Likely team set up/formation/starting XI for 2017-18

2»

Comments

• If we go 3 at the back, I'd like to see zaba Reid ogbonna as the 3 rather than fonte..
  • I too prefer Zab to Fonte.
  • edited July 2017
    I'm not sure Zaba's tall enough to play as a CB even in a 3. Would need to be Fonte, Kouyate or Burke for me. However, I appreciate Zaba's a little taller than Mascherano, who played CB quite a bit for Barca. But I think for us in the EPL, we'd need someone stronger in the air there.
  • I look at Zabaleta in the same way as Azpilicueta.

Both RB's by trade, both under 6ft, both quite slow, but both can do a job at RCB in a back three.
  • I'm not sure Zaba's tall enough to play as a CB even in a 3. However, I appreciate Zaba's a little taller than Mascherano, who played CB quite a bit for Barca. But I think for us in the EPL, we'd need someone stronger in the air there.

He's a little taller than Stevie Potts as well ;biggrin

Personally I think we should play Reid, Kouyate and Ogbonna if we play 3 at the back.
  • Why play what would be a disillusioned Kouyate out of position when we have Fonte? He'd certainly leave then and we can't afford that to happen.
  • 4-2-3-1. It will be that
  • edited July 2017
    The way it's shaping up, we are probably looking at starting the season with this XI (due to Kouyate and Antonio's injury issues which could see them miss the first few games):

Hart
    Zabaleta - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Noble - Obiang
    Ayew - Lanzini - Arnautovic
    Chicharito

But playing away at Man Utd with that XI is going to leave us very open at the back, so maybe:

Hart
    Zabaleta - Reid - Ogbonna
    Byram - Noble - Obiang - Cresswell
    Lanzini - Arnautovic
    Chicharito

I think the Noble/Obiang combo is our best CM pairing but it requires Noble to be in form and not letting the game pass him by. Antonio will always push the XI but Ayew gives us a more technical, subtle option on the wing, whereas Antonio is more aggressive and direct.

Interesting times.
  • Don't think Reid will make it either he was out for 10 weeks at the end of the season.
  • I think some of the team choices will depend on the opponents this season, which isn't always an option for us. For example, if we're going to have a lot of possession, then you want Nobes and Obiang in cm and the more technical players attacking, like Ayew but if we're not going to have a lot of the ball we need the box-to-box players, the ones who can drive us forwards and give us more aerial presence like Kouyate and Antonio.
  • I like the 4231 for home and "easier" games and then 3421 for the tougher games.

But for me if fit AC starts the tougher games, he presence in both boxes, he ability to defend corners is a massive plus.
  • An sort-of-review of West Ham's transfer strategy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jul/26/west-ham-estabvlished-names-short-termism

Jacob Steinberg's default mode is one of criticism.