Jose Fonte signs

According to the club's twitter feed

Comments

• This is a very, very good signing I think ;ok
  • I think so. Perhaps a little pricey at £8m (rumoured not confirmed?) But we need a bit more resolve in defence.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38694821

According to the BBC, 2.5 year deal and he gets the option to extend by a year
  • He does what he wants
  • Welcome José!

A little steep in my opinion for his age, but we have been shipping goals and he is better than we have in that position (other than Reid).

For me currently: Reid; Fonte; Collins; Oxford; Ogbonna.
  • Welcome to the club.
  • Welcome to the best team in the world, Jose ;scarf ;scarf
  • Did Tonks go for £10m? Is my memory right?
  • Can he play up Fonte ? ;yercoat
  • Yes MrsG, rumoured fee
  • Poor 8m for a 33 year old might get 1 and a half season.
  • Disagree Yeold. Top level players are so fit these days I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in the PL until he's 36/37, particularly with his injury record being pretty impeccable.

He improves the team for now and for next season, and hopefully by the season after Oxford or Burke will oust him.
  • Welcome....

When was the last time we had a player that was the current holder of an international cup? ;hmm
  • Yeold - as long as their game is not based on pace I feel most footballers will play longer than we have been used to in the past. Modern training, sports science, physio therapy, better eating and drinking habits (even late 90's the boys were reg on the lash) the days of 32/33 being retirement are gone (baring a significant injury). I feel top class players will regularly play until 36/37.

...however I agree 8m was a touch expensive when his contract didn't have that long left.
  • Damnit alderz! 2nd place, 1st loser.
  • West Ham have had to recall and reprint all the programmes for tomorrow's game because they've got a new Fonte.

;yercoat
  • He's not expensive if he performs

Not a real area of need but it's worth noticing how poor Ogbonna has been this year and while we all love Collins Fonte is a level above him

Hopefully he can help us as we've shipped far too many goals this season
  • edited January 2017
    £8m is nothing.

This is the equivalent of Everton signing Ashley Williams, and they spent £11m on him.

Top CB. Will immediately strengthen the first XI. Top signing. This is the exact sort of quality I was expecting us to sign in the summer.

Now get Defoe.
  • FONTE TARGETS TROPHIES

And Jose Fonte has said hello to West Ham. He has told the club website why he decided to join from Southampton.

“I signed for West Ham because they are a great club and a very big club. They have a lot of fans and I have known for a number of years how passionate they are.

“The manager was also a very big influence. I thought that he really wanted me and that he sold me the project and the ambition of the club.

“I also have part of my family living in London and they are big West Ham fans. It just made sense for me at this stage to join West Ham. It is a new challenge and a new beginning and I am looking forward to it.

“With the way that West Ham is going we can only look to be challenging in the top eight.

“I told the manager in conversations that we want to win and we want to win trophies. The ambition is big and we need to aim high.

“West Ham are a massive club and it is an exciting challenge and it should be for everyone. We all need to get together and start working.”

Skysports
  • £8m is nothing.

This is the equivalent of Everton signing Ashley Williams, and they spent £11m on him.

Top CB. Will immediately strengthen the first XI. Top signing. This is the exact sort of quality I was expecting us to sign in the summer.

This. And he's better than Williams ;ok
  • alderz said:

Dparticularly with his injury record being pretty impeccable.

That's gone and done it

• Genuine question - is it pronounced like font or like Fon-tay?
  • I told you all the other day the Fonte transfer would not happen! Does that mean I am now in the ITK bracket for saying something transfer wise and getting it totally wrong? ;whistle (also Suz, I was waiting to use a Font pun but, again, I didnt think he'd come to us ;doh )

Welcome Jose! ;biggrin
  • Reading on Twitter this morning that Ogbonna is due to have season-ending surgery, which is why we've signed Fonte ;hmm

Nothing official and maybe just a rumour, but one to keep an eye on.
  • OCS - if Oggy's been carrying an injury that would certainly explain why his performances haven't been as good as last year
  • Adam said:

Genuine question - is it pronounced like font or like Fon-tay?

Apparently its Font not Fon-tay