Harry Kane trying to nick a goal, and is he world class?

Comments

• So Spurs appeal the goal at the weekend which was awarded to Erikson, claiming it was Harry Kane.

Doesn’t quite sit right with me.
  • It's all to do with Kane getting the Golden Boot, next they will be appealing if he is in the stadium when Spurs score a goal!
  • If they consider it a flippant appeal will the FA penalise him 1 goal? ;lol
  • IronHerb said:

If they consider it a flippant appeal will the FA penalise him 1 goal? ;lol

That would be sweet ;biggrin
  • The fa would get it wrong and award him a extra one can’t wait till Kane and poch are at Real Madrid
  • Cuz1 said:

The fa would get it wrong and award him a extra one can’t wait till Kane and poch are at Real Madrid

Then I will think we’ll all see how ordinary Harry Kane is, I just think his desperation in trying to claim Eriksen’s goal is pitiful.
  • It’s one thing to criticise him appealing for the goal (personally I thought he did touch it anyway?) but to suggest he is ordinary is very, very incorrect.
  • alderz,
    He may be special in the PL compared to other English players, once he’s at Real Madrid I think it will be very different.
  • He is a truly world class striker. I don’t believe there is much evidence to point to the contrary
  • Also I didn’t think it was clear he had touched the ball from the playback.
  • It’s not just in comparison to English players though, is it. He’s the best striker in the richest league in the world. Trying to suggest otherwise smacks of sour grapes
  • alderz,
    I just don’t this country has any world class players at all as we will see at the World Cup this year.
  • We’ll be bad at the World Cup but that doesn’t mean he isn’t world class.
  • edited April 2018
    First, define 'world class'.
  • My personal definition is are they in the top 3-4 in the world in their position
  • MrsGrey said:

First, define 'world class'.

Tomkins
  • Harry Kane would probably tear up the Spanish League imo. Zaza managed to ;lol and he hit the corner flag with a shot from on the edge of the box when he played for us.
  • It didn't hit the corner flag, but if it did, it would have been nearer the goal, the shot went out for a throw in. ;lol
  • Cambridge Dictionary:

Someone or something world-class is one of the best that there are of that type in the world
  • Don't see how anyone can say Kane is anything other then world class

He's scored 20+ goals in the last 4 premier league seasons and is still only 24(!!!), including breaking shearers records for EPL goals in a calender year

You look at the best strikers in the world right now they are all at their peak late at around 30, Ronaldo (33), Messi (29), Lewandowski (29), Cavani (31), Higuain (30), Aguero (29), Aubameyang (28) even Griezmann isn't young at 27

I'd say if you look past the obvious two, i'd say only Lewandowski and Cavani I would put above Kane right now, and kane does it in a much stronger league
  • edited April 2018

Someone or something world-class is one of the best that there are of that type in the world

An excellent example of when dictionary definitions are not as useful as you hope they might be. ;puzzled

• I wouldn’t put Cavani ahead of Kane, personally.
  • edited April 2018
    I suppose in the world you're looking at Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero as the best strikers currently around. I would say Kane could be in that group too. I would say though that the first three are probably better all round players, whereas Kane is more a finisher. So I think if you're looking at Kane you'd say world class finisher, as opposed to world class striker, because I think his competitors are better all round players.

His goal-scoring record is certainly world class.
  • Kane would get into any other teams world cup squad and he would also start. He is world class. He scores with head and both feet. He can also spot a pass and he's strong in possession and by all accounts has a good work ethic. Where is there a weakness in his game?
  • He goes down to easily for me
  • I'm surprised no mention of Suarez, I think he is a quality number 9 works his backside off for the team as well.
  • If anyone ever offered Suarez to the daves, they should bite their hand off..
  • And if they didn’t take up the offer he would bite them back
  • Harry Kane's main problem for me is he plays for Spurs ;lol
  • alderz said:

It’s not just in comparison to English players though, is it. He’s the best striker in the richest league in the world. Trying to suggest otherwise smacks of sour grapes

He may, or may not be the best striker (depending on your view point) in the richest league in the world but I don’t think richest means the best league as you seem to imply.