Terror attack in London

Comments

• Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot didn't believe in God
    Nobody is indoctrinated into a political belief until they are old enough to make their own minds up about things
    Ever heard of the Hitler Youth or Kosmosol?
    Judaeism, Christianity, and the Johnny come lately of Islam
    Christianity has been going for 2000 years, Islam 1400 years.
  • But a"belief" is just an opinion right?

And a religious "core teaching" is the interpretation/opinion of the author?
  • baracks

Well, I guess we differ in our understanding then, and no amount of to-ing and fro-ing will change that.

• Bad people will take politics and religion and interpret them to justify why they do bad things. It is a cloak, not a reason or an excuse or to be blamed.

If religion was not there bad people would choose something else to justify their 'cause'.

• Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot didn't believe in God

Nobody is indoctrinated into a political belief until they are old enough to make their own minds up about things
    Ever heard of the Hitler Youth or Kosmosol?
    Judaeism, Christianity, and the Johnny come lately of Islam
    Christianity has been going for 2000 years, Islam 1400 years.

Might be worth reading the following:

The Atheist Atrocities Fallacy – Hitler, Stalin & Pol Pot
  • I liked what Brendan Cox said: the person who carried out the London attack is no more representative of Muslims than the person who killed Jo Cox is representative of people from Yorkshire.
  • My point about indoctrination is only highlighted by your post Mrs Grey.
    Not really. MrsG is an atheist.

Grey
    I was not trying to say that Mrs G was indoctrinated, I was making the point that there is a difference between the indoctrination of children into religious belief, and the indoctrination of older people into political views. Political differences do cause wars, but at least the merits of a man made political belief system can be challenged by argument, but - to a person of faith - there is an in/out mode of thought going on - you cant 'sort of' believe.

Faith is the surrender of the mind and reason, it's the negation of the only thing as humans that makes us different from other animals.

That is definitely my last word - I should not post on Religon - sorry all ;fishslap
  • ;ok

It's not representative at all of anything really apart from maybe representative of nut jobs. That nut jobs will go to any length to make their point - if indeed he was trying to make a point on Wednesday.

• The World has gone mad imo , so much hate out there why can't people just get on
    and be happy to be alive .
  • The world has always been mad Brookings, or at least for as long as humans have been involved
  • edited March 2017
    Islam is a Johnny come lately of the major 3, its 600 years behind Christianity. Thats pretty late IMO...
    Not as late as the other (also man made) Mormons or Scientology - but there you go... ;wink
  • Islam is a Johnny come lately of the major 3, its 600 years behind Christianity. Thats pretty late IMO...
    Not as late as the other (also man made) Mormons or Scientology - but there you go... ;wink

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
  • Moojor said:
    No mention of the thousands of Catholic priests, Protestant pastors, nuns, monks and other Christians who died in the concentration camps?
    "the fact that his soldiers all wore the slogan "Gott Mit Uns" (God With Us) on their belts".
    "Gott Mit Uns" had been on Wermacht belt buckles since before 1914, Hitler just added a Swastika to the design and not all of his soldiers wore it, the Waffen SS had "Meine Ehre Heisst Treue!" (My Honour Is Loyalty!).

I didn't bother with Stalin or Pol Pot, if he can't even get his facts straight on Hitler there's little chance he's going to be any more reliable on them.
  • bbb
    Faith is the surrender of the mind and reason, it's the negation of the only thing as humans that makes us different from other animals.
    You probably don't intend to come across as smug self-satisfied and offensive, but that quotation certainly is.

Regardless of what you (or Hitchens or Dawkins or anyone else) may think, it is possible for intelligent, rational people to have a religious faith.

Your insistence that by admitting a faith I am admitting to being stupid and gullible is pretty offensive.
  • edited March 2017

Moojor said:
    No mention of the thousands of Catholic priests, Protestant pastors, nuns, monks and other Christians who died in the concentration camps?
    "the fact that his soldiers all wore the slogan "Gott Mit Uns" (God With Us) on their belts".
    "Gott Mit Uns" had been on Wermacht belt buckles since before 1914, Hitler just added a Swastika to the design and not all of his soldiers wore it, the Waffen SS had "Meine Ehre Heisst Treue!" (My Honour Is Loyalty!).

I didn't bother with Stalin or Pol Pot, if he can't even get his facts straight on Hitler there's little chance he's going to be any more reliable on them.

So what about all the actual quotes in the article or are those all just made up and never actually said?
  • Other animals don't have faith either.

So 'reason' isn't quite the only thing ....
  • Moojor

No one can stop someone self-identifying with a religion.

What you can do is show that that self-identification, and the beliefs stated by an individual, do not fairly represent the core values of a particular faith.

Here's what I see as a fundamental difference in world views:

Having had a quick look at that article, I think it might as well have been written in green ink, and is little short of ranting.

However, I don't assume that because that person is claiming to be an atheist that he is representative of atheists in general.

