International break matches

Comments

• Australia through, Jedinak scored a hat trick
  • alderz said:

tbh, Adam, I don't think Livermore has done any wrong for England, but no he isn't exciting.

In a midfield two I would have Dier + Alli , or (if Alli is playing behind the striker), I would probably want Dier + Wilshere if fit.

I forgot Wilshere even existed.

So, our best XI (with everyone fit)

Hart
    Stones Smalling Cahill
    Walker Wilshere Alli Rose
    Sterling Kane Rashford

;hmm
  • For me, our best XI with everyone fit:

Butland; Jones Stones Cahill; Walker Dier Wilshere Rose; Sterling Alli; Kane
  • Jones? Come on now Alders. Stop messing around.
  • See, I just don't get Phil Jones. He reminds me of Tomkins in a way. He does the last gasp thing which looks good, but is only necessary because he's not where he should have been in the first place.

All about the onions though.
  • I would like to get Lallana in the 11, maybe Lallana and Alli behind Kane.
  • IMO, Phil Jones has been the best English CB in the PL this season
  • Also, yes Vorse I really like Lallana, but I forgot he existed
  • Good call Vorse ;ok Lallana would certainly make my bench. And possibly in ahead of Rashford, who may be more of an impact player anyway ;hmm

Tricky, this management lark.
  • so the last space for a World Cup place is between Peru and New Zealand.

England in Pot 2.

Draw on 1st Dec.

• alderz said:

IMO, Phil Jones has been the best English CB in the PL this season

Fair enough. I think he's awful. ;thumbsup
  • Pickford/Butland
    Walker Gomez Dier Stones Rose
    Lallana Alli Sterling
    Kane Rashford

I went for a convenient back 5 with Dier in it to allow my front 5 all to play

Gomez did himself no harm, hopefully Cahill will be binned sooner rather than later as he's never been international class
  • Peru 2-0 NZ

Jefferson Farfan scored the first, plays for Locomotiv Moscow so he won't have far to travel

Peru (FIFA ranking 10) go into Pot 2 with England, Denmark (19) drops into Pot 3 and Serbia (38) drops into Pot 4.

As hosts Russia (65) are in Pot 1 but are currently ranked below all the teams in Pot 4
  • Peru are 10th in the world?!

They must still have the mighty Nobby Solano.
  • And Paddington bear ;whistle
  • edited November 2017
    In 2016 and 2017 Peru have played 20 competitive matches in the World Cup and the Copa America, W9, D8, L3, plus they won all four of their friendlies.

They've not lost since Brazil in November last year and they held Argentina to 0-0 in Buenos Aires..........pero estacionaron el autobús
  • There's something odd about the FIFA ranking system, when a team ranked #10 can't qualify automatically for a S. American place. They're unbeaten for 20 matches, how come they aren't above Argentina in the FIFA rankings? Does Messi get Argentina double points or something? ;hmm
  • alderz said:

You may think that, but the stats would say you aren't correct in thinking that
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Oooooh, stat-shots fired... ;sofa
  • edited November 2017

There's something odd about the FIFA ranking system, when a team ranked #10 can't qualify automatically for a S. American place. They're unbeaten for 20 matches, how come they aren't above Argentina in the FIFA rankings? Does Messi get Argentina double points or something? ;hmm

Argentina are ranked fourth but had other results gone against them on the last day they could have ended up in the playoffs.

Its a fairly complex equation taking into account results from the last four years, the ranking of the opposition at the time of each match and the status of the match (friendly, qualifier, World Cup, etc.)
  • edited November 2017
    "There's something odd about the FIFA"

That covers just about everything.....
  • edited November 2017
    Russia's ranking is low because they've only won one competitive match since Euro 2016 when they beat New Zealand in the Confederations Cup. They lost the other two matches to Portugal and Mexico.

All their other games have been friendlies which have a multiplier of 1 whereas World Cup qualifiers have a multiplier of 2.5.
  • Slightly concerned as to what Russia might do to win games... I hope we are not drawn in their group event though it would give us a greater chance to win the group
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

alderz said:

Why is it that you gave an opinion, then I gave an opinion, then you say my opinion is wrong because of stats? Did you need to do that.

Stats could suggest that Van der Sar is the greatest prem keeper ever yet when he kept the record number of clean sheets yet almost all of the shots he faced were terrible. Stats can be manipulated. Our opinions are born from our own experiences and we're both entitled to them. Neither of us are incorrect.
  • If you don't like the statistics change the stats.
  • According to stats, Bilic brought us the most number of points per game since Bonds, I think. Just sayin'
  • Or alternatively, Payet brought us the most points per game since McAvennie/Cottee
  • Or I brought us the most points because I was wearing my lucky underwear...every game*.

*might not actually be true.
  • Maybe Jones isn't great but I think the problem is all the established CB aint that good, for example the time Cahill marked John Terry on a Corner....

DOwQnOuW4AATY98
  • A recovery Miracle.....

BREAKING: Tottenham trio Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Harry Winks all train today ahead of north London derby against Arsenal.