going to spend the money on and he considers it a good swap.

Pelle to me looks like he knows what he is doing and I don't imagine if he is allowed to go that he would either simply hope to panic buy in the next two weeks or approach the second half of the season with Carroll and Perez as your strike force.
  • If Arnie does have a gambling problem as someone on here suggested then I'm not sure China is the best place for him as they do like a bit of a flutter over there.

Its like when David Bowie and Iggy Pop decided the best way to get off drugs was to move from Los Angeles to Berlin.
  • Personally I think his brother is trying to get him a move to Chelsea / Man U either way if he wants to China or whoever I would sell him rather than have a stroppy player disrupting the team spirit
  • Team spirit seems fine from yesterday's performance and from ALL the players' reaction to Rice's goal.
  • Just wonder if these 'back niggles' are a sign of a more serious problem and he thinks he needs to 'cash in' before he breaks down? No evidence, just an alternative reason ...
  • Aslef thinking more if Arnie does a Payet to get his transfer which he has a bit of history of doing
  • Antonio said Arnie wants to leave
  • Really strange that Antonio's said that on TV.
  • It is strange but why should he lie for him.
  • I thought he might let something slip with either Rice or Arnie.
  • Why, is Rice going? ;hmm
  • Re: his international decision
  • The Chinese do like Rice ;hmm