Post-transfer discussions (inc is Zab a decent RB/signing)

Thought we'd give these their own thread.

Comments

• I don't think signing one player we will suddenly start winning every week , also I don't get this "next level thing " realistically we won't be a top 6 side anytime soon the clubs there will always have more money and more attraction . D&G may have had wishful thinking we would push on but I never seriously considered it to happen.

I disagree. I think we need to ;

A) identify what we are lacking in our squad (e.g. Pace, passing, younger playeds etc)

B) player positions (e.g. Striker).

Then the next step is finding quality players that improve our FIRST 11 rather than adding to the squad. I realise this isn't easy in January but that should still remain our/my philiosophy when it comes to transfers. It's quality over quantity. 1 or 2 high quality signings that strengthen our team rather than our squad rather than signing a squad player.

If we want to move forwards on the pitch. it's more about A) finding a player that's stronger than our current starter in that position, and B) move that player who was currently a starter to the bench. That's how we will improve our squad.

In addition, it's also a case of looking at which players that we have are past their best and on a steady decline, and attempt to sell as soon as this decline starts (rather than a few years in to maximise the transfer fee). A few exceptions to this rule though for example Collins and I guess even Noble.
  • welove

Whilst I completely agree with the sentiment, I think the owners did that in the summer. On paper, Arnie, Hernandez, Zabaleta and (to some at least) Hart were all upgrades on our first XI. The club wanted quality over quantity, and that’s what they did.

The trouble is, fans aren’t happy unless it’s quality and quantity.
  • I agree my point was people seemed to think by signing one player a DM we would sunddenly improve massively when we are doing ok at the moment . I agree we need to add better players I would prefer one or two top players To improve first team and a couple of younger players for squad depth in the summer and a new goalkeeper when hart goes . Easier said than done I still feel top 6 is unrealistic we need to become a regular top 10 team first .
  • I agree my point was people seemed to think by signing one player a DM we would sunddenly improve massively when we are doing ok at the moment . I agree we need to add better players I would prefer one or two top players To improve first team and a couple of younger players for squad depth in the summer and a new goalkeeper when hart goes . Easier said than done I still feel top 6 is unrealistic we need to become a regular top 10 team first .

Fair enough. I think under the Bilic era, a high quality DM (with the right attributes) would've solved a lot of our problems. However right now under Moyes we're not getting overran in midfield so I'll have to agree a great DM wouldn't make as MUCH difference (although it would still help!)
  • alderz said:

welove

Whilst I completely agree with the sentiment, I think the owners did that in the summer. On paper, Arnie, Hernandez, Zabaleta and (to some at least) Hart were all upgrades on our first XI. The club wanted quality over quantity, and that’s what they did.

The trouble is, fans aren’t happy unless it’s quality and quantity.

For me from day 1 I was never inspired by the Hart signing. Same goes for Zabaleta (not saying he's a bad signing from a financial perspective but in terms of quality he's not a 'big' signing).
  • wlth

Both were vanity signings imo, cheap up front (free and loan), big names for Sully to brag about, but past their best so not good or appropriate signings for the club especially as both are undoubtedly on big wages.
  • I would like to see a direct winger, someone hat gets the ball and runs straight at the opposition defense. After that I want a small high intensity midfielder. Someone with great balance that is constantly after the ball.
  • What, you mean like Arnautovic and Lanzini? ;biggrin
  • Kinda! I imagine the centre midfielder more sticky and powerful, and the winger more agile!
  • Sounds like Bonzo and Johnny Sissons to me ...
  • We love
    Those are fair points
    However I think most thought we were ok in goal
    With regards to Zabaleta that’s a typical sully signing a short term fix
  • Imo I still believe zab as been a good signing
  • edited February 2018
    I like Zabaleta however we have struggled at Right back ever since Thomas repka retired can we not just invest in one pleeeeeease
  • Love Zaba, he’s been very consistent.
  • “Żaba” in Polish (pronounced “zhabba “) means “frog”. A propos of nothing.
  • Macca85 said:

I like Zabaleta however we have struggled at Right back ever since Thomas repka retired can we not just invest in one pleeeeeease

They did Sam Byrom Young with a few injuries but imo again he will be ok long term
  • Byram no where near good enough
  • edited February 2018
    The point with Zab, good signing or not, he was only ever going to do the job for a season. I think he’s been a pretty bad signing and the reason for that is he was bought as a RB and played about 4 games there due to being targeted every game. So he now plays positions (RWB, CDM) he’s 1) not suited for and 2) wasn’t bought for.

Can’t question his character but he isn’t what we need. I’d be interested to know how many full-backs in the PL now are 32+? Might have a look today.
  • It was my hope that Byram could learn from him, he is after-all a total professional (you can see why the Citeh fans loved him so) but due to injury/suspension he has been used in other areas.
  • Sorry, Macca, you think Byram is not good enough, but you think Repka at RB was?
    Wow.
  • Good RB's at West Ham...

Gap - Lucas Neil - Gaaaaaaaap - Ray Stewart....
  • You missed out Faubert Vorse. ;lol
  • Demel was our best in recent years IMO.
  • I liked him.
  • Joey O'Brien was good ;ok

Going back a few years, Schemmel had that great season on loan. Faubert always did a decent job for us too, I liked him
  • Herb - yeah he was quality.....

Demal was ok, but I think we change then from good RB's to good RB's vs the rest.

I thought that O'brian had one good season at RB but he wasn't a good RB...

If you follow my train of thought....
  • I liked repka yea and to be honest I forget about guy demel
  • Makes me laugh when people talk about liking him as a person and character but question his ability and performances, think he’s had a good season for us imo and credit to him at his age for his versatility
  • its just a bit frustrating as its another stop gap.
    a bit of investment ooops no chance of that in a right back at a good age fitter etc etc
  • I think Zaba was a great signing.