Ginge signs 2 year extension

This discussion was created from comments split from: Pre January 2016 Window - Transfer Spec.

Comments

• Can see Collins, O'Brien, Antonio and Carroll all being possible departures making way for 3 new additions.

Collins has just signed a new 2 year deal

• http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015/December/24-December/Ginge-signs-contract-until-2018

Genuinely delighted for him, but also pleased for the club.

It's easy to see players as commodities, but when you read what Ginge says you see how much it means to him (and presumably most players.)

I really like the fact that we don't seem to be going all 'Citeh' and simply going out and buying everyone we can afford, but are assessing players we have, and rewarding hard-work and good performances.

For me, it allows the squad to develop and improve, rather than simply getting in a whole load of players and seeing what happens.

I would imagine it is also good for squad morale.

• Great move.

We all bang on about how we want players to play for the shirt, give 100% and all that.

Well with James Collins it does exactly what it says on the tin.

He'll make the odd mistake but he'll save us more points than he costs us.

Great professional too.
  • Gingerbeard Man ;bowdown
  • 'staring down the barrel of being 4th choice centre back' at the start of the season

'had to get my head down and prove that my attitude, training and performances could earn me a contract'

;clap

Glad you are staying, sir ;thumbsup ;scarf
  • Excellent news...

Both his spells with us he has given 100% an excellent squad player.
  • I was a bit ;hmm when we re-signed him but I am over the moon with this news. Got his head down, worked hard, doesn't complain when he isn't a regular starter and has now fully deserved his extension. Rarely lets anyone down when called upon.
  • Good news. Well done Ginge
  • ;wahoo ;wahoo ;wahoo

Best early Christmas present ever!

Delighted as much for him and his family as for us.
  • A great professional.
  • A good deal for all concerned. Well done Ginge ;ok
  • I'm really glad James Collins has signed a new contract that great news.
    Not sure we could afford to do a Citeh and buy up all the talent and I'm glad of that. Developing young players is good for the game in general and enables players to grow and develope together as a team. Teams like Chelsea & Man City who simply buy up talent and by extension success are plastic and false and that is not the kind of football team I want West Ham United to develope into.
  • Really, really great news, hard to imagine him being anything other than a really positive influence in the dressing room.

Works for me
  • What's he singing? ;whistle
  • Very good news.
    Grey totally agree with your comments ;ok
  • Great news ;thumbsup ;thumbsup . Fantastic that the club has rewarded a true servant for the club. Terrific professional, rock solid defender + a great man to have around the club. Going forward he will be a great influence on the youngsters, especially Oxford and Burke.

With Ogbonna, Tomkins, Reid, Collins and Burke (after potentially a full season playing regularly in the Football League) our defensive options look brilliant going to the OS. One thing which is for sure though (as shown this season), he will get games- people get knocks (esp WHU ;lol ) Suspensions, good cup runs, tactical changes a la tomkins this season moving to RB.
  • Good news
    Does anybody think ging Will get testimonial and should he ?
    I think he should if he has done 10 years combined service for the club
  • Can one of the mods pls move this to the thread where Jarvis is being discussed as I can't post in there!!

Well done to the Dave's for getting some sort of a fee for him. As others have said a grossly over the top fee paid for him, but that's not his fault. A good deal for us, good for Norwich and good for him - it's one of those where everyone comes out on top.
  • I ;hug Ginge. #oldschool
  • Not a coincidence that it comes a week before the window opens in my opinion. There are plenty of clubs down the bottom who need a Ginge that gives everything. His performances these last few weeks would not have gone unnoticed, least not in Sunderland I imagine. I suspect the board didn't want his head being turned to deals and us having to dig in, this piece of news lets them all know it's a non starter.
  • edited December 2015
    BBC story has a screenshot of AC's twitter page

With this caption ....

West Ham team-mate Andy Carroll has revealed his nickname for Collins

;doh

I know I go on about it, so you probably think have a bee in my bonnet, but really??? This is a sports journalist employed by the BBC?

;doh
  • C&B I doubt his head would have been turned. On the OS he stated how worried he and his wife were that they may have had to leave. All he wanted was to stay at West Ham.
  • edited December 2015
    Rarely have I seen such uniformity of views about a player, which says a huge amount imo. We've finally got 4 centre backs (even if one is turning into our first choice RB at the moment), and Collins knows that he won't usually be a starter when everyone is fit but he's a great professional who goes about his business and then does the business on the pitch when he's asked to.

Really pleased for him as he's got a youngish family and appears settled here, and pleased for us that he'll be around, both on the pitch and as an example to the youngsters off it, for another couple of years. ;thumbsup
  • Well, he's better than Roger the Relegator as 4th choice ;wink ;lol

Seriously, he has said many times he didn't want to leave first time round and he loves the club. He is taking care of his body and training, he knows he may not always start, but keeps himself ready. What a great role model for the younger players.
  • Ginge, the Gingelator. ;handbag