Terrace Images

Preston players walk off at half time covered in mud,during a match with Charlton Athletic at The Valley in 1937.

Comments

• Great picture Suz. ;ok
  • Proper ballers
  • They seem to be playing in wellies.
  • The shin pads in those days were about 1" thick
  • edited January 2016
    Guy on the right has been playing in his cardigan. Maybe he's an official.

Or used it as a goalpost.
  • Hamden Park in 1974 for the Scottish Cup final between Celtic & Dundee United.

• Blimey, football players were much smaller in the olden days.
  • It was the poor diet back then of coal and whippets.
  • That Valley picture is priceless, I certainly played on a couple of shockers in my time, but in truth, I wonder if I ever played a game on a pitch quite like that.

I suppose the silver lining is that the players that day presumably did not have to contend with the rather smelly, natural and organic additives that posed an everyday hazard on the park pitches I did play on.

;biggrin
  • I wouldn't be so sure chicago ;puzzled
  • View over The City Ground, full to bursting in 1957 #NFFC #NottinghamForest

• Preston players walk off at half time covered in mud,during a match with Charlton Athletic at The Valley in 1937.

Played on plenty of pitches like this, not so bad with screw ins. The real problem was playing on a pitch like this that was frozen. Painful.
    ;weep
  • Ouch... ;puzzled
  • Old football pictures "Wembley, Saturday April 28th 1923. The first match at the stadium, theFA Cup final between Bolton and West Ham. The official attendance was 126,047 but perhaps 200,000 got into the ground - it was the last FA Cup final not to be all-ticket. What I find amazing about the picture is that London is missing, Wembley appears to be in the middle of a field! Things have certainly changed over the past 90 years or so".

• I went to Charlton on Boxing Day 1992. It was the second game after they moved back to The Valley and they had only built two stands (I think the Hammers fans sat in a temporary stand built from scaffolding)!
    Along the sides, the old terraces were still standing. They were enormous! The old ground must have been quite imposing.
  • Saw these on twitter
    Screenshot_2016-02-08-19-59-17

Screenshot_2016-02-08-19-58-54
  • The boy is the only one not wearing a cap or hat ;biggrin
  • The view from the North Bank terraces of Highbury, 1920's #Arsenal #AFC

• Reading fans cram in to their former home at Elm Park, 1930s #ReadingFC #Royals

• Reading fans cram in to their former home at Elm Park, 1930s #ReadingFC #Royals

Huntley And Palmers - Kings among biscuit makers (and football sponsors evidently) ;bowdown

Doesn't it look like those two chaps in the middle of the photograph are secretly holding hands?
  • And I cannot believe it was comfortable or safe to sit on one of those barriers, the way they are all dressed, I can only assume it was a Huntley and Palmers employee outing
  • Watford's home at Vicarage Road in 1932 #Watford

• Boleyn Ground in 1988 #WestHam #WHU

• Fans queue outside Hampden Park for tickets to the 1960 European Cup final between Eintracht Frankfurt & Real Madrid.

• They would have found it worthwhile as it was a great game.
  • It's the orderly nature of the queue that struck me.