Similarly, if someone claims to be of a faith, and commits an atrocity, i don't assume that is the fault of the faith in question.
  • edited March 2017

Moojor said:

Can you link me the details of being used on their belts before the second world war. I have had a quick look around, which I admit at the moment is limited to Wikipedia, so not the best source ever, and although the term Gott Mit Uns was around before WW2. It states it was at that point it was at this put on their belts.
  • edited March 2017

Political differences do cause wars, but at least the merits of a man made political belief system can be challenged by argument, but - to a person of faith - there is an in/out mode of thought going on - you cant 'sort of' believe.

I disagree with your take on this.

While faith obviously is an in/out situation, how that faith plays out, what might be called the practising of your religion (daily life, moral codes, behaviour etc) is a man-made system and can be challenged by argument.

Indeed, it has been. And the evidence is that (for example) Christians all have the same faith, but belong to different (or no) churches. And there is dsagreement amongst them on may aspects of morality, behaviour etc - and which is challenged by argument all the time.
  • Grey,

But when two people can point to parts of a religious text and use it to justify their actions how can you say what is or isn't the core values of the faith.

Just because you, the general you, not you specifically, want the text and faith to be nice and kind doesn't mean that that is the core value.

Because someone else may want that religion to be violence and killing and can just as easily find those parts which support that view, that is something which is present in all current day religions. There are more than enough passaged in the official texts which support multiple different views of "core values"

If there is an almighty for these religions then he/she/it needs to do something about sending out a rev 2 or 3 of the texts because there are currently far to many people doing what they like in the name of their "God"
  • Moojor - like any politician don't look at what they said as much as what they did, Hitler persecuted the church and individual Christians. As for historians if they can't get simple facts straight then what else have they got wrong?

I'm not a Hitler expert

I used to be a Christian now I'm an atheist

I'm off to Dagenham to see my Mum then I'm off down the pub to meet my mate who I've known for 45 years.

Bye, bye, everyone, try not to start a religious war while I'm away....
  • edited March 2017
    Aslef,

There is nothing to say that someone who believes in a God won't hurt others who also believe in that God. The child abuse in the Catholic church for example shows that just believing in God doesn't make you suddenly really care for those who believe the same.

Hitler, was happy to persecute anyone or group of people who stood in his way, doesn't make him an atheist just because some of those where also Christian.

I'm not a Hitler expert either, but currently, with just a small amount of checking the statement, that it was the soldiers from WW2 who wore the slogan on their belts, even though it was in use before, so therefore it was a correct statement. Unless you have evidence that shows that to be incorrect.

Enjoy your beer :)
  • Moojor

Christianity was preached for around 50 years with no texts whatsoever.

The central belief was preached and passed on orally.

The religious texts associated with Christianity reflect the deposit of faith, they don't introduce it.

Pointing to a single passage in a single text and saying 'aha!' really isn't how it works.

I get that you are vehemently anti-religion, so I'm not sure we can get much further.

You'll think what you think regardless of anything I type.
  • That article though. Written by Michael J Sherlock.

Who adds, after his name 'author' in brackets, just in case we didn't get it. ;lol
  • Perhaps he doesn't believe it unless he sees it written down. ;biggrin
  • ;lol

I got as far as the 'final nail in the rotting coffin'.
  • bbb

You probably don't intend to come across as smug self-satisfied and offensive, but that quotation certainly is.

Regardless of what you (or Hitchens or Dawkins or anyone else) may think, it is possible for intelligent, rational people to have a religious faith.

Grey

I dont want to fall out with you - but I have to not give an inch on this, and take up a contrary position. By the way - I'm not smug, or self satisfied, but if I am offensive to people who believe in Fairies then crack on, thats me - I'm fed up with this stuff.

I think that if you claim to be truly rational, then a religious faith is out of the question, by the very nature of a belief in a idea that cannot be proven to be true, and who's source material I will say again is a collection of self help manuals for middle eastern tribesmen in the fertile crescent in the bronze age. I do reference the authors you say ( and others) as they argue from a modern scientific and fact based view point of probability, (and they also articulate it better than I can) after years of research.

Religons are all man made and therefore should be subject to extreme scrutiny by a rational being, unless you are prepared to countenance the 20th hand reports/ravings of ancient people who claimed to have seen visions, or claim to have met prophets or messiahs who were manifestly human beings just like them. Then subjected to filtering, review and change in the Rennaissance, and the revisions of the printers and clergy of the day. They also cannot all be literally true, so whatever 'tribe' you identify with, there will have to be a conflict over who has the mandate for the true 'spoken' word of any deity. So there you go - conflict from day 1.

The written texts in the 'Holy' books are therefore not the unfiltered word of any deity, and to hold a belief in them is not rational.

Also to have an opinion that without the so called civilising effect of religion we would all be savages is also untrue.

Lets agree to disagree - but lets not jump on people who think that we are better off without Zealots ( as was my original post) people committing atrocities driven by a so called religious calling - and for the record, the Christian Right in the States scares me to death as well - and they've got even bigger toys to play with..

• Gosh, I'm learning a lot. ;nonono
  • I think that if you claim to be truly rational, then a religious faith is out of the question
    And yet I do, and I am, and it isn't.

What I find irritating/insulting is your insistence that only you, and those who agree with you, have the right to call yourself rational, and that by assumption, as a person of faith, I am a gullible half-wit.

• I certainly dont think that you are a half wit.