The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Moyes is the most boring, beige manager under the sun, add a bit of vanilla and that's Moyes, dull deluxe IMO, however, like already said, I'm just 1 of thousands who support the team from a foreign land, so that does not matter, it is the players he has to sort out, he is probably just about capable but a well underwhelming and inspring choice in my very humble opinion.
  • Stuart Pearce said to be coming back as well maybe Alan Irvine basically the same as last time.
  • edited December 2019

BBC comment
    1004. DaveSeagull

"Listen to Pellegrini's TV/Radio interviews - how can he get his ideas across when he can barely string half a dozen English words together!"

This sort of comment really winds me up. I've seen several like it and imo they are totally rubbish, and reveal the posters' ignorance.

Pellegrini speaks English competently. He has, of course, a non-RP accent (like many of us, I suspect), and a couple of non-standard pronunciations that reflect his first language roots.

I don't notice DaveSeagull and his ilk pointing out that many first-language English commentators and pundits whose job it is to communicate very frequently make grammatical errors, such as incorrect use of past participles, using adjectives when conventional grammar requires an adverb, ineptitude in the use of comparative adjectives and so on.
    I don't notice the DaveSeagulls of this world quite so vigilant then. I wonder why? :doh:

• Hamstew said:

I just don't understand how they can get rid of him in the first place if he was doing such a fantastic job but now want him back. I get if they want a shirt term fix bit it sounds like he's getting it for the long term.

Exactly this. They basically said he wasn't good enough by employing Pellegrini. Just because he turned out to be awful doesn't make Moyes any better.

But unfortunately this is just another example of the three at the top reaping what they've sowed. You run the club like a circus, you're only really going to attract clowns.
  • 3 people out if touch with the modern game. Duck if you're sitting in row Z
  • Moyes did beat Chelsea , won away at Huddersfield 4-1 and beat Leicester away 2-0 from memory so we did have some decent performances under him , the frustrating thing for me this season is we know the team can play better , we have decent players yet we can’t seem to transfer it into performances and results .
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/29/west-ham-david-moyes-manuel-pellegrini

Suggestion here is that Gold always wanted to keep Moyes (I think I remember that from discussions at the time). It was Sullivan who wanted to 'go in a different direction' and get a manager who had more 'cachet' in order to attract better players and implement an attractive playing style.

• They basically said he wasn't good enough by employing Pellegrini. Just because he turned out to be awful doesn't make Moyes any better.

Not necessarily - that's one interpretation, but as I pointed out in an earlier comment, opting for one type of manager over another doesn't mean the one you rejected is 'no good'. Just not right for what you want to do at the time.

The situation has changed. Now he IS (presumably, if all the rumours are to be believed) right for what they want to do at this time.

(I'm not that keen on Moyes, and he definitely expressed his disgruntlement publicly last time so I'd be interested to see what gloss he puts on it if he comes back now.)
  • I also seem to remember that Pellegrini was basically a done deal for the summer following Slav's departure, and that Moyes was brought in as a short term fix to tide us over. Obviously Moyes might not have been told this at the time, but that is certainly what was said by many once Pellegrini arrived, so it doesn't necessarily mean that Moyes was let go because he wasn't doing a good enough job, just that he (as far as Sullivan was concerned) was only ever a stop gap.
  • That article said yarmo up for sale I didn’t know that
  • Hamstew said:

I'm getting so much stick from mates :weep:

Suck it up.

You should be used to it by now.
  • thick skin = west ham requirement

• I'm lucky, I work with virtually all City fans, we're so far down the table, we're not seen as a threat... :lol:
  • I'm down the boozer being torn to shreds by Palace and Brighton fans. I need skin as thick as an Elephant
  • Just remind them that they are Palace fans.
  • Why does anybody care what other fans think?
  • edited December 2019
    Jorderz :ok: personally, I left that kind of worry back in my primary school playground.
  • Why does anybody care what other fans think?

Easier said than done, especially when perhaps half ( I know people will say I'm wrong ) it's fine, don't even want the incoming one...
  • jay

Still don't get shy we should care what other fans think. If they aren't West Ham fans, they clearly know nothing about football... :wink:
  • Well personally because it's up to me how I feel.
  • I've been waiting for a stat person to work out what our points will be at the end of the season basing it on his last stint-
    P31
    W9
    D10L12

This time he he has only 19 games to work with ( forget cup matches )...

:ok:
  • Hamstew said:

Well personally because it's up to me how I feel.

Sure, and I wasn’t trying to say otherwise or dig anybody out.

It’s just something I don’t really get. It’s obvious people are taking shots to get a reaction and nothing more. Why give them one?
  • Cotten on Soccer Sunday thinks Moyes should be given the job on a permanent basis.
  • Jorderz I'm not really that bothered what people think it was just a comment on a forum. My mates are just trying to dig me out the same as when Jose joined spurs I did the same to them. Unless it's someone else you are referring to as being bothered :ok:
  • I gave my Spurs mates hell when Jose got the job :devil:

I’m currently getting in back in spades :lol:

I love it :wahoo:
  • Hamstew said:

Well personally because it's up to me how I feel.

Who said it wasn't? By the same token, I'm free to feel how I want, including not getting why you feel as you do.
  • Cotten on Soccer Sunday thinks Moyes should be given the job on a permanent basis.

Nick or Dot?
  • I might have meant Cottee :biggrin:
  • Someone asked who we beat when he was here before:

Chelsea 1-0 H
    Stoke 3-0 A
    WBA 2-1 H
    Huddersfield 4-1 A
    Shrewsbury 1-0 H
    Watford 2-0 H
    Southampton 3-0 H
    Leicester 2-0 A
    Everton 3-1 H