Transfer Director Tony Henry (suspended) dismissed by club

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42898043

This is being discussed on a couple of threads, so I'll merge them here.

Comments

• Sack him now, this is not 1970
  • But that's not his decision is it? We need to know who made that call.
  • West Ham the club that never fail to embarrass themselves.
  • Just read the article you CANT sack him for that
    He said he wasn’t keen on Russian players or Italians as they have trouble settling
    And although we have some good African lads in team more often than not than can be hard work to deal with
    That’s not racist that’s him speaking from experience
  • edited February 2018
    You should treat every person as a individual and not make generalizations.

That is the route of Racism, classing a group of people as the same and then giving that group a set type of characteristics which then prescribes how you treat them.

Outside of that when your the head of recruitment you should be looking under every rock to find people not turning your back on the worlds biggest contintent....

I really hope we haven't missed out on the next Drogba, George Weah, Essien, Eto, Salah, Mane, Yaya Toure because of this discrimination.......
  • edited February 2018
    Macca85 said:

That’s not racist that’s him speaking from experience

No, that's him making negative and discriminatory generalisation about race based on a few individuals.

Racist.

(if accurately reported.)

His comments about Russians and Italians are equally bigoted, but not racist ... and one kind of prejudice can't be used to justify other kinds of prejudice.
  • Released 30 minutes before the end of the transfer window - with our rebuttal released almost immediatly. A conspiacy theorist would say that Henry has been thrown under the bus here for a terrible transfer window.
    However, This leak begs all sorts of questions regarding who else in the club Henry has had these discussions with - Moyes / Sullivan ???
    This will not go away any time soon.
    And I thought I'd heard it all.
  • Released 30 minutes before the end of the transfer window - with our rebuttal released almost immediatly.

Good. Swift action. That's what I like to see.

bbb, would a conspiracy theorist say the leak and the timing of the leak to the Daily Mail was arranged by the club? #thatwaymadnesslies
  • He's been suspended pending an investigation by the club so they've taken some action fairly quickly.
  • Slightly worrying that he refers to 'we' in the article. Suggests there were more that shared that thinking.

Moyes? Sully?
  • edited February 2018
    MrsGrey said:

His comments about Russians and Italians are equally bigoted, but not racist ... and one kind of prejudice can't be used to justify other kinds of prejudice.

Not racist but xenophobic
  • I took it to refer to the club.
  • MrsGrey said:

Released 30 minutes before the end of the transfer window - with our rebuttal released almost immediatly.

Good. Swift action. That's what I like to see.

bbb, would a conspiracy theorist say the leak and the timing of the leak to the Daily Mail was arranged by the club? #thatwaymadnesslies
    All I will say is - nobody is talking abaout our transfer dealings in the light of this news. it takes time to prepare a rebuttal like that.
    Mission accomplished?? - I honestly dont know.
    Hes been suspended by the way. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42898043
    Hope he has his own email trail - that could be fun, but I think that Moyes may be in trouble - it must have been discussed with him for Henry to have made the comments that he had.
  • sorry - posted in the other thread
    Cant keep up ;doh
  • it takes time to prepare a rebuttal like that..

Not very much time. 15 minutes?
  • Could be a whole host of people in trouble here. Sully and Moyes, as well as Henry.
  • edited February 2018
    And Kouyate now posts on insta ‘African and proud’

What is wrong with the powers that be at this club.

Any good work they do is undone by one amateur hour.
  • Trying to find out exact timings ;bee
  • sorry - posted in the other thread
    Cant keep up ;doh

Sorry, I was having my breakfast.

I've moved them over now ;ok
  • Why they are there can there discipline Henry for the three transfer windows
  • Lukerz said:

And Kouyate now posts on insta ‘African and proud’

What is wrong with the powers that be at this club.

Any good work they do is undone by one amateur hour.

It's like as a club we only ever open our mouths to change feet...
  • However it's good to know that we are no longer run like a circus. ;doh
  • I think this is an incredibly sad situation. I hope Kouyate and the other players affected get massive support on Saturday, and I'm sure they will.
  • Agree wit the 2nd part. ;ok

n fact, I hope they are already getting loads of support on social media.