Refs Blunders

Good report in the Sun newspaper this morning, stating facts about blundering Refs this season.
This is a report by " You are the ref.com.
The report claims Premier officials made a staggering 84 incorrect decisions in 334 games.
Refereeing howlers have cost the Hammers eight points which would have put them in second place in the league.
In March Chelsea were awarded a penalty against the hammers despite being outside the box.
Against Crystal Palace Kouyate was wrongly sent off and Palace leveled the score.
A week later lanzini wrongly had a goal disallowed for offside against Arsenal.
At leicester Andy Carroll was harshly ruled to have fouled Schlupp for a penalty to deny the Hammers victory.
The report also finds Newcastle and Norwich outside the drop zone, with Crystal Palace in
the bottom three, and Aston Villa still having a chance of survival.

Comments

• Point is it's impossible to know what would've happened had the decision been made correctly.

We may have lost 2-3 to Palace had Kouyate not been sent off. It's just assuming the score before the incorrect decision will remain that way.
  • edited April 2016
    Hammerex said:

Good report in the Sun newspaper this morning, stating facts about blundering Refs this season.
    This is a report by " You are the ref.com.
    The report claims Premier officials made a staggering 84 incorrect decisions in 334 games.
    Refereeing howlers have cost the Hammers eight points which would have put them in second place in the league.
    In March Chelsea were awarded a penalty against the hammers despite being outside the box.
    Against Crystal Palace Kouyate was wrongly sent off and Palace leveled the score.
    A week later lanzini wrongly had a goal disallowed for offside against Arsenal.

At leicester Andy Carroll was harshly ruled to have fouled Schlupp for a penalty to deny the Hammers victory.
    The report also finds Newcastle and Norwich outside the drop zone, with Crystal Palace in
    the bottom three, and Aston Villa still having a chance of survival.

Those are facts... but the rest is opinion.

It's all 'what ifs' and 'what might have been'.

84 incorrect decisions sounds a lot, but when you set it against the total number of decisions they make in a game, it's not that many, really. If you put it in context.

And yes, decisions affecting the score (eg disallowing a goal) are infuriating, all we know (as Luke says) is that the scoreline would have been different at that point. Not what it would have been at the final whistle.

• Well one result that we can be fairly certain of would have been the Leicester game if their penalty had not been gifted to them. ;hmm
  • And almost certainly the cheslea one too ;weep
  • Mrs G - well yes, but most of these decisions are not vital ones: throw-ins etc. 84 incorrect key decisions can (and I think does) make a difference in league placings. But I think refs do a reasonable job under the circumstances: they just need help with video technology NOW.
  • edited April 2016
    NE, well, probably - but the decision to give a penalty was, in the view of some, correct.

And if they are right, what you are in effect saying is, if the ref had made a mistake that went in our favour... we'd have won.

Which leads to the conclusion that if both right and wrong decisions that 'cost us points' had gone the other way, we'd have more points.

;hmm

Can't argue with that ;thumbsup
  • MrsGrey
    "And if they are right, what you are in effect saying is, if the ref had made a mistake that went in our favour... we'd have won."
    Well of course, I'm prepared to allow for the occasional ref's error ;biggrin
  • After all they're only human ;lol
  • sarawak - I mostly agree. Although I think even 'routine' type decisions got wrong can affect the game: a corner awarded instead of a goal kick, for example. ;ok
  • I would lay good money that we take all the points against CFC and LCFC so that's 4 right there.

I think it's a fair chance that we "could've" got all three points against AFC, even going 1-0 up, doesn't really prove anything, last year we did, had a goal disallowed harshly and still lost.

It's not just those 4 games and the FA Cup original tie vs MUFC though, we're bottom of that key decision league, but some way and all the other teams around the top of the PL are at the top of that decision league, they've all had much more go their way.

We've also had a ton of red cards and 2 rescinded, that doesn't help

We've hit the woodwork the 2nd highest, behind AFC

We've made the 2nd most unforced errors leading to goals conceded

Add all that up and that's the reason we're 6th and not 3rd.
  • I would lay good money that we take all the points against CFC and LCFC so that's 4 right there.

Your betting record is that good, is it? ;wink
  • ;ok Slizzy.

The only one that really gets my goat is the goal at OT that stood that had it been at the other end would not have.

• MrsGrey said:

I would lay good money that we take all the points against CFC and LCFC so that's 4 right there.

Your betting record is that good, is it? ;wink
    With the amount of time left on the clock, for me there are no other goals to be had.

;ok Slizzy.

The only one that really gets my goat is the goal at OT that stood that had it been at the other end would not have.

While I agree that is more of a "homer" decision, I could see it not being given either way, it's the one that in fact annoys me the least, because it was a series of events and while it was a foul on Randy....the German did bounce off one of ours.

Our performance in the replay annoys me more.
  • Our performance in the replay annoys me more.
    True, but that's not down to the ref, that's down to... well I'm not sure what that was down to really?

• It's down to us and we can control that.

That's why it annoyed me more.
  • Cant buy 8 points def vs Chelsea as end of game you cant say def Lanzini offside goal would have meant 4-3 win you camt def say if Kouyate stayed on CP would have not equalised
    Leicester wasnt a pen yes but many would argue ours wasnt or Huth was so hard done by yes had very little rub of green yes but 2nd no ;ok
  • Mrs G: yes, true. Raises the question of how far back video replays would go when reviewing a major decision. Could be another case of Fergie Time for Man U and the rich clubs - keep going til you find a foul!! Or am I showing my paranioa??
  • Sarawak ;ok .I think both of you make a valid point..... ;biggrin
  • krapnotpu said:

Sarawak ;ok .I think both of you make a valid point..... ;biggrin

Unfortunately we don't have the points though! ;weep

• We've also had a ton of red cards and 2 rescinded, that doesn't help

I think it's 3 rescinded so far this season, Kouyate twice and Noble I think. Also don't forget Schweinsteiger's rectrospective ban meaning we had to play against 11 not 10 in that game.
  • But one of those reds came in the cup, Buffy.
    But wasn't Oscar also retrospectively banned after our game? The four points we should definitely have had (Chelsea and Leicester) would have meant that we'd still be in 5th position, but only 1 point behind City. Also, we'd have 7th pretty much guaranteed by now. But it's no use crying over spilt milk, We have been lucky in some matches, too.