Post-transfer discussions (inc is Zab a decent RB/signing)

Comments

• I think he was a significant upgrade on what we had, and improved the first XI as a result. And I think he's played really well at RWB. I really don't see that his 'legs are gone', he seems to have a better engine than most of our players.
  • DS via Jim White on Talksport said we bid £25m for Joe Allen from Stoke in this last window.
  • ;hmm

So we had £25m to spend.

Dendoncker, who Moyes has said we were after, was available at £18m.

Am I missing something?
  • Oh good... We'll see him on Saturday then?

Oh hang on...
  • Perhaps they bid for Allen on the last day? ;lol
  • edited February 2018
    It's things like this that grind (some) people's gears.

Such a pointless statement to make. I was expecting it earlier to be honest; the 'we tried' line. But what does he think it will achieve? He must be aware of people's opinions on our transfer window and how the mood is amongst the fans; did he really think this would help the situation?

'We tried but a relegation rival wouldn't sell us their best midfielder to us'.

Of course they wouldn't; only an idiot would sell to a relegation rival in January.

Oh...
  • He needs to put a sock in it.

IMO, a lot of the issues fans have at the moment is because he (Sullivan) says stuff he can't or won't back up with action.

• OCS,

It's like look people we have the money but whether we are actually going to spend it well that's a different story. ;whistle
  • Exactly right Suz - The bloke just can't help himself by commenting in the media on anything and everything.

We don't give a flying unicorn on who we nearly bought/who we bid on/who we missed out on. The fact is _______ (enter player) isn't holding up a shirt come the end of the window.

It's a non-event. Pointless. It just annoys people, myself included.

He cannot resist the celebrity of being a football club owner.

Should keep his pie hole closed and get on with the job in hand.
  • Lionel Scaloni was the best RB of all time. Never forget the FA Cup Magical moment......
  • edited February 2018
    Cuz1 said:

Makes me laugh when people talk about liking him as a person and character but question his ability and performances, think he’s had a good season for us imo and credit to him at his age for his versatility

Why does it make you laugh?

It’s not that groundbreaking.

He’s had a fantastic career, won plenty with Man City and a great international career. He has had good games for us and clearly is a great professional.

But the fact remains he is now playing positions, and has for the majority of the season, which he was not signed for, nor has he played for the majority of his career.

He was signed to play in a 4-2-3-1 but that was not possible because, mainly, him being exploited in several games and his lack of pace in his legs making him vulnerable. That was the main reason we then went to 3 at the back.

He is now playing ‘ok’ at RWB, but it’s not his position or what he was bought for. He’s playing there because he couldn’t play the position he was meant to in our side.

If we were thinking of going 3-4-3 at the start of the season, we would’ve signed a proper RWB.
  • Good job it’s about opinions, previous you have slated him, his legs have gone, he has played out of position in games granted but I believe he’s had maybe two or three bad games this season obviously only in my opinion but they were games where as a whole we were bad and in my opinion it’s unfair and unjust to say the stuff you have but ay that’s your opinion too and if that’s what you believe I’m happy with that too must be different games I’m going to than the ones you do
  • Cuz - I’m obviously in the minority and in that case the odds would say I was completely wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.
  • It will be a big problem in the summer

Fonte / Collins / Zabaleta are all going to need to be replaced at roughly the same time. I cant see any of them going beyond one more season (if they do then the club has limited aspirations to push for a top half getting onto the coat tails of a European spot)

Hart, loan

Joao Mario, loan

Kouyate and Byram don't look that great for me to say they should be apart of a team aiming for a top 10 top 8.

Carroll should have been moved on a long time ago

Already down a Striker / DM / Creative midfielder to begin with and has not being addressed. In fact we sold 2 strikers to bring one in. DM issue rumbled for 2 windows, creative midfielder is a loan currently.

Then we have to hope we don't lose Hernandez / Lanzini and so on to not have to replace them.

Realistically Moyes could gut the squad of 6 or 7 players and would need to sign 10 to get us back to a reasonable level to contend for that top 10 top 8. The board don't have the money to do it and the Loans / Age of players signed will hit them hard in the future.

• But we are in contention for 10th this season.
  • Didn't we have a list of targets at the beginning of the window so would we be expected to bid for them all at once. What happens if they were all accepted would we say hang on a while and we will get back to you. It's not like ordering two or more of something on line and sending back what you don't want.
    I would presume that we would target our top priority first and work our way down the list. Maybe Dendonker and Amadue were low down the list behind Allen, Cairney and Maddison none of whom we were successful with for whatever reasons.
    I don't agree for one minute with those who believe or like to believe that we did nothing until about 5pm on deadline day.
    After the Wigan game Moyes said we'd had 10 bids in.
  • Great post Yeold ;ok
  • IronHerb said:

But we are in contention for 10th this season.

and also in contention to be relegated. Its a fine margin when you are competing with the rest despite having a very much larger stadium, in London, With more money, paying the highest wages over them all.......
  • No Thorn, you bid for your No1 target. If that bid is rejected, you move on to your next one. Or maybe you put bids in on two or three players simultaneously.

The point is that if we believe Sully we had £25m to spend.

Irrespective of where Dendoncker or Amadou were on that list, we had £25m to spend on either of them, but didn't.
  • edited February 2018

No Thorn, you bid for your No1 target. If that bid is rejected, you move on to your next one.

Straight away? Or do you try to go back in with an improved bid? How long do you hold on before giving up on your first choice?

All the time, players lower down your list are likely to do their own deals and be unavailable by the time you get round to giving up on your 1st and 2nd choices.

I imagine the transfer window is like spinning plates, and even more so in January.
  • Lukerz said:

Cuz - I’m obviously in the minority and in that case the odds would say I was completely wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Yes lukerz lol, but don’t stop having opinions cus tho I may disagree there respected by me sometimes it’s another take on things
  • edited February 2018
    But Mrs G, Dendoncker was available. He was available all month. I'd have thought that Coates would have given Sully a feel for how available Allen was, i.e. not at all, as Fulham did with Cairney. And I doubt that happened on the 31st.

To bid £25m for Allen suggests to me that there was an acknowledgement of how desperately we needed a CM, and whilst I agree that there were plenty of plates spinning, to let them all crash to the ground is just not acceptable, IMO.
  • Lionel Scaloni was the best RB of all time. Never forget the FA Cup Magical moment......

I liked Scaloni, not a blood-and-guts tackler but skillful apart from the obvious lapse of judgement. He really wanted to stay here, when Pardew told him he wouldn't be getting a permanent contact at the end of season awards dinner Scaloni supposedly burst into tears.
  • Good.....

Just boot the ball out, how hard is that. ;weep
  • Lukerz said:

Cuz1 said:

Makes me laugh when people talk about liking him as a person and character but question his ability and performances, think he’s had a good season for us imo and credit to him at his age for his versatility

He is now playing ‘ok’ at RWB, but it’s not his position or what he was bought for. He’s playing there because he couldn’t play the position he was meant to in our side.
    I'll contend he's playing there because we have no one better, at this point, that can play that position.
  • Even Bobby Moore made rickets

Maybe I'm overly forgiving having made so many mistakes myself
  • So we had £25mil ready for Allen

Yet ended up in profit...nice

Hes a clown
  • edited February 2018
    that bang on Suzanne
    that is why the fans cant take to sully
  • All Sully has achieved with his latest " foot in mouth" statement is
    we tried and failed again to get someone
    and the money for dendocker was always there

Please for the love of god get off the radio
  • Moyes never seemed interested in the DM position. Allen would have been a good signing for us. Hopefully we get him in he summer.