West Ham vs Arsenal (A) Match Thread 22.04.2018

1234568»

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I don't understand why Hart has this fixation on constantly screaming words as if it makes him a dominant or intimidating presence on the pitch. If you want to come and get the ball, shout for it and come and get it. Failing that just come and get it and wipe out everybody in the way as you do it, don't bother calling. Players tend to deal with the ball anyway regardless of whether a keeper shouts for it. Shouting 'AWAY' for me has no real purpose. Experienced defenders know their job is to head the ball away or clear it if they are under pressure, they don't need the keeper telling them.

Hart had no real reason to tell Rice to head it. The ball was swung in, Rice would normally attack it, but he obviously had a brain fluster at the fact he heard Hart's booming voice. To be honest it's pretty hard when he screeches to tell what he's saying, let alone differentiating between 'AWAY' or 'MINE' or whatever. He just confuses the situation. Rice, however, had he been a bit more streetwise, would've ignored his vastly experienced international colleague and just got his head on it. He'll know to do that in future and I'm sure he won't repeat that split second decision to let it go by him.

But it's becoming more and more baffling that Hart is still between the sticks.
  • I thought it was a pretty even game up until the last ten minutes, when Monreal scored Moyes made the necessary changes and we equalised.

We didn't deserve to lose like that and Arsenal certainly didn't deserve the win. In a lot of ways it was very much like Arsenal's 3-0 win over Stoke, that was coasting to a 0-0 draw until Arsenal were awarded a penalty in the 75th minute

So who was meant to be marking Monreal three minutes after he had a shot from almost the exact same spot?

As for Rice, even Bobby Moore made mistakes. Did Hart shout? I've not been able to find a clear view of him in any of the highlights.
  • baracks

I'd hope Rice did see the comments on here (or similar comments on any platform), as to me they are universally supportive.

I don't think anyone on here has said anything that Rice wouldn't accept as fair comment, and it's not like he doesn't know he made a mistake is it?
  • I do not know how you eradicate individual errors, I doubt that in reality we have more than our peers, it just seems so as inevitably I watch West Ham with greater attention than other teams.

Historically our corners and free kicks have been laughable, yesterday, I did not know how Mario can look Zabaleta in the eye, his totally abject corner directly resulted in the breakaway run where Zabaleta had little option but to launch into a tackle that inevitably resulted in a yellow.

I fail to understand why professional footballers take so many poor corners, I played for Old Westamians, (mostly in their fifth team) and even there, if you failed to get a corner in or around the penalty spot, you could expect to be in the receiving end of some pretty fruity language.

It completely baffles me,
This discussion has been closed.