West Ham vs Man City (H) Match Thread 29/04/2018

Comments

• This is the 15th time West Ham have let in at least three goals in the league this season

• if that isnt alarm bells for relegation next season if we dont go down this season i dont know what is.

Major investment needed. !
  • The jury is not only out on Moyes, but it has delivered its verdict and is already in the middle of its next case
  • Zab probably our best defender evra waste of space and wages what has he brought to the table ?
  • At least our goal difference is still 5 better than Huddersfield and 1 better than Swansea at the moment.
    Trouble is our 4-1 hammerings have come in threes this season so next Saturday could be interesting.
    I still believe if we stay up it will be thanks to those below us messing up. Saints will probably survive but we are hoping that either of the above lose all their games because even one in for Swansea or one draw for Huddersfield will drop us as I'm not confident of our picking up a point. Everton as last game is not one I'd wish for as we hardly ever get anything off them at home.
  • Lucky we kept it at that IMO.
    Our goal should never have stood as Cheikh was way offside so the rest is irrelevant .
    No game plan , hopeless .
    2-1 at ht was well lucky, the class between those teams is sadly massive.
    Never expected anything more, that's us in a nutshell.
    IMO of course, little backbone.
    Hope that we scramble the points to survive , but reality is what it is...
    Massive game at the Fox's next week..
  • edited April 2018

There is a huge gulf in class, Thorn, it's true, and this game was always going to end in defeat.

Which is why Moyes' negative set up bothers me. This was a free hit.

No, it wasn't. We have to keep the goal difference in mind. No use giving ut a go and losing by 6 or 7
    Giving it a go got us back in the game. Then the second half started and we went back to the sit deep and let them break us down tactic.

If keeping goal difference in mind was our priority then we may as well have just had the 10 tallest outfield players in the squad camped on the goal line for 90 minutes.
  • What concerns me is without MAJOR investment we will keep going through this process. One team a season fights really above their weight this year it appears to be Burnley & Leicester the other season when they won the Premier League. I just don't believe the owners have the funds to move us where we should hope to be, I expect there will be some who will say they have spent alot of money and that I can't say they don't spend money but as has been proved yet again it is not enough.
  • Two own goals gave City a perfect start and for what was an uphill struggle anyway. The other two City goals scored by their midfielders that ours did not track. Can't fault Adrian for anything. Evra was beaten too often and Kouyate was AWOL too often. Masuaku came on for a cameo but no real, end product. And what on earth has happened to Lanzini? Now we need to win one of the next three to make sure of another season in EPL. Stoke will not be a rollover as they are fighting for their lives and we need some players to deliver. I think we need to play Hugill/Carroll in the next game and support Arnautovic.
  • What is a miracle is that we have skipped 67 goals in 35 games and yet sit on 35 points.
  • Why buy Hugill, I lay the blame at Sullivans door, we needed a good defensive midfielder in the last 2 windows, he failed, I don't know if he was trying on the cheap or not, but today was another long line of joke performances.
  • I said Stoke when I meant Leicester - Ah, how the memory of getting a point lingers.
  • I don't think there was ever any realistic chance that we'd get anything from this game and damage limitation was all we could ever aspire to. They have class in every position but apart from Arnie we have nobody that if they played for other clubs we'd be saying let's go after them. We are weak in all positions when up against top 6. We sometimes will have the edge when up against other teams in bottom 6.
    Chelsea are the only team in the top 10 not to have beaten us this season unless we get something out of Leicester next week.
  • Luckily they’ve on the Premier League and took it easy on us...... ;wink
  • Just read the article where Carroll left the bench after the substitutes were used and Moyes going to deal with it Monday
  • Cuz1 said:

Just read the article where Carroll left the bench after the substitutes were used and Moyes going to deal with it Monday

;hmm
  • imagelost said:

Cuz1 said:

Just read the article where Carroll left the bench after the substitutes were used and Moyes going to deal with it Monday

;hmm
    ;hmm
  • For all his injury problems, I feel Carroll is both keen to play and passionate about staying up. Hope they make friends and Carroll plays a part against Leicester.
  • I don't have a problem with damage limitation in some cases but I think Moyes idea of what would limit damage today was very wrong. The slowest possible defensive options against probably the fastest attacking line-up in the league. And then he didn't fix it. Then he put on attacking players when it was too late, risking making it worse.
  • imagelost said:

Cuz1 said:

;hmm
    ;hmm
    ;hmm
  • On the game, Adrian was squarely at fault for the second goal - however I think this was hardly mentioned, if at all. If that were Hart he would have been savaged.
  • West Ham are, without any shadow of a doubt, the worst Premier League team that I have watched this season.
  • I think from his recent team selections that Moyes is out of ideas now and if we stay up the players will have to do it themselves.

Luckily Arnie is of the character you need in a scrap, and I believe Carroll will be also if he makes it on, but essentially I think Arnie will drag us over the finish line by finding the net when we need it, before leaving in the summer as I think he can be one of the best forwards in the league under a better side and I personally wouldn't swap him for Kane. Salah ? ok I will let you twist my arm but not many others.
  • On the game, Adrian was squarely at fault for the second goal - however I think this was hardly mentioned, if at all. If that were Hart he would have been savaged.

I thought that at first but I’m also unsure. If he doesn’t rush out to make that block, the city player is clear through anyway. But he’s then out of position and can’t set himself in time.

I thought his reaction and positioning on the fourth goal was pretty poor.
  • Both our goalkeepers are a shambles, to be honest.

The defenders will bear the brunt for the abysmal defensive record this season, but both Hart and Adrian are liabilities, and teams have been pouring through the centre of our midfield unchecked for a long time now.

If we aren’t relegated this season (I don’t think we will be), I do now worry already about next season, as I just can’t see us getting the necessary recruitment to change the fundamental flaws in our squad and our play.

Sad times, really.
  • We need a big push in the summer but cant see it happeneing

We are depserate for a new CM and a new GK........and thats just a start

Moyes doesnt know how to balance the team

We either attack and get picked apart...actually shredded

Or we play negative and hope Arnie can do it all himself (which he often does)

Cant see Arnie leaving as as i cant see a big 6 team wanting him (given his price and age)
  • Moyes should have gone route 1 in 2nd half bringing on Carroll and not Hernandez who is unsuited to playing in a team spending the majority of time out of possession. Carroll can hold the ball up and bring others in to join any nascent attack AND he can defend when required whereas Chicharito can do neither.

Noble had a good game amongst the shambles that is our mid field as did Lanzini, trouble is Kouyate and Fernandes aren't up to it especially the latter.
  • Reckon AC is being spared as the owners want him not to be crocked if they plan to sell him in the summer. It’s a bit of a flawed theory though as a lot of the the time he doesn’t actually get injured playing but rather doing things like stepping out of the bath
  • To use Carroll, you need players around him. That wouldn’t have happened yesterday. I understand why he wasn’t brought on.

Also, even though Moyes definitely makes substitutions too late, he was actually about to bring them on before they scored the 4th goal.
  • edited April 2018

On the game, Adrian was squarely at fault for the second goal - however I think this was hardly mentioned, if at all. If that were Hart he would have been savaged.

What else was he supposed to do? Fernandinho's pass put Sterling through on goal without West Ham shirt near him, if Adrian hadn't come for it Sterling would have scored anyway.

I thought Adrian played well, if we'd have Hart in goal it would have been 8-1
This discussion has been closed.