Changes to games and TV schedule

edited February 2018 in Men's First Team
West Ham home to...

Brighton now Friday 20 October at 8pm (live on Sky).
Leicester now Friday 24 November at 8pm (live on Sky).

Comments

• Oooh! October 20th, my birthday. Nice 3 points pressie please. ;wahoo
  • By my reckoning we could only have 1 Saturday 3pm kick-off at home between now and Christmas. Shocking.
  • I like it when we're on TV in a game we might actually win. Or does that make the humiliation even more awful ;weep
  • It means him_indoors will miss more games as he works on a Friday night ;angry
  • By my reckoning we could only have 1 Saturday 3pm kick-off at home between now and Christmas. Shocking.

Ain't it though ;angry
  • Friday night football ,don't seem right somehow ;nonono
  • It's still possible that we play Chelsea and Newcastle at home on a Saturday 3pm in December.
  • I was quite happy with my annoyance how dare you bring those god dam facts in here !
  • The Spurs (A) game has been moved from New Years Eve to 4 Jan.

Reason: The Safety Advisory Group at Wembley Stadium would only recommend a maximum crowd of 43,000.

The change of date will allow capacity to be increased.
  • Also, I was told a few weeks ago that the PL wanted kick off to be 7.30 but the police said no way did they want 56000 coming out of the stadium at around 10pm on New Year's Eve.
    For a while now the kick off has been shown as TBA.
    Sound move to switch it.
  • Can't help but feel that if this had involved our stadium, the owners would have been getting pelters...
  • Imagine if the PL had got their way and the stadium had been allowed full capacity it could have been 90000 or more. They were obviously compromising as it went on and got it down to 43000 but pleased the club's kept objecting along with the police.
  • I think there will be more changes as now there fixtures are
    2nd January W B A
    4th January Spurs
    6th January Shrewsbury
  • Its a conspiracy to send us down ........well the jokes on them because we can manage that on our own . ;whistle
  • Is 6 Jan confirmed, or could it be 7th?
  • Me confused. Com
  • Glad we got that sorted ;biggrin
  • BBC sport says West Ham playing , 2nd 4th and 6th, subject to change.
  • The OS also says it but it will obviously change. Most cup ties take place on the Saturday hence the 6th is shown but I expect us to play on the Sunday or even the Monday.
  • edited December 2017
    I know it must be TV related, but how on earth have we played on Boxing Day as most teams have, but then we're not playing Saturday, Sunday or Monday, then we have to play on Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and Sunday afternoon?

I know there are a lot of games played at this time of year, so why are we not playing for a week, and then have 3 games in less than 5 days?
  • buffy

I'm pretty sure the Spurs game got postponed because the police wanted us to have a reduced capacity for the game. That was meant to be our game on the 30th but now its being played in the New Year
  • edited December 2017
    alderz said:

buffy

I'm pretty sure the Spurs game got postponed because the police wanted us to have a reduced capacity for the game. That was meant to be our game on the 30th but now its being played in the New Year

Ok, thanks. Still seems farcical. They wanted the game on TV but it would have meant it being played on New Years Eve which lead to the transport concerns apparently. So either play it in a Saturday televised slot, or pick another game. This is a ridiculous solution imo, and I'm surprised the clubs agreed to it.
  • edited December 2017
    The Spurs match was originally scheduled to be played on 31st December, the Safety Advisory Council recommended that attendance should be limited to 43k because the Tube will be running a reduced service during the day and evening so that we can run 24 hours as we always do on New Years Eve.

There are only so many Tube drivers available
  • I heard someone thought a 19.30 kick off on New Years Eve was a good idea. ;doh
  • edited December 2017
    ASLEF

The match would surely originally have been scheduled for Saturday 30th, it was only when TV selected it to be broadcast that it would have been moved to New Years Eve. If that wasn't going to work, it should have reverted to its original date imo. Surely we as a club must have been consulted about this, why on earth would we have agreed to this outcome?
  • Just going off what I read at the time, but I think we were given the option of postponing to next week or playing on NYE in front of a reduced attendance, meaning loss of earnings through ticket sales
  • All the matches were originally scheduled for the Saturday, it wasn't until the end of October that they announced that we'd be televised on the Sunday, 2:15pm kick off, in between Palace v City noon and WBA v Arsenal 4:30pm.

The move to January was announced in December, maybe it was too late for the Met to organise a switch back to the Saturday
  • I don't think clubs can refuse a televised match so it was a choice of play on the 4th or play on the Sunday with a very reduced attendance as Alderz states.
  • Any idea what the allowed attendance is for this game? They moved it because they would have capped it at 43k but we only got 2,700 allocation with the move